Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cross wife

(78 Posts)
SJP Wed 11-Jul-12 21:34:55

Is it unreasonable after a day's work and a long commute home to expect my husband to at least to acknowledge I am home and engage in some conversation about the day rather than carrying on watching the news on TV or reading the paper! Tonight after a particularly full day I arrived home called "Hello" and was greeted with silence as he was watching the 6 p.m. clock news. So mad I went for a long walk to cool off! angry

johanna Tue 17-Jul-12 18:47:58

greatnan grin grin
I'll bear that in mind.

In the meantime ladies, there is nothing stopping us from getting a second remote control is there? They are not expensive and sold at a lot of supermarkets.

It would be worth it for the facial expression alone, when he sits there zapping away, in his favourite chair of course, and suddenly the program gets zapped back to where it was before!!!!!!

Ariadne Tue 17-Jul-12 18:47:13

Shall we all move over there?

jeni Tue 17-Jul-12 18:44:57

Don't tempt me!

Greatnan Tue 17-Jul-12 18:18:54

Johanna, the studio next door to my flat is on the market for £33,000 but I have seen others for as little as £30,000!

BurgundyGran Tue 17-Jul-12 17:23:19

Mr Burgundygran drives me mad angry When I am talking, if I stop for breath or think of the right word he buts in or talks at the same time. When I complain he says I stopped talking shock. Am I supposed to keep talking and not stop for breath or think of the right phrase or word (stops to take a breath) wink.

Of course I must not interupt him. He is OK really as he does so much for me from cooking to washing and ironing. I just wish he would THINK sometimes, but apparently he never knows if I have finished what I was saying but I should know when he has, time for a wine one thinks.

Bags Tue 17-Jul-12 07:40:17

You should hear the male 'bitching' that goes on in academic circles too!

Ella46 Tue 17-Jul-12 07:30:40

I worked in two village pubs for a long time, and I can tell you that when men are all together without wives, no one gossips more!
They never shut up! And they start more rumours than any woman!

susiecb Tue 17-Jul-12 03:04:45

My Dh is not a great talker but these things will always get him yakking
- when I pick up the phone to call someone
- when I pick up a book for a nice read
- ditto a newspaper/magazine
- when I go to the loo - through the door!
- when I nod off in the armchar
- when I am watching an absorbing (to me) programme
- when I just want to sit and soak up the view

flowers

Pete Mon 16-Jul-12 22:47:02

when Yes please and it was a fiver... grin

jeni Mon 16-Jul-12 20:09:55

grin

Anagram Mon 16-Jul-12 20:05:14

But so true, Jess! hmm

JessM Mon 16-Jul-12 19:59:42

And all at the research shows how men dominate conversations when they do want to speak. And then propagate myths that women talk too much. And don't know when to make a joke and when to keep their tactless attempts at humour to themselves. Sorry, research does not show the last one.

whenim64 Mon 16-Jul-12 19:38:36

Leave 'im alone - it's difficult to understand words of more than one syllable when they're looking at the TV. grin

It's a biological fact - men can only hear certain phrases like 'do you want a beer?' or 'here's that quid I owe you.' grin

Pete Mon 16-Jul-12 18:46:34

Pardon ? grin

Ariadne Mon 16-Jul-12 18:41:05

Pete you obviously haven't been listening. You're using the other male technique of turning the conversation the way you want it to go.

Which is what happens. After a little while - say I'm talking about the garden - all of a sudden I hear "So, do we have any poddy peas?"

smile

greenmossgiel Mon 16-Jul-12 18:35:57

The reply to anything I say is, "Eh?" I know he's heard me ok, but he can't be bothered taking in what I've said. Sometimes I find myself repeating everything very precisely and then I'm annoyed at myself as well. Does yer 'ead in! confused

jeni Mon 16-Jul-12 18:10:12

More like flea!

Pete Mon 16-Jul-12 18:07:27

It's just like poking a wasp's nest grin

Anagram Mon 16-Jul-12 17:48:03

Careful, jeni, you'll get Pete all hot and bothered....wink

jeni Mon 16-Jul-12 17:40:47

I'm Very good with a proctoscope!

gracesmum Mon 16-Jul-12 17:38:20

Where exactly would you like the remote? grin

Pete Mon 16-Jul-12 17:35:36

jeni Ssshhhh......trying to watch the news...... grin

jeni Mon 16-Jul-12 17:18:56

Hey Pete! Watch out! Or do you want your head in your hands to play with?

Pete Mon 16-Jul-12 16:41:57

Husbands-tips to make them speak?....Thats what it said.....Well how about letting him get a word in edgeways...lol

johanna Fri 13-Jul-12 19:34:28

I think retired men are a very very insecure species.
A lot of them have gone from: " Hello Mr. so an so , to Mr.who?..."
If, you have identified most of your life through your job/work, retirement must be a huge adjustment.
Even those men who also had/have hobbies, like golf will notice a subtle change in attitude amongst their peers at the club.
Not that my OH ever played, but we know plenty who do.

I also have the sneaking suspicion that they are much more worried about dementia that we ( females ) are.
Like Petalusses husband upthread getting angry.
He was worried because he could not remember what she had said, and turned his worry into anger, hoping she would not notice his insecurity.

Into this mix you can add the fact that some will have held positions of huge responsibility and hey, presto ,suddenly your home is now an extension of that!
But that would be a whole other thread.

Greatnan any apartments for sale near you????????????????? grin