Gransnet forums

AIBU

to start destroying post that is coming to me in error

(5 Posts)
Woody Fri 21-Sep-12 17:39:13

For the past two weeks I have been receiving post for a male who has never lived at this address. I started putting it back in the postbox "return to sender" then as I live at number 1 I knocked on the door of number 11 - with no luck, earlier this week I opened one thinking I could phone the company (could see it was from a finance company by the printing on the front) tried phoning but was left on hold for so long I gave up. Today I have received another letter from an on-line insurance company with no phone number on letter and when I looked on the internet they can only be contacted by e-mail so I sent an e-mail explaining problem but an automated reply has come back "enquiry cannot be dealt with" I have now decided I will destroy all future letters but it does worry me a bit that my address might be blacklisted if the person is applying for some sort of credit facility.

Ana Fri 21-Sep-12 17:45:05

I wouldn't destroy the post - your address may well have been used by someone else to gain credit. I think you should contact the police.

Greatnan Fri 21-Sep-12 17:47:07

Write to Experian (you will find their address at their website) and ask for his name to be removed from your address.

Nelliemoser Fri 21-Sep-12 17:49:03

I think its technically an offence to destroy post thats not yours. However if its from a finance company and someone has given your home as a false address your credit rating could be affected. I would seek advce from CAB or try a money advice website. I dont think it would be a good idea just to ignore it.

Woody Fri 21-Sep-12 17:56:44

Ok thanks - I wont destroy any more and will write to Experian.