Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you think these parents have a problem?

(37 Posts)
Lilygran Wed 26-Sep-12 19:15:27

I posted this on another thread but got told off it was suggested it wasn't relevant. www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children_shealth/9562577/Parents-shock-as-childrens-pool-party-coincides-with-naturist-outing.html

Notsogrand Wed 26-Sep-12 19:29:59

If I was the mother of the birthday boy, I would certainly have a problem!

I'd have a problem with not having been told about this other booking in advance, so that I could make an informed decision about whether to go ahead with the childrens' birthday party.

I'd have a problem with my son and his friends being exposed to the willies of 20 strangers.

I'd have a problem with any insinuation, however slight, that this is all normal and natural and that I shouldn't be such a prude.

The management of the venue would have a GIGANTIC problem if they didn't give me a full refund for my birthday party booking.

glassortwo Wed 26-Sep-12 19:35:45

notso me to shock

Ana Wed 26-Sep-12 20:08:53

They put paper and bin bags up at the viewing windows...! So they did realise that something wasn't right then. hmm

JO4 Wed 26-Sep-12 20:23:20

I saw this on the other thread Lilygran.

I think for a bunch of seven year olds it could have made the party! grin

But yes. Bad planning on behalf of the management.

jeni Wed 26-Sep-12 20:39:50

So! It's nature!

petallus Wed 26-Sep-12 21:05:57

Yes bad planning is all.

I suppose the windows were covered as soon as adults realised there had been a mistake with the bookings.

Regrettable but not the end of the world.

Greatnan Wed 26-Sep-12 21:07:23

My girls would just have giggled.

Bags Wed 26-Sep-12 21:24:18

It wouldn't bother me, and I doubt if it would bother most children to see a few adults swimming naked.

BTW what have naked swimming and a children's party got to do with yoga in church halls? Am I missing something?

Bags Wed 26-Sep-12 21:27:25

Do you suppose such parents would 'protect' their children from seeing Michelangelo's David?

JO4 Wed 26-Sep-12 21:30:23

Or the naked rambler?

Bags Wed 26-Sep-12 21:35:57

Except that David is beautiful and the naked rambler is not (in my opinion), what's the difference?

[devil's advocate emoticon] wink

JO4 Wed 26-Sep-12 21:44:09

A willy's a willy for a' that! smile

JO4 Wed 26-Sep-12 21:44:29

grin

Bags Wed 26-Sep-12 21:48:15

grin

annodomini Wed 26-Sep-12 22:52:10

I can imagine the tittering that would be going on! My GS (then 7), when informed that he couldn't go any further along a particular beach because it was a naturist area, was all for going and joining in. Not sure if he was also told it was a gay naturist beach....
BTW, why is it that the people who take their clothes off are the ones you really would prefer to see clothed?

Littlenellie Thu 27-Sep-12 09:16:16

It was obviously bad planning on behalf of the swimming pool,I am just thinking naked adults having fun in a non threatening way to the children,embarrassing yes but harmful no I don't think so,not right obviously,at 6/7 children are quite amused by bums and willies....some of us never grow out of it...would have just asked management to fill in the gaps a bit better,after I had had a look purely in the interests of risk assessment of course dare I grin hope I don't upset anyone with my two pen north .

absentgrana Thu 27-Sep-12 09:19:24

I've mentioned before that I think most men look pretty ridiculous without their clothes. This would have put me right off my slice of birthday cake. grin

Greatnan Thu 27-Sep-12 09:23:17

American advertisers are not allowed to use the word vagina. They can say penis. When my girls used the correct anatomical names at primary schools some other mothers complained that they were corrupting their little darlings. It is odd how all the synonyms for the female genitals seem to be unpleasant whilst those for the penis stress its strength and power.

Lilygran Thu 27-Sep-12 09:29:43

Perhaps that's why so many of us prefer 'willy', Greatnan grin

goldengirl Thu 27-Sep-12 18:27:32

I wonder what the reaction would have been by the naturists if the children had gone outside and had a good giggle! Seriously though, it was a mess up (I couldn't write what I really mean grin) and both sides should have had a refund.

vampirequeen Fri 28-Sep-12 15:42:23

Would the children have even noticed if the parents hadn't made such a fuss by positioning themselve strategically so the children couldn't see. My experience of parties is that once the food appears the children think of nothing else. If they had seen anything I doubt any would have been damaged more likely they'd have an uncontrollable fit of the giggles and it would be a party they would remember for ever.

Nanban Sat 29-Sep-12 09:31:11

I've always found it remarkable how little children notice outside their own little worlds and how 'for granted' they take things. Now, if it had been My birthday party I would have been outraged and I can see where you are coming from. The 'naked' party should have been well advertised for one and all to choose and the swimming pool were completely wrong.

jeni Sat 29-Sep-12 09:42:20

If it'd been my party I'd probably have joined in!

annodomini Sat 29-Sep-12 09:54:33

jeni wink. I suspect my some of my GC would have wanted to do likewise!