Gransnet forums

AIBU

next door's hedge

(56 Posts)
glitabo Sat 28-Jul-12 15:14:25

I have just spent over an hour cutting down the side of my next door neighbour's hedge that flows over into my front garden. My neighbours are a young couple probably in their 20s. They cut the hedge at their side and half way along the top of the hedge.
I am incensed that their hedge costs me so much time, effort and money.
First I had to buy an electric hedge trimmer to cut the wretched thing. No matter what salesmen say about these things being light weight, when holding them above your head at arm's length they soon become very heavy. This one has 3 safety switches as a safety precaution, so a deal of dexterity is needed as well. I cannot reach the top of the middle of the hedge so it does not look too good. It is a bit hit and miss.
Then I raked up The cuttings and bagged them. Now I have to take them in my car to the tip.
The fun does not stop there. I have a 9 metre long back garden and I haven't started on the hedge that runs along the side of it, their hedge I must point out.
So am I being unreasonable or am I turning into a grumpy old woman.
I am exhausted now so I have lost my sense of humour.
angry brew

Nonu Thu 02-Aug-12 19:59:02

Glitabo,Alls well that ends well , I am SOO pleased for you brew

glitabo Thu 02-Aug-12 19:56:51

Thank you everyone. flowers
I feel great now.
smile

Annobel Thu 02-Aug-12 19:37:16

Neither old nor a dragon. Good for you, taking the bull by the horns and finding it wasn't a bull at all!

Ella46 Thu 02-Aug-12 19:25:22

glitabo good for you! You are definitely not a dragon, no wings or tail on your photo! grin

JO4 Thu 02-Aug-12 19:19:36

Why would he think you are an old dragon? Of course he doesn't!

Well done. smile

Anagram Thu 02-Aug-12 18:54:57

Well done, glitabo! smile
So glad things were sorted out amicably in the end.

glitabo Thu 02-Aug-12 18:53:27

I have been next door to talk to the neighbours. It was all very amicable. He said that his lead did not reach over to do my side of the hedge. I told him that I had no problem with him coming into my garden to cut his hedge and that I had no problem cutting back my side but cannot reach over the top. I pointed out that I am too old to climb on a step ladder to do it. He said that he will do it in future.
There were a lot of smiles. I felt quite sorry for him really. I hope he doesn't think I am an old dragon.

JO4 Thu 02-Aug-12 11:43:11

That's the best thing to do. I'm sure they will be reasonable about it and see your predicament. smile

Nonu Thu 02-Aug-12 11:43:03

Tread light , flower smile

glitabo Thu 02-Aug-12 11:40:15

I have just had a word with my landlord. He told me that it is definitely not a boundary hedge as it is all in their garden.
I am going to call round to see them and have a talk about it.
I will keep you informed.

Nanban Tue 31-Jul-12 22:20:50

I think that if the hedge is so high, you can complain to your local council and they will make the neighbours get the hedge under control - I think it's some sort of anti-social regulation - knowing how slow these things can be, the sooner you start the process the better obviously.

Meanwhile, any trimmings belong to them and the law says that you can cut anything on your property but you 'must' let them have any cut off bits back! So, just tuck them back over the fence as you cut them off.

dahlia Tue 31-Jul-12 16:57:06

Grannylin, glad to know that your husband is still well. We had a terrible dispute about our hedge in our last home, and at one point husband was sent to hospital with a suspected heart attack - false alarm, I'm glad to say. The hedge dispute escalated into an awful war of attrition (mainly on the part of our neighbour) and although we moved away two years ago, DH still feels anxious in case we meet neighbour when returning to our old stamping ground. Situation led to legal bills, etc., and I have read of murder being committed over a boundary dispute in the past!
Glitabo, do you have a caring friend or relative who would approach your neighbour in a friendly way and ask them if they are aware of your difficulties, if you feel unsure about doing so yourself?
Good luck with this difficult situation, I really sympathise.

granjura Mon 30-Jul-12 16:05:36

Bravo Barrow - that's the way to do it - and most of the time, it works. Hurrah.

Ella46 Mon 30-Jul-12 11:07:35

As my dgd says,"Puppy dog eyes work every time!" grin

Anagram Mon 30-Jul-12 11:05:14

Yes, good call, Barrow! It just goes to show how resentment can build up between neighbours, when a friendly chat could, in a lot of cases, sort things out.

Nonu Mon 30-Jul-12 11:02:57

Result Barrow , Hurrah cupcake

Barrow Mon 30-Jul-12 10:55:39

I spoke to my neighbour at the weekend about the plants from his garden which are encroaching onto my drive. The result, he will be cutting them back and as a bonus will be cutting my hedge which is the other side of the drive and which I can't cut. All I have to do is pick up the cuttings - sorted!
He was unaware of his plants creeping onto my drive and was more than happy to deal with it for me. It may be the same with your neighbour, have a friendly word and see what they have to say.

Nonu Mon 30-Jul-12 09:42:44

Thanks for your message brew

Grannylin Sun 29-Jul-12 17:17:56

No,no Nonu .It was 8 years ago and he's still here! Unfortunately so is the neighbour grin

Nonu Sun 29-Jul-12 10:38:08

ps Hope you don"t think I am speaking out of turn, if so , apologies

Nonu Sun 29-Jul-12 10:37:08

Grannylin sorry to hear about your dh how are things now ? You are so right about treading lightly , things can so easily get nasty and out of handsunshine

Grannylin Sat 28-Jul-12 22:35:20

Oh the joys of neighbours and boundaries. My husband had a heart attack as a result of a long battle about our hedge/their hedge, covenants, planning applications etc.Tread lightly or it can take over your life angry

Anagram Sat 28-Jul-12 21:59:07

Sook, I must admit I was wondering why/how the house, garden and land were going to move! grin

Sook Sat 28-Jul-12 21:38:32

Meant to say that sooner or later our neighbour will have to move as house+garden+ 3 acres and laurel hedge will be too much for her to manage.

Anagram Sat 28-Jul-12 21:11:18

Still up to your landlord to sort out what you/she/he is actually responsible for, though, boundary-wise. At least you'll know where you stand.