Gransnet forums

AIBU

Paying my way - advice please!

(28 Posts)
vegasmags Fri 27-Jul-12 21:06:02

I would really welcome GNs views on my situation, which I'm sure isn't unique. I have been married twice, but for most of my adult life was a single parent (ie skint). I am now retired, on a modest income which does not meet my expenditure, but I do have savings on which I draw to supplement my income. I own my own house, which I anticipate selling in the fullness of time, so that I can downshift.

I am 64, and I have decided (rightly or wrongly) to enjoy life while I can, and choose to live modestly nay frugally so that I can travel and enjoy hobbies whilst I still have my health and strength.

My problem is that some of my family and friends seem to think I am much more well off than I am. For instance, I had a holiday to India last year with my beloved daughter. We did it on the cheap apart from a posh hotel to which she treated us. My son then thought this meant I could afford to lend him £8000 interest free to buy a new car for his wife.

I am tired of going out for meals eg with the family of my daughter's boyfriend to be met with that phrase - shall we split the bill? To which I feel like saying NO - there are 4 of you and 2 of us.

When I was working, I enjoyed being generous, but now that I am retired and wanting to spend money on myself, I feel there is some resentment about this. I hate to plead poverty and have always prided myself on paying my way. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I really would be most grateful

ladymo Sun 29-Jul-12 16:28:58

Maybe it is time to set some ground rules. The family who think you are Rothchild should be told a few facts.

Nanban Sun 29-Jul-12 17:12:39

The meals out thing - nowadays you can always get your own bill no matter how many of you share a table and it might be time to set down the ground rule. We got pretty tired of subsidising 'friends' who munch their way through every course, drink more, coffee etc and then thought it fair to split the bill so we arrived first and set up our own bill. First time around it felt mean, but I would feel mean if I always ran up a bigger bill than friends and then expect them to pay.

As for the interest-free loan, money you lend out you lose precious interest on. We set up an extra credit card for our son to use and he must pay it back or pay the interest.

Enjoy everything you have worked hard for and earnt and be generous to yourself. Then when you do treat your children, or buy them something nice it will be a nice bonus for one and all and not a chore for you.