Gransnet forums

AIBU

Single Rooms

(28 Posts)
Barrow Sat 21-Jul-12 11:23:57

I have just returned from a short trip to Bournemouth - my first away on my own since my husband died (apart from visiting relatives). This is the first time I have had to stay in a single room and although I was aware that single rooms are not the best I have to say I was shocked by the room I was given. It was basically a walk in cupboard with a bathroom attached. There was mold around the bath and black stains in the toilet bowl, thick dust or ingrained dirt in the folds of the curtain and a generally feeling of grubbiness. The ceiling light didn't work, it was not possible to lock the door from the inside (not even a chain) and although there was a TV in the room the reception was so bad as to make it unwatchable. I immediately went to reception and asked to be moved - they told me they had nothing else. Some attempt was made to clean the bathroom but mold and stains were still visible. It took two days for them to fix the ceiling light and nothing was done about my other complaints. Others on the same trip who were staying in twin rooms told me the rooms was spacious and clean, another lady I spoke to who was also in a single room said hers was the same as mine.

Now am I being unreasonable to expect the same level of cleanliness and facilities in a single room as those in a twin room - I don't think so.

Why do hotel owners (and tour operators) think it is OK to put single travellers in these types of rooms? I will be complaining to the tour operator and also sending a complaint to the head office of the hotel.

Perhaps we should start a campaign to end the prejudice against single travellers, after all there are a lot of us!

Anyway, for anyone travelling to Bournemouth - avoid Heathlands Hotel especially room 124!

Greatnan Tue 24-Jul-12 07:42:14

I have found that I am usually given a double room anyway, as many hotels do not have any single rooms.

Greatnan Tue 24-Jul-12 07:44:37

Michael - I salute your persistence, but your post really has nothing to do with this thread.