Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be cross about neighbours cat in my HOUSE

(112 Posts)
JessM Fri 21-Sep-12 13:31:40

Next door's cat has started wandering into the back door and making itself at home. Just chased it round the house and threw water over it (YES!) but it is bad enough when other people's pets invade the garden.
The other day it narrowly missed being locked into my house for a week - i would have not been pleased to return from holidays and find a dead cat ... but on the other hand...

Littlenellie Sun 30-Sep-12 10:28:52

Thought it might have been woof jo grin

JO4 Sat 29-Sep-12 19:18:52

There is a particular sound that scares the life out of cats. It is a combination of Pissshhh and Pwuuueee, followed up with a Gronnnnnnn!!! Works really well, but best if no neighbours around at the time.

Also You could try this. I used it one Summer and it was quite funny to see the neighbours' cat pause, steel itself, and then rush headlong across the garden. smile

shysal Sat 29-Sep-12 19:13:05

jeni the cat's name is Pocket - I have no idea why!

crimson Sat 29-Sep-12 18:22:25

jeni; as long a a whippet has a run around for 5 minutes a day they'll sleep the rest of the time. Mine has a crate in the kitchen full of duvets, a cat flap so she can go outside and has part of the garden fenced off so she can run around in her bit and not trash the rest of the garden [which she would do; I wouldn't have a plant or blade of grass left. They're lovely for sitting on your lap and watching the telly because they're sighthounds. Some do suffer from separation anxiety stuff, but my two haven't. They have to be house dogs because of their coats.

jeni Sat 29-Sep-12 18:15:54

Please don't tell me it answers to the name 'lucky'

crimson Sat 29-Sep-12 18:02:48

Then, not only is she a very good vet but also a saint smile. And the cat has now only got 8 lives left....

shysal Sat 29-Sep-12 17:47:14

crimson the vet did not own the cat when it had the accident, she saved his life and circumstances led to her giving him a loving home. He has a great quality of life and you should see him move when so inclined!

jeni Sat 29-Sep-12 16:40:37

I'd like a whippet but as I'm out so much it wouldn't be fair!
Cats are out as I'm allergic to them!

Mishap Sat 29-Sep-12 15:53:01

I fancy a nice little rat myself!

As you may have guessed I am not a cat lover! - but even if I were, why would I want someone else's cat moseying on in and eating my food off the table, as has happened to us? If you keep a pet, you have a duty to make sure it is not a nuisance to others.

The assumption amongst pet lovers that everyone loves their pet the same as they do is a huge mistake! How many times have I heard "Oh he's just being friendly!" as someone's d**n dog slobbers all over my face, scratches my new trousers to bits, splodges mud all over my clean clothes. Hrrmph!

If you keep a pet, you must curb its antisocial behaviour. And never assume that others do not mind - they do!!

crimson Fri 28-Sep-12 22:20:09

I'm not sure if that vet was a very good vet or a very bad one, given the state of his cat, shysal confused.

nightowl Fri 28-Sep-12 20:38:27

shysal smile

have you seen any stray pigs or goats or elephants?

Littlenellie Fri 28-Sep-12 20:37:56

Want a chimpanzee a giraffe and an elephant,just love animals,any thing warm and furry.

nightowl Fri 28-Sep-12 20:35:39

Where are all these stray goats, pigs, elephants? Or shares in cats for Lilygran and anno? There must be some in need of shelter somewhere grin

I used to drive my mum crackers asking for a pit pony grin grin

shysal Fri 28-Sep-12 20:34:03

There are more cats that humans in my neighbourhood, and they do tend to visit each others' houses. One cat from next door has one eye, three legs, is deaf and brain damaged. He can be seen at any window in any house , staring out with his beady eye. His owner, a vet, is very apologetic but nobody really minds. I didn't tell her that he had peed on my mobile phone - the innards dried sticky so it never worked properly again!

crimson Fri 28-Sep-12 20:29:42

I always wanted an elephant sad.

Littlenellie Fri 28-Sep-12 20:17:03

nightowl would love a horse,or a goat ,or a pig grin

annodomini Fri 28-Sep-12 20:10:51

My dad had part shares in a huge tabby cat called Tigger. He spent the day with dad and went home in the evening. He used to bring his peoplw - not dad - rabbits and pheasants, a very useful hunter. I wouldn't mind a cat like that who wouldn't be a tie, but would keep me company while I'm at home.

nightowl Fri 28-Sep-12 19:50:46

Me too nellie. When I was little I used to dream of finding a stray dog or cat. Or preferably a horse grin

Lilygran Fri 28-Sep-12 19:49:09

I'd love a visiting cat and I live in hope as after something of a cat famine round here, I have seen three different ones in the last few weeks.

Littlenellie Fri 28-Sep-12 19:25:05

Or anything furry and small just love animals...feline or canine xx

nightowl Fri 28-Sep-12 14:47:40

I would love it if a cat came to visit me, but I wouldn't encourage it as I had a neighbour that did that with my cat (now gone to the cat's paradise in the sky) and I was infuriated. She fed him rubbish and made him very fat which contributed to his death. I can understand that it would be annoying to have a cat visitor if you don't like cats. I just love 'em all - cats, mice, birds, foxes......

crimson Fri 28-Sep-12 14:18:14

It wouldn't bother me if a cat came to visit me sometimes [in fact, I'd quite welcome it..it still bugs me that a feral cat gave birth to a little kitten in my neighbours garden and not mine, as they kept him and he's gorgeous]. I think it would bother me if it was a firniture scratcher [strangely enough I've never had a cat that scratched furniture or a dog that chews shoes..they've done pretty much everything else that they shouldn't]. Or if it scent marked; I wouldn't like that. But a visit would be fine.

Littlenellie Fri 28-Sep-12 07:30:17

My OH would have a hissy fit as he hates cats,the dogs would chase puss out,but one more animal wouldn't make much difference as long as it didn't pee everywhere and it was well behaved,but that's just my opinion,I am sure that if you we're upset and annoyed by puss visiting then it would be very difficult,and we all have a right for our homes not to be invaded by unwelcome visitors,so yes I do think you have the right to be annoyed as it is not something you want,but what to do about it is another matterxxxx

annodomini Fri 28-Sep-12 00:11:51

No matter how much or how little you pay for them, nobody ever 'owns' a cat.

petallus Thu 27-Sep-12 23:17:15

I don't know how JessM (the OP) would feel about the intruding cat's owner having to 'get rid of it'.

It's not something I would want to be responsible for in similar circumstances. But then I quite like cats and, up to a point, am willing to live and let live.