Gransnet forums

AIBU

A carer blocking my drive

(24 Posts)
Nanban Wed 18-Jul-12 09:21:45

Go hire that tractor and frighten the life out of her!

granjura Sun 15-Jul-12 13:08:38

I feel for your frustration - and yet, perhaps more tolerance has to be given for Doctor's and carer's visits, no? Where will the carer park if you ever need to be cared for??? However, no excuse if there is sufficient space and carer does not ensure she uses it as carefully and fairly as poss. Mind you- they have hugely full time-tables and have to rush from one client to another, so parking carefully may not be priority. I'd be very polite, big smile, and just try one more time to ask calmly, quietly and saying you understand they are in a rush, etc. Then I'd call the agency as you have the name from her badge. And then call the Council if there is no improvement.

nanaej Sun 15-Jul-12 13:02:10

Parking is always an area that tests tolerance!

Vehicle access to our house is via a small and narrow non maintained close that was created about 5 years ago when 9 new homes were built. All homeowners in the close , including us and another property that I guess sold some of the garden to enable the development, pay an annual maintenance fee and they all have designated parking spaces and use of one (between all properties) visitor parking. We have a drive where we can park two (at a real squeeze) three cars. At the moment we have the skip on the drive and because access is so narrow has to be placed at the entrance of the drive. We would not dare use the visitor parking so have to hunt out a place on local side streets!! We were told last time we had a skip that it was our problem & should not use the visitor space.

Stansgran Sat 14-Jul-12 20:36:58

Thank you for the suggestions -I think printing off the High way code and leaving it under the wipers to start with. My neighbour is elderly and unpleasantly belligerent-I've put up with a lot over the years but because her husband's family sold off the land for building she feels she owns it still. Another carer came this evening when I was in the garden and I thanked her for parking courteously to allow us access -she went pink and said she would hate to block anyone in. I will get on to the county council officer responsible for the welfare of my neighbour -I got her name on Friday. The young girl was so obstreperous-telling me a tractor would be able to get in past her parked car into my drive ! I would hate to think that if that was what she was like to me at nearly 70 in public what is she like behind closed doors to a frail 80 year old.

glammanana Sat 14-Jul-12 19:59:22

We had the neighbour from hell when it came to parking the cars,we never had a private drive but he would practically measure to the inch where he parked his car so that it was directly in front of his house and he would knock and tell me if my car was encroaching his "space" DH soon fixed him because it got that bad the neighbour would sit in his front lounge and watch me park when I came in from work every night,DD bought an old Land Rover from the farmer up the village and he started to use that instead of his own car and he parked it next to neighbours car (and I mean next to not even enough space to thread a piece of cotton)said neighbour started to park on the other side of the Rd for fear of being scratched by the tatty Land Rover.Oh and by the way mr.g. is the most placid of men but this neighbour must have really brought down the red mist.

HildaW Sat 14-Jul-12 19:39:01

Shame we have to think about the Highway code in such matters....whats happened to just basic good manners....i.e. saying sorry if you inconvenience someone?

jeni Sat 14-Jul-12 13:14:27

You should meet git next door! Parking is one of his 'things'

gracesmum Sat 14-Jul-12 12:52:01

I too would be prepared and move my car into position before they arrived.
That said, I was once quite upset at someone I considered a true friend who came round to ask the ambulance I had had to call for DH, to move, not so that they could get out, but so that they could get onto their drive. Under the circumstances I felt they could have left their car on the roiad until the ambulance left again.
Nowt like folk.

Bags Sat 14-Jul-12 12:37:53

By the way, we only parked on the road at all because the car was too wide to get through the gate. Once DD3 was old enough to be trusted not to run onto the road, I removed the gate and we would reverse the car into the narrow drive. People on the passenger side had to get out first though because the wing mirror on that side had to be only an inch from our neighbour's wall, and then we put some stepping stones in the flower bed so the postman could get to the front door. So, you see, we weren't deliberately awkward towards our opposite neighbour. It was after we started parking in the drive that the rest of the street seemed to acquire far more 'street sterilising' vehicles. Have to admit, we did find it ironically amusing.

What steriliser man wanted us to do was concrete over the small front garden and knock the garden walls down. That's what he had done. But we had the nicest garden in the street. The first word the guy who bought the house from s said was "Foliage!" and grinned broadly. (There was a wisteria growing up the front of the house and covering most of it.)

I believe the garden is now wrecked and parked on sad

Anagram Sat 14-Jul-12 11:56:17

grin

Bags Sat 14-Jul-12 11:46:19

We used to park partly across our drive in Oxon because the chappie opposite maintained he couldn't get his van out of his front if we "sterilised" the street by parking on it (no, we never understood him either). I could have got his van out for him easily but never offered. By the time we left that street, it was totally "sterilised" by parked cars. He must have had a heart attack by now.

