Gransnet forums

AIBU

Unused Olympic's medications and food & drink NOT being recycled.

(38 Posts)
bombismum Mon 13-Aug-12 18:51:37

AIBU to expect the unused Olympic medication and food and drink to be recycled to the appropriate charities?

I was astounded and aghast and hopping-mad to read that they are all thrown away ( see the Mumsnet Talk topic - '' Olympic medicines being destroyed and not donated. Is this legacy? ''

Well, NO it jolly well isn't. It's an absolute scandal on all sorts of levels.

Please let anyone with influence know your thoughts on this.

Sebastion Coe, the Legacy Tsar! Give me strength! Legacy, Schmegacy!!! Grrrrrr

I've posted on M/net already but I think some Gransnetters maybe don't look on the M/N boards ?.

If anyone knows Harriet Harman's email address I'd be grateful, thanks. Maybe a woman member of Locoq ( spelling ? ), could move and shake things up a bit?

Hope we can shame the lot of them out if their complacency into acting before the Paralympics are over, and to make it an Olympic Regulation for all future Games and similar events.

JessM Mon 13-Aug-12 19:25:29

It would help if you provided a link

lizatarbucksauntie Mon 13-Aug-12 19:34:33

hello here's a link to the thread on Mumsnet.

I would really appreciate any help or support we can get, I feel like a very small voice on this at the moment and there is still time to make a difference...

LizaTarbucksAuntie Thread

Thank you

crimson Mon 13-Aug-12 19:56:48

I thought medication could no longer be passed on. It's probably some sort of EEC directive.

Mishap Mon 13-Aug-12 20:02:01

But local GP surgeries send unopened packets of drugs with long use by dates to the Third World. I am sure that not all these Olympic drugs were opened.

They can't ditch this food if it is in date surely? - what about the homeless on their doorstep in London?

Bags Mon 13-Aug-12 20:08:05

I think crimson is right. Once medicines have left the pharmacy they cannot be given to anyone else. The problem is that they may have been tampered with.

Bags Mon 13-Aug-12 20:09:00

GP surgeries may count as safe environments like pharmacies.

Anagram Mon 13-Aug-12 20:11:04

I suppose the food could have been tampered with, as well?

Bags Mon 13-Aug-12 20:14:13

Yes. Which is not to say that I don't think it a shame we can't find a way round the waste problem.

Bags Mon 13-Aug-12 20:14:38

three negatives! Good grief!

Anagram Mon 13-Aug-12 20:15:14

grin But yes, it is a great shame.

Elegran Mon 13-Aug-12 20:58:53

This organisation accepts unwanted medecines.

www.intercare.org.uk/donate-medicines

The scheme works mostly through GPs who are registered with Intercare to collect and foreward what their patients have returned to them, but medecines can also be posted directly to them.

Bags Mon 13-Aug-12 21:13:02

Thanks, elegran. That's good to know about. I'll tell my pharmacist, who seemed to think it was impossible.

bombismum Mon 13-Aug-12 21:31:05

Thanks for the link to the original posting on Mumsnet, Lizatarbucksauntie.
And thanks elegran for posting the link for inter are.org.uk.

IF unused food was not recyclable due to possible '' tampering'', M & S and other supermarkets would not be the principle donors providing food to homeless shelters in the UK.

Drugs and dressings are acceptable overseas, and presumably the UK, ( re '' inter--care.org.uk) under the guidelines set out in the WHO's ( World Health Organization) 1999 Geneva Guidelines).

The document on waste strategy which sets out the aspiration for re using surplus items. You can find it under '' waste'', etc

. This is copied from the Mumsnet thread which has been posted by LizaTarbucksAuntie here previously.

Annobel Mon 13-Aug-12 21:47:21

Harriet Harman, easily found on Google:

Harriet Harman MP
House of Commons
London
SW1A 0AA

Fax: 0207 219 4877

[email protected]

bombismum Mon 13-Aug-12 22:39:49

Thanks ANNOBEL fir the Harriet Harman link, I have emailed her, asking her to check out this and the Gransnet site, and also asking for a reply.

POGS Mon 13-Aug-12 23:21:40

Sorry to butt in but was it not Tessa Jowell not Harriet Harperson?

bombismum Mon 13-Aug-12 23:24:47

Yes Pogs you are right, it was and is Tessa Jowell, oops!

Have emailed her now, but HH may do something to help?

Had anyone contacted their MP about this?

lizatarbucksauntie Tue 14-Aug-12 05:43:52

Thanks everyone, Intercare was the charity Mum suggested at the Olympics. It's not just the medicines, but the dressings and the fact that after each event nothing was re-used despite a clear re-use/donate policy in the Olympic waste strategy.

apparently Dame Tanni GreyThompson picked it up fro Twitter and a couple of Jounalists are interested but everything helps so anything you can do to to keep the issue alive at the moment gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

bombismum Tue 14-Aug-12 06:24:32

Well LizaT's Auntie.

In shall contact my on MP and AM today, I live un Wales so get two representatives, one in Westminster & One in cardiff at thevWelsh Assembly.

As there are big rugby and other games at the Millennium Stadium every week, probably similar shortsighte policies on recycling are practiced.

Shall post when I have any replies.

Tessa Jowell and Tammi Grey-Thompson have shown interest, maybe woman will lead the way in this one too through our pressure.

Come on Gransnetters, let's speak up for fairplay in real life as well as in the Games. !

lizatarbucksauntie Tue 14-Aug-12 08:42:57

Morning - you can also sign this twitition if you would like to,

many thanks for all the supoprt

Twitition

Anagram Tue 14-Aug-12 13:32:25

I'm sorry, I know this is a good cause, but 'twitition'? hmm

glassortwo Tue 14-Aug-12 13:36:58

nag we know your aversion to twitter smile. I have signed.

Anagram Tue 14-Aug-12 13:40:25

It's not Twitter I'm objecting to in this case - just the invention of a new word which sounds silly! smile

Nonu Tue 14-Aug-12 13:41:21

Log on to the blue twitition above and it tells u all about it smile