Gransnet forums

AIBU

To ask people to read posts before replying to them

(82 Posts)
absentgrana Mon 10-Sep-12 13:25:14

I get very frustrated from time to time when reading an interesting thread to come across a post where it is perfectly clear that the poster hasn't read the post to which she/he is responding. It's mildly irritating when someone just posts a random remark that doesn't really have a lot of relevance but it is infuriating when someone either patronises me as if I am a complete half wit or leaps to the barricades to defend something I haven't attacked. I think my posts are usually fairly clear and easy to understand so I am at a loss to explain why this seems to be happening with increasing frequency. confused angry

Nanadogsbody Mon 10-Sep-12 16:54:13

Eligran just love your analogies, just borrowed one on another thread...or was it this one, they're all starting to sound the same! Where was I? Oh yes, 'is it nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or...?' something like that. Should I stand and fight or retreat? hmm

soop Mon 10-Sep-12 16:59:48

Elegran Ironing done in double-quick time. Thanks for putting a smile on my grumpy face. I'm sure that I shall feel a lot more like my upbeat self when I return tomorrow.
Alison there is something theraputic about standing over a mountain of laundry and dashing away with the smoothin' iron. smile

Nanadogsbody Mon 10-Sep-12 17:06:09

Eligran just re-read my post. I did not mean to say your analogies are starting to sound the same, they don't, I meant some of the thread are starting to cover the same ground again. soop I don't iron.

soop Mon 10-Sep-12 17:10:46

Nana grin

Elegran Mon 10-Sep-12 17:26:46

nanadogsbody If I start repeating myself, do tell me!

Nanadogsbody Mon 10-Sep-12 17:57:58

Ditto Eligran smile

Greatnan Mon 10-Sep-12 18:25:06

Lilygran - flippancy is fine on many threads, but I feel it is inappropriate and insensitive to chat about what you are having for your dinner on a thread about a terrible tragedy.

Anagram Mon 10-Sep-12 18:36:58

I agree.

Lilygran Mon 10-Sep-12 18:45:42

Who did that?

Anagram Mon 10-Sep-12 18:48:36

Someone who didn't take kindly to having it pointed out to them.

Greatnan Mon 10-Sep-12 18:52:56

Read the thread about the Annecy tragedy.

JO4 Mon 10-Sep-12 18:53:02

Was it necessary to point it out to them? Could that be taken as being insensitive in itself?

Greatnan Mon 10-Sep-12 18:55:25

No, it was necessary to return the thread to the proper subject. You had the grace to admit you were wrong to post inappropriate banter about it, Jingle , but other people did not.

absentgrana Mon 10-Sep-12 19:55:36

No, soop of course not.
No, vampire of course not.
A newspaper once recorded me as being "uncharacteristically robust" bags so perhaps I should do something about that.

gracesmum I was referring specifically to replies directed at me. I knew they were directed at me because they began absent or absentgrana. I appreciate that, if it is a long thread, people don't always want to trawl through the whole thing. smile

Yes, kittylester, it is a shame. Thank you for a a vote of confidence.

Whatever Alison MA

I have to post now because if I move to the next page, I lose what I have written (for what it's worth) [tee hee emoticon]

POGS Mon 10-Sep-12 20:20:03

Wasn't the Annecy thread deleted by G.N?.

JO 4 did have comments deleted but to be fair she did also apologise. It was a few other comments made by some other G.N.'s on the thread that tipped the balance of so-called Forum Etiquette. I think the thread became silly and quite personal that's why it was deleted.

Anagram Mon 10-Sep-12 20:27:51

No, POGS, it was the thread started by AngieBaby which was deleted. The Annecy thread is still there, if you search.

POGS Mon 10-Sep-12 20:45:41

Anagram.

Thank you, you are quite right.

It just goes to show how many threads turn nasty, they are all moulding into one.

All too silly. confused

POGS Mon 10-Sep-12 21:00:27

Am I going mad or has this thread morphed into:-

Other Subjects. I for one don't know where this website would be without.

Anagram Mon 10-Sep-12 21:17:45

See my reply on Other Thread, POGS! grin

POGS Mon 10-Sep-12 21:22:46

Anagram.

That's why I thought I had gone bonkers.

I genuinely thought I had posted on the wrong thread, then I realised the same point had been raised on both threads. Made me feel better.

Glad you can see it too.

wine

Anagram Mon 10-Sep-12 21:33:18

grin

kittylester Mon 10-Sep-12 21:44:19

I admit to saying what I was having for tea on the Annecy thread and I apologise if anyone thought it was insensitive. I was goaded into it, entirely unlike me, but sometimes enough is enough! I think I was probably among the least offensive posters on that thread.

POGS Mon 10-Sep-12 21:48:57

kitty

It was not you, don't worry. The thread was shifted by a few G.N.'s. I saw what you wrote and I agree with you, you were simply responding to the way the thread had been trivialised by others.

Greatnan Mon 10-Sep-12 22:46:55

Kitty, I am glad to see you have apologised, like JO4. I am not sure what you mean by saying you were goaded into your comment- by whom?

JO4 Mon 10-Sep-12 23:06:23

Shall we knock all this apologising on the head right now?!

And the commenting on whether people should or should not post what they do on which threads.

IYSWIM

hmm

Look to your own posts, never mind all the criticising.