Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect that not all grandfathers are known as grandad?!

(41 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Sep-12 11:16:29

I have been ranting grin

Trying to find a card for "grandpa" has proved impossible. Every single one (in ten shops or more) has been for "grandad". Yet our family (and so many other people I've asked) have always used "grandpa" - and sending a card that says "grandad" would be like addressing it to Martin if their name is actually Michael.

Has anyone found or received a "grandpa" card? According to the owner of one card the word is only used in America! Um...not in our family or countless others. And are there other popular grandparent names you'd like to see but never been able to find?

I'm on a mission!!

Faye Tue 25-Sep-12 08:38:15

One thing I noticed when living in the UK was it was difficult to buy a birthday card without it having ie 'Happy Birthday Grandma or Merry Christmas to my Brother and his Wife etc? A card with Happy Birthday and the purchaser fills it in how they like is preferable. Maybe it was where I shopped but I remember finding it a tad annoying not to be able to buy a Birthday card with no title on it.

Hedgehog Mon 24-Sep-12 20:47:59

Grandpa cards are definitely in Clintons! My husband is 'Grandpa' and he received 3 lovely cards from his granddaughters last week - all saying Grandpa!!

gramps Mon 24-Sep-12 18:51:33

My grand daughter, now 17, calls me "Gramps" which I love!
My two older grandsons call me "Grandad. That's ok too!

HappyNanna Mon 24-Sep-12 17:07:31

There are definitely Grandpa cards in the shops. My children (now grown-up) have managed to buy cards every year for both birthday and christmas times.

goldengirl Mon 24-Sep-12 16:17:49

I called my grandfather 'Bompa'. There's certainly no card to my knowledge with that name on it smile. Similarly one of my granddaughters calls me 'maman'. Perhaps there's a business opportunity here?

Nelliemoser Sun 23-Sep-12 16:16:02

My children identified their grandparents as Nanny I* and Nanny E* and Grandad T* and Grandpa M***. otherwise calling them Nanny or Grandad and Grandpa. Neither grandmother wanted to be called "Granny."

SJP Sat 22-Sep-12 20:48:08

Try Moon pig you can personalise cards to what name is appropriate.

Nelliemoser Fri 21-Sep-12 16:18:34

That is www.moonpig.com/uk/ Googling moonpig will get you there. I hope it helps!

Nelliemoser Fri 21-Sep-12 16:13:21

Try "Moonpig" they might be able to do you one to order.

anma Fri 21-Sep-12 15:41:16

My 19 month GS was shouting for his Dadgan yesterday confused

Nanban Fri 21-Sep-12 09:25:38

Hey, make your own! Easy peasy - if you want tips go look up card making. Essentially print any writing on your computer and run it off on a bit of card. Get some sticky back paper and cut some basic shapes out; balloons are easy and ink in some strings; or numbers for his/her birthday - if you want to be more adventurous get a clip of something from clip art, stick some fabric on double sided sticky paper, cut it out and voila bang it on the card. Elephants are nice.

glassortwo Wed 19-Sep-12 19:24:29

I had two Nannas and from being very small I would call my paternal Nanna Nanna Pipe as my Grandad smoked a pipe, as I was the eldest my siblings they also called them Nanna and Grandad Pipe.

annodomini Wed 19-Sep-12 19:18:12

My two youngest GSs have two grannies, one step-granny, one great-granny and one step-grandma; one granda, one grandad, one step-granda. I think that's all. I (paternal granny) am Granny A; maternal granny is Granny E; step-granny is Granny M; and great granny is just Granny. I think the boys have now just about sussed it. Comes of having divorced grandparents and I'm the only one still single.

Anne58 Wed 19-Sep-12 18:44:41

Mr P is known to his step grands as "Grampy Bill", partly because I always called my own grandfather "Grampy". He does worry thought that it sounds a bit like "Grumpy Bill", which he definitely isn't!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 19-Sep-12 17:53:08

I am the grand-daughter, daughter and wife of Grandpas, but get round the problem by never using birthday cards with names on!

shysal Wed 19-Sep-12 17:10:34

Ebay has a small selection of Grandpa cards.

Sue162 Wed 19-Sep-12 16:08:11

My husband and my son's father in law are both called Paul. So to avoid problems, he is Grandad Paul and my husband is Grandad Bear (now, naturally, shortened to Bear). This makes me Nanny Bear. No chance of any cards there, then, so my son and daughter in law just buy ordinary grandad cards and write the "proper" names inside - our Littlies are too small to write yet. I think it is lovely to have a special name - the husband of one of my friends is known as "Gnome" - always thought that was great. smile

jeni Wed 19-Sep-12 15:35:32

I think I'm grrrranny ikad!confused

LaGrandeDuchesse Wed 19-Sep-12 15:28:18

oops should have been www.marksandspencer.com/Grandpa-Letterpress-Cake-Birthday-Card/dp/B004EHGN1A

LaGrandeDuchesse Wed 19-Sep-12 15:27:26

[http://www.marksandspencer.com/Grandpa-Letterpress-Cake-Birthday-Card/dp/B004EHGN1A]

Here is an uninspiring one from M&S.

They are very thin on the ground even online.

Elegran Wed 19-Sep-12 14:51:54

Go and look on www.folksy.com - individuals selling all kinds of handmade things, including cards which they will personalise as you wish. (Yes I suppose this is advertising, in a way, but it is advertising a lot of individual craftspeople, most of them amateurs....... a bit like saying "get it on ebay".....)

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Sep-12 14:33:12

granjura absolutely - and it's because he is so proud of being a grandpa that we wanted to find a card.

gracesmum yes have had the same problem - was pleased to find a "gran" card.

anno yes I'm a big moonpig fan. But she wanted to come and choose in the shops with me this time.

And glass - Very proud to be a northerner (but I still use grandpa!)

glassortwo Wed 19-Sep-12 14:26:23

flick My DGC call my FIL their Grandad, used a lot in the North.

FlicketyB Wed 19-Sep-12 14:20:12

I would have said that 'Grandpa' was just as popular as 'Grandad'. I have rarely heard anyone call or refer to their grandfather as 'Grandad'.

Sadly my DGC only have one living grandfather as DDiL's father died when she was a toddler. He is called 'Grandpa'. The Grandm's are just that, with their first names appended to differentiate. DS was hoping that I would be called Grannima, which is what he called his paternal grandmother, but despite his best attempts 'Grandma' seems to be winning

granjura Wed 19-Sep-12 14:05:57

I love being 'Gwanny' smile