Gransnet forums

AIBU

being a bit miffed! that I! now have to opt out of the Delivery neighbour post office thingy!

(16 Posts)
FlicketyB Fri 07-Sep-12 15:33:28

How does the Post Office deal with the 'happy to have it left with people next door on the left or across the road but not the people on my right' situation?

DD runs a small business from home and most delivery drivers know she is happy for parcels to be left round the back of the house. She is quite happy if parcels are delivered to one neigbour, but the neighbours on the other side have caused her a lot of problems and social workers and the police call regularly. She really would not want any parcels left with these neighbours.

harrigran Thu 06-Sep-12 22:01:00

We were asked to take in a parcel today, they had tried to deliver to neighbour yesterday and brought it back again today. When I looked at the label it said "frozen product, open immediately" I have been in my porch sniffing to see if there is a lasting pong in there.

petra Thu 06-Sep-12 21:27:15

Has anyone received one of these stickers.
We live in a block of 5 flats and all the sticker says is: Please return items to delivery office! No mention of our number or names !

NfkDumpling Sun 26-Aug-12 20:24:03

I think it should be opt in rather than opt out. One of my neighbours has a gate securely tied with string to keep their toddlers in and the nice man the other side is 87 and a bit deaf. I have to explain to both of them, without offending, why I have this label stuck on my door.

JessM Sun 26-Aug-12 15:52:37

Sorting offices are usually in the back of blooming beyond, on an industrial estate with no buses. One can always opt for a re-delivery but you still have to fiddle about with postcards or something and then wait in.
Why not put a note window in saying "parcels accepted only for number 4, thank you" so that you won't get bothered with the whole close's mail. Some people do a lot of mailordering these days, judging by the growth in the online retail sector.

harrigran Sun 26-Aug-12 15:28:21

I don't mind taking in the odd parcel, neighbours do it for me odd times. Last Christmas was pushing it a bit though, in the middle of building work a delivery company left a bicycle for a neighbour. I could not put it outside and I had tradesmen in every room, it was like an obstacle race. To add insult to injury said neighbour remained elusive for 48 hours.

AlisonMA Sun 26-Aug-12 10:18:08

I think it would be a huge task to write to everyone asking if they were prepared to sign up for this and then to keep the list up to date. Opting out would seem to be a much easier option, especially as most people seem to want this.

At the moment most parcel delivery companies already do this but the PO are not allowed to so need to formalise the situation.

We were lucky to meet some of our new neighbours because of this when we moved in. Fortunately all our neighbours are lovely so no issues for us.

Mishap Sun 26-Aug-12 09:49:03

In country areas there are lots of informal arrangements with postpersons (!) - we don't even go to the postbox, as our postie picks up our mail from us. And he knows where to put any parcels if we are out. And he plays in the village band!

I have no problem with neighbours taking in my post or with taking in theirs - but then I have very nice neighbours and might feel differently if that were not the case.

I suppose the PO are trying to avoid the situation where people have to trek to sorting offices to pick up their parcels - and our nearest is a very long way away - and they did say that they had done a survey and 92% of people were in favour of the new arrangements. Though I am not sure who they surveyed - it wasn't me!

kittylester Sun 26-Aug-12 08:56:08

I don't mind doing it but, on our round, the Postlady signs (with permission!) for things and puts them in a prearranged hiding place for most of us anyway.

johanna Sat 25-Aug-12 21:02:15

jeni grin
Posted a link on the sandals thread. Have a look please.

jeni Sat 25-Aug-12 20:38:11

I'll bet you know who next door plasters his house with them! It would save him on decorating!

johanna Sat 25-Aug-12 19:51:18

It is the same here biker. We don't mind, but as you say the banging on the door is irritating.
Alas, I only have two answers. The first one is : I may be old but I am not deaf.
And when they bang on the door asking if this is the house they are looking for
( Name of house all over the place ) I usually compliment them by saying they will make a detective yet!
However..... in your case.... could you maybe just tell them you are expecting a special delivery from Hell's Angels!!!!!!!!!!! gringrin

Anagram Sat 25-Aug-12 19:46:17

It really is very presumptuous of the Post Office. It's fine taking in parcels for neighbours you know and trust, and who would do the same for you, but I do remember one parcel which we accepted for the house next door, which was let out at the time, and the box was clearly labelled that it contained body-building supplements! I had to call round later and hand it over - both he and I were slightly embarrassed, I think! grin

Marelli Sat 25-Aug-12 19:38:37

I agree, biker. It could cause upset between neighbours as well, if you do display the sticker. Not everyone will understand the reason for the sticker being there and perhaps think that we don't trust our neighbours. Also - not everyone will trust neighbours not to 'have a wee look inside the parcel, by mistake....' grin

JO4 Sat 25-Aug-12 19:31:40

I won't be displaying any sticker, and I'm not taking in parcels.

bikergran Sat 25-Aug-12 19:19:40

I am a little anoyed (and this happens with numerous companies) that unless we "choose and inform the companies" then they automaticly asume we agree"! the Post Office have now (after a trial run) say that there is a need for this service, and unless you personaly opt out and display a sticker, then they will leave neighbours parcels witn you and yours with them. now I already take in next doors parcels quite happily as they are out at work all day, but so are most of the other people in the close, hence I often have delivery drivers banging on my door asking me to take parcles in for such n such a number (and the drivers get quite disgruntelled when I say "no",_) whom I have never spoke to me or me to them,also if I am not in then Mr Biker whos is disabled tries his best to go to the door but more often than not he either doesnt make it or the delivery driver has gone by the time he has got to the door (stana chair lifts don't move very fast)!
so why! should ! have to go to the trouble of opting out and having to display a sticker! on my door to tell them that.... I don't want stickers on my door...besides "I don't want my Anne Summers parcels going to my neighbours " grin