Gransnet forums

AIBU

National team? Then sing the National Anthem!

(110 Posts)
nannym Sat 28-Jul-12 11:06:06

DS has just pointed out to me that two Scottish members of the GB Ladies football team and two Welsh members of the men's football team did not sing the National anthem at the start of their games. Kim Little, one of the ladies involved has said she was demonstrating her personal choice. I can't help feeling that if they have such a problem about being part of a unified Britain then they should have turned down the opportunity to take part and allowed someone more deserving of the honour to take their place.

vampirequeen Sat 28-Jul-12 11:50:57

I never sing or stand for the National Anthem. I'm not like Pavlov's dogs. I've not been trained to stand up to a particular tune. Why should they turn down the chance to play for GB just because they don't want to sing?

Annika Sat 28-Jul-12 11:53:12

If you can not bring yourself to sing the National anthem how can you possibly be a 'team' member ?

Nonu Sat 28-Jul-12 12:02:59

Good one flag

jeni Sat 28-Jul-12 12:14:47

flag

eGJ Sat 28-Jul-12 12:29:15

They are doing the first & third verses for Medal ceremonies; I hope they know the words to that third verse! We are having three verses tomorrow at our Civic service and I must go and learn verse 4!! flag

merlotgran Sat 28-Jul-12 13:38:17

They are attracting a lot of negative comments and their behaviour comes across as childish and attention seeking. What will they do if they win a medal? hmm

whenim64 Sat 28-Jul-12 14:13:25

What's wrong with having republlcan views and competing in the games?

Granny23 Sat 28-Jul-12 16:27:52

I do not stand for nor sing God Save the Queen because I am one of the rebellious Scots who has to be crushed in verse 3. I do stand and sing MY national anthem (Scots Wha Hae). I do accept that legally I am British and will support Team GB, but am looking forward to the next Olympics when MY
team will enter the stadium between Saudia Arabia and Senegal.

JO4 Sat 28-Jul-12 19:07:44

They're not playing for Great Britain. They are playing for themselves.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Up to them if they sing or not, I would have thought.

vampirequeen Sat 28-Jul-12 19:21:52

Why does playing for a team mean they have to sing the National Anthem? Singing or not singing doesn't affect the way they play or their pride in being chosen. I'm British and have no desire to live anywhere else. If the national anthem were a song about our country then I might be tempted to join in but I don't choose to sing a prayer asking God to look after the Queen or shower her with even more wealth.

Anagram Sat 28-Jul-12 19:29:59

I do think it's time we had a new National Anthem. I always feel a bit embarrassed by it...

vampirequeen Sat 28-Jul-12 19:38:26

Hear hear Anagram.

jeni Sat 28-Jul-12 19:50:06

Hey Jude?
Ducks hurriedly!

soop Sat 28-Jul-12 20:32:09

jeni I'll join you...

jeni Sat 28-Jul-12 20:49:42

grin

jeni Sat 28-Jul-12 20:52:16

We could always have
My country tis of thee
Sweet land of liberty

Ding to the tune of God save the Queen?

Ducks even lower behind parapet!grin

jeni Sat 28-Jul-12 20:52:52

Sung! angry

Anagram Sat 28-Jul-12 21:12:54

Jeni, your spell-correct is priceless! grin

jeni Sat 28-Jul-12 21:22:44

grin

whenim64 Sun 29-Jul-12 09:24:15

I rather like 'ding' to the tune.......

Let's just have whatever it is 'ding-ed' to the tune of The Archers!grin

gangy5 Sun 29-Jul-12 10:08:16

There is nothing wrong with having republican views but I think that on here you're being a bit undignified about it!! You would think that on such an important occasion as this sportspersons could behave as sports people should.

Those having to make an exhibition of themselves, in my opinion, must have low self esteem. Plus, on this occasion, they are very bad sports - whatever their beliefs.

Elegran Sun 29-Jul-12 10:39:53

When you are working as a team, on very public display against other teams and in front of a vast audience, you put your personal and political differences on hold temporarily and all "sing from the same hymn sheet".

The national anthem is the signature tune of the whole team. If you want that changed, it is your option to work for that, but as a separate issue.

goldengirl Sun 29-Jul-12 10:59:42

Verses 1 and 3 are not too bad - it's verse 2 that's the wrong 'un these days.
I like having a national anthem and I like the one we have. Perhaps I should duck behind the parapet but I saw enough of ducks at the opening ceremony - or perhaps they were geese confused

whenim64 Sun 29-Jul-12 11:01:29

I don't think that the vsiting sportsmen and women who are political dissenters in their own home countries would support the view that if you want to participate in sport at an international level you have to accept the status quo. Sometimes it is that status quo that needs to adjust to the times. As for the behaviour of those that did not want to sing, they just stayed still and quiet and were not disruptive. Political protests are usually best conducted outside the arena of international sports, but a personal decision not to sing a song whose words you cannot and do not hold true for yourself surely cannot be wrong? I support their personal decisions not to sing.