Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be cross about neighbours cat in my HOUSE

(111 Posts)
JessM Fri 21-Sep-12 13:31:40

Next door's cat has started wandering into the back door and making itself at home. Just chased it round the house and threw water over it (YES!) but it is bad enough when other people's pets invade the garden.
The other day it narrowly missed being locked into my house for a week - i would have not been pleased to return from holidays and find a dead cat ... but on the other hand...

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Sep-12 13:35:04

Can you borrow a dog?

JessM Fri 21-Sep-12 13:50:11

Not sure that I know any. Now my son's mastiff would be perfect but he is in the wrong country.

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Sep-12 14:05:49

You can buy cat scarers which apparently work.

Nelliemoser Fri 21-Sep-12 14:14:31

Cats are unbiddable! Really the only way is to not leave the door open. I don't know if movement sensor alarms would work. A good water pistol might help. Water can't really hurt a cat (as long as you keep hold of the bucket.)

Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 14:26:23

Water pistol it!

whitewave Fri 21-Sep-12 14:33:21

Poor little thing! Don't be such gits.

Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 14:50:22

It's only water whitewave grin

whitewave Fri 21-Sep-12 14:57:41

Yes but think of the indignity it suffered - quite ruffled him I bet! Almost as bad as my terrier chasing them out of the garden when they come in after the birds.

petallus Fri 21-Sep-12 15:41:28

I like cats and have one at present but we have problems with a large black Tom coming through our cat flap and eating my little white cat's food.

I don't like putting a collar on my cat so can't use a magnetic catflap.

However, I like all animals, including cats, so tolerate Blackie with good humour.

Some people feel pleased if a cat starts to visit but I suppose for that you would have to like the little scamps.

Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 16:39:33

whitewave grin

whenim64 Fri 21-Sep-12 16:56:49

My daughter's cat visits next door and charms them into giving him bacon. Last year, said neighbour produced a Polaroid photo of the cat asleep in their bed, under the covers! They don't seem to mind him making himself at home hmm

Grannylin Fri 21-Sep-12 16:59:19

jess you might have returned to a house full of fleas!My silly, soft DD got a kitten but did not have a cat flap.She has been regularly leaving her back door open and a particular manky alley cat has been sneaking in.She went away for a weekend and came back to a house hopping with fleas.DD is still staying with us, a month later! We have had the house fumigated, tried aerosols, everything and yet the house still isn't clear.Get a water pistol or use a washing up liquid container full of water and squirt like mad!

JessM Fri 21-Sep-12 17:21:54

Chances of me remembering to close the door are low if I am popping out to the line or compost bin. But i suppose winter is coming.
Dignity whitewave - animals are not that complicated - to have a sense of dignity would imply a "theory of mind" - and "self" and have a sense of how other minds might view that self.
Cats shed fleas and also toxoplasmosis www.nhs.uk/conditions/Toxoplasmosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Which causes babies to be born blind if mother infected during pregnancy.
Dog owners don't normally let their animals defaecate in other people's gardens (front gardens occasionally, yes I know) but it seen as socially acceptable by cat owners.

glitabo Fri 21-Sep-12 17:27:25

I really, really, really dislike cats. Sorry Petallus and all other cat lovers.

I had one in my house this summer and I screamed at it so much that a man doing work in my garden rushed in with a hammer in his hand as he thought I was being attacked. blush

JessM Fri 21-Sep-12 17:51:46

Oh it was you screaming!

petallus Fri 21-Sep-12 18:10:32

glitabo no need to apologise as far as I'm concerned; I'm not one of those cat fanatics and like other animals as well.

Are you frightened of cats then (the screaming)?

glitabo Fri 21-Sep-12 18:24:55

No I am not frightened of them, but I do not like the way they sidle up and rub against me with their backs arched, and they have been known to jump on my lap and just wish they would not do that.

mollie65 Fri 21-Sep-12 18:38:23

get a lurcher - cats are easily sorted

johanna Fri 21-Sep-12 18:58:26

petallus
My son and DIL have a magnetic flap. But guess what? The next door neighbour, the cat that is, followed their cat in nose to tail when the flap opened.
Clever.

granjura Fri 21-Sep-12 19:32:50

mollie65 what are you advocating here? Our neighbour in Staffs smashed the jaw of our cat with a spade- that was quite effective too(:

nightowl Fri 21-Sep-12 20:13:06

Gosh what an angry lot you are! Do cats really evoke such hostility? Take a chill pill folks....smile

Marelli Fri 21-Sep-12 20:40:17

Love cats....they can do no wrong in my eyes! smile

annodomini Fri 21-Sep-12 21:54:50

I miss having cats but they would not survive on this road. Although I am a cat person, I am well aware of the danger they pose to the bird population and am very glad to see that there aren't many cats around here - the fact that my neighbour has a houseful of labradors may have something to do with it.

Lilygran Fri 21-Sep-12 22:21:50

A friend's next door neighbour, who had always been very affable, turned quite nasty after the friend's cat got into the neighbour's house and late at night attacked his foot (sticking out from the duvet) with teeth and claws. I like cats very much but I think I would draw the line at having my foot savaged.