Gransnet forums

AIBU

Unused Olympic's medications and food & drink NOT being recycled.

(39 Posts)
bombismum Mon 13-Aug-12 18:51:37

AIBU to expect the unused Olympic medication and food and drink to be recycled to the appropriate charities?

I was astounded and aghast and hopping-mad to read that they are all thrown away ( see the Mumsnet Talk topic - '' Olympic medicines being destroyed and not donated. Is this legacy? ''

Well, NO it jolly well isn't. It's an absolute scandal on all sorts of levels.

Please let anyone with influence know your thoughts on this.

Sebastion Coe, the Legacy Tsar! Give me strength! Legacy, Schmegacy!!! Grrrrrr

I've posted on M/net already but I think some Gransnetters maybe don't look on the M/N boards ?.

If anyone knows Harriet Harman's email address I'd be grateful, thanks. Maybe a woman member of Locoq ( spelling ? ), could move and shake things up a bit?

Hope we can shame the lot of them out if their complacency into acting before the Paralympics are over, and to make it an Olympic Regulation for all future Games and similar events.

Nonu Tue 14-Aug-12 13:42:37

Didn"t realize what u meant

Anagram Tue 14-Aug-12 13:57:50

After some investigation I've discovered that the term is years old - just shows how up-to-date I am with modern meeja! grin

lizatarbucksauntie Tue 14-Aug-12 16:50:41

hi Anagram, I didn't invent the word - with you all the way on the annoyance, but if it helps...smile

Anagram Tue 14-Aug-12 17:17:20

grin - no, I didn't think you, personally, had invented it lizatarbucksauntie!

bombismum Tue 14-Aug-12 23:53:40

LizaTarbucksAuntie, I 'm sorry but I can't use the twititon link, have tried to loads of times, but to no avail.seems I need a Twitter account, is that right?

Have had my email to Har/ HARMAN & Tessa Jowell acknowledged so far, but no actual solid reply yet.

Has anyone had any interest from any of the Locoq Committee, Legacy Team or their MP's ?

I can't understand why over 1,000 mattresses are also deemed non recyclable. It just doesn't make sense. As far as I know, hotels etc don't use mattresses once for each guest before ditching them and supplying new ones for new guests, doh!

The more I hear about similar excesses, the more I feel as though I'm living in a parallel universe.

POGS Wed 15-Aug-12 00:00:00

bombismum

Please keep us informed on your replies from Tessa Jowell and Harriet Harman please. Actually up-date us in a while full stop, good points raised. smile

lizatarbucksauntie Wed 15-Aug-12 09:00:56

Nothing sad from anyone....even Medicare who I contacted yesterday.

Am feeling really defeated sad

lizatarbucksauntie Wed 15-Aug-12 09:24:28

...ahhh! just spoke to Harry from Intercare.

He's asked for all the links and information.
They have a big presentation this afternoon which I guess i why he's been a bit busy!

Hurrah! something might happen a bit more..

Annobel Wed 15-Aug-12 09:59:50

Result! - hopefully! smile

glammanana Wed 15-Aug-12 11:59:23

I've e-mailed my local MP and given my thoughts on this,lets hope the necessary charities can make good use of anything they may be offered to stoop this waste of foodstuffs at least,I do think that medicines won't be passed on though thinking it may be correct it may be EEC rules of some sort.

Elegran Wed 15-Aug-12 12:30:26

It seems to be OK to send them to Africa - on the face of it that looks like double standards, but someone is benefitting. From what I have heard of the amount of counterfeit/contaminated/diluted drugs on that continent, these surplus ones will be welcomed.

Intercare won't take certain things - controlled drugs for instance - and Movicol, for some reason.

bombismum Wed 15-Aug-12 22:40:03

LizaTarbucksAu tie and everyone who had taken time to email their MPs, and also AMs ( Assembly Members ) if living in Wale, thank you for your efforts.

I haven't had any replies to my mails yet, but hope they won't be anguishing in an intrtn's desk instead of going to the top of the MP's In Tray.

Things in the M/net site re this subject, instigated by LizaTarbucksAuntie, are more advanced. There's good news about Camilla firm Kidsape ASKING for beds after ParaGames.

Asking is one thing, but getting them is another

Hope she gets them.

Maybe it's simply a case of '' Too many chiefs ....etc''

Bloody frustrating that wr haven't had anyone from Locog posting on here, maybe they're all away in Rio by now.

. Wonder if they got over there on. '' The Bandwagon. '' ?.

bombismum Wed 15-Aug-12 22:42:36

JThat second paragraph should have read '' LAnguishing on an interns .....''

But on second thoughts, '' Anguishing '' is just as good.