Anagram Sat 14-Jul-12 11:44:53

Yes, get out there Stansgran and be proactive!
smile

Bags Sat 14-Jul-12 11:42:48

I was thinking that stansgran could park at least partly in the space the carer annoying, selfish person parks in, then the annoying person can't park there herself. If stansgran's car is mainly across her own drive, I don't see how anyone could object. I think one is allowed to 'block' one's own drive if one chooses.

If she needs to get out during the hours That Person is there. I'm just thinking in terms of effective behaviour: if you want to prevent something happening because it's a nuisance to you (as well as probably unnecessary), then do something to prevent it happening.

Anagram Sat 14-Jul-12 10:31:01

I get the impression that it's not that easy - it sounds as though the carer is parking on the road, but at a careless angle, hence Stansgran's request for her to park either in her neighbour's drive or neatly by the kerb.

Elegran Sat 14-Jul-12 10:00:17

That is what I would do.

AlisonMA Sat 14-Jul-12 09:58:21

I agree with Bags do that for a week or two and then see what happens.

Bags Sat 14-Jul-12 07:11:50

If I wanted to be able to get my car out comfortably, I think I'd be inclined to park across my own drive in such a case, stangran, so that someone else couldn't.

Anagram Fri 13-Jul-12 23:22:56

But not the law!

vampirequeen Fri 13-Jul-12 23:11:49

The Highway Code

DO NOT stop or park

•near a school entrance
•anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
•at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
•on the approach to a level crossing or tramway crossing
•opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
•near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
•opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
•where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
•where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles

•in front of an entrance to a property

•on a bend
•where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities
except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860?CID=TAT&PLA=url_mon&CRE=highwaycode_parking

She's breaking the highway code.

Elegran Fri 13-Jul-12 22:15:41

Perhaps your neighbour would be as strict on her carer as she was with anyone else who parked so inconsiderately, if she knew?

Or before she is due to arrive you could have your car parked "ready to go out later" in such a position that she cannot obstruct your entrance. It is just possible that she would become accustomed to parking in a new place.

Or make a big show of almost scraping her car as you drive out past it while she watches- but that requires precision and iron nerve!

As you know who employs her, you have the option of complaining to them, though she sounds like someone who could turn nasty if cornered,

Annobel Fri 13-Jul-12 22:09:12

Parking is very heavy on the street where I live. I am one of the few who have off-road parking. Occasionally I find that someone has blocked my entrance and on one occasion I rang the police and reported it. To my great surprise two officers arrived, put a notice on the offender's windscreen and photographed the car. They must have been having a slack day (Sunday). I usually put a note on the windscreen myself, either polite or otherwise depending on my level of tolerance!

JessM Fri 13-Jul-12 22:08:02

I agree. Dale care would not be happy I am sure. Specially about the rudeness!

We share a drive and it requires a certain level of co-operation and tolerance
(In other words if we ever want to put the house on the market I am going to have to offer to buy 2 dead cars and a car engine from one of the wiliest negotiators ever to travel outside Africa. Last week the gardener cleared out a big pile of assorted junk from the garden, prior to annual strimming... he said "it won't be here long" but it is still there, along with the cars and the old engine )
Good job I am tolerant really, it would drive some folks insane. grin
I occasionally do a little guerrilla weeding on their side.
Occasionally visitors park on our side by mistake but they are always friendly and would move if asked. We put it down to a cultural aversion to walking more than 3 metres in the outdoors. I am sure they must all be deficient in vitamin D. 7 years and I have only once seen my neighbour walk further than the kerb.

Anagram Fri 13-Jul-12 21:35:13

I do sympathise, as we share a drive with two other houses and quite often delivery/removal vans or visitors either block or partially obstruct our access and egress. Sometimes workmen can be quite rude if we ask them (politely) not to park in the driveway, and even if they park outside next door our view is blocked and it's hard to manoeuvre the car out.
I would ask the carer again to park considerately, and if she refuses, tell her you have no option other than to report her to her employers.

Stansgran Fri 13-Jul-12 21:27:01

Every evening my neighbour has a carer (to put her to bed I presume). The young woman leaves her car so that we have to contort around her having a very narrow entrance and our new car is marginally larger than the last one. I am still not very confident with it. She leaves her car so that we have to go over a lump in the road which unless very accurate will bottom the car. I could make sure we never have to go in or out between 6pm or 7.30- she is not regular-but I feel I shouldn't have to do this. This evening I left the house and asked her as she came out to park in my neighbour's drive or neatly at the kerb. She said she could park where she liked and we could get a tractor round there. I noted that she had Dale Care on her overall. My neighbour is in her 80s and has many times rushed out in her fitter days abusing people if they so much parked over her gate and she is not someone I would willingly deal with-I offer help for shopping in the snow etc but try to avoid her. Sorry to whinge but if the carer were anything to do with my family I would wonder what she would be like on her own with a helpless person. Should I just put up and shut up or should I complain to the council-we are after all paying her wages through council Tax. Opinions please