Gransnet forums

AIBU

problems with my mother...

(31 Posts)
sonearsofar Wed 15-Aug-12 10:15:37

I'm in my 50s, with grown up children, and (thankfully) both parents still independent. But I'm still having issues with my mum that, if I'd had enough backbone, I've have resolved decades ago...
I stopped getting clothes for my daughter when she was in her late teens, as I realised that she had different taste from me. My mother is still buying me clothes from charity shops and getting offended when I don't want them. I've nothing against charity shops, as I use them myself, it's just that I don't like what she does. I've worn the clothes she got me for a long time, and it was only when I got into my 50s that I found the confidence to say 'no thank you' and find my own style. Why is she (still) so upset by this?
So, moving on, as she never spends much on herself, I thought I'd buy her a really nice cardigan from Fenn Wright and Manson for Xmas. She seemed pleased with it, but when I last visited, she literally thrust it back at me, saying she didn't like it (basically as tit for tat).
Reading this back, I see that many people will think that I deserved it, but I think she was being petty. I wasn't trying to control her, just give her something nice for a change. You could perhaps say that that was what she was thinking all these years, but it has felt like I've been controlled, which is different.

granjura Thu 16-Aug-12 10:46:32

That is hard Vampire. But why, why do you let her? No idea how old you are, but I imagine over 50 like most of us Grannies here.

Find a way to tell her how you feel, positively but firmly - and that you would like to change the way your relationship advances, before it is too late, and too much resentment build up. Perhaps seek help first, to help you find the courage and the words to say it, without making it into a fight. hug

Bags Thu 16-Aug-12 11:11:03

I'd second jura's suggestion, vampire. Get out your inner puma, with a little help from someone supportive, perhaps. x

vampirequeen Thu 16-Aug-12 20:39:41

Oh I couldn't take on my mam. It was hammered (literally) into me at a very early age not to challenge her and although I'm in my 50s I could never cross her. It drives my husband insane. I know he would support me but the very thought of crossing her gives me a chicken licken moment as in I'm certain the sky would fall insmile

JessM Thu 16-Aug-12 21:11:55

My mum never stopped trying to say how things should be done. I remember a week before she died of MND I discovered an internal water leak. Under a concrete floor. Not at all happy about my suggestion of running a new copper pipe along near the skirting board. Not like she was ever going to see offending pipe.

maxgran Mon 20-Aug-12 12:38:46

You are right, you should have resolved this years ago, however, I don't think your mother buying you clothes is her trying to control you ?? Unless she tries to exert control in other areas of your life?

Your mother throwing that cardigan back at you was ungreatful and rude and you should have told her so. Presents are not compulsory but its amazing how many people get offended by them or think they should have some say in what someone chooses to buy them !

As long as you allow someone to be rude to you they will continue. The loving thing to do is to tell the person that you feel hurt by their actions.and if necessary don't flaming well buy them a present again !