Gransnet forums

AIBU

To leave the room

(71 Posts)
tanith Tue 02-Oct-12 16:39:55

OH has recently started a 3 day week , his choice and I am enjoying having him around more so we can not only go out and about but share some of the chores which I took on when I retired , he was still working a long day and I was fine about doing the lions share.
One thing that is really getting on my nerves is that when he has nothing to occupy him he has the tv on and watches 'rubbish', which is ok if thats what he wants to do but our house is small we have kitchen and living room downstairs so if the tv is on I either come upstairs and use the computer or read in the garden , but now as the weather is turning I end up sat at the kitchen table reading or doing soduko, sewing , etc with the door shut so I can't hear the tv . Today OH said it would be nice if you came and sat with me and watch tv and I snapped at him saying I really had no inclination to watch either day time tv or old movies.. he looked really hurt and went and sat back down.. Now I do sit with him in the evenings to watch some tv but usually leave the room as soon as he puts the tv on during the day and I know he does like to snuggle up on the couch when we are watching something but I've never watched daytime tv and find it such a waste of time I'd rather go for a walk , OH is not a walker so I can't suggest he joins me.

Am I being nasty? Love to hear different views

Greatnan Sat 06-Oct-12 23:53:56

Thank you, Anne - I once went to the Caribbean with them.

anneandgraham Sat 06-Oct-12 22:39:13

Greatnan we went with Travelsphere uk company gone in with Page and Moy now that is who we are going to India with and who we went to China with.

We thoroughly enjoyed trip and then went on to Thailand with that particular holiday.

Charlotta Sat 06-Oct-12 15:57:19

Looking round at my group of friends, I think it is normal for a couple in these days, when we are all living longer, to sit in seperate rooms even sleep in seperate bedrooms.
The aristocracy have always done it. The plebs have to share a bed till death parts them.

I'm glad that DH doesn't like daytime TV, but then he can still go on long hikes and we even have seperate holidays sometimes. It works fine!
If you don't like TV then make the spare bedroom into YOUR room. Put a computer in and an easy chair and shut the door.

tanith Fri 05-Oct-12 21:32:59

Me too Mishap although it was my choice to leave OH to it and come play some games on my 'puter there was nothing that grabbed my attention this evening.. grin

Greatnan Fri 05-Oct-12 20:41:12

You have missed Mastermind!

Mishap Fri 05-Oct-12 19:39:53

At this moment I am sitting upstairs in the office at my computer because the noisy sci-fi film that is filling my living room is totally ghastly! I have indeed left the room!

Greatnan Fri 05-Oct-12 18:53:11

Anneand graham - did you arrange your tour with a UK travel agent? I am really interested in seeing China, but not the big cities.

anneandgraham Fri 05-Oct-12 16:02:12

we visited China for my 50th greatnan that was about 8 years ago was very interesting visit, saw Terracotta warriors, and the GReat wall, Tinamen square etc was very educational and good time.

Greatnan Fri 05-Oct-12 09:09:12

It is the way with forums, just like spoken conversations between friends! By the way, I obviously can't watch TV when I am out on my long walks or off on my travels - I am strictly a bad weather viewer! (But I do record Countdown).

Nanadogsbody Fri 05-Oct-12 08:46:23

Sounds like a plan* greatnan*. Just thinking how far this thread has travelled from one older person who is happy watching daytime TV ad nauseum to the travels, past, present and future of another.

Greatnan Fri 05-Oct-12 08:36:53

I am in no hurry - I love my life in the French Alps. My daughter wants me safely installed in a cottage in her garden in NZ whilst I am still fit and active. I don't think the NZ authorities are as welcoming to sponsored parents if they are likely to prove a big drain on resources. I have just turned 72, and hope to be scrambling up steep mountain paths for another five years or so. In the meantime, I spend about six weeks a year in NZ and next Spring I am planning to take a week to explore the deep South - I want to see Fjiordland and Mt. Cook. Last trip,I added on a week in Phuket, and next time I will take a snorkeling trip to one of the South Pacific islands, possibly New Caledonia.
Another Gransnetter will be there before me - actually in the next village and I am looking forward to meeting her.
I love NZ and the friendly Kiwis but I want to see even more of Europe - I have visited all the countries of Western Europe and I am busy exploring Switzerland and Italy as it is quite easy to reach them from my home. I want to see some countries of Eastern Europe before I leave - Croatia and Bulgaria look interesting.
Once I emigrate, I hope to be able to visit Cambodia and Laos. I would love to visit China, but it would have to be with a guided tour. I already know Malaysia quite well because another daughter lived there for three years - that was where I discovered the wonders of snorkeling on coral, on The Pehrentian Islands.

Nanadogsbody Fri 05-Oct-12 08:24:13

When is it you go greatnan?

Greatnan Thu 04-Oct-12 23:30:53

You are all quite right - but I get a bit sensitive because my daughter sneers at my TV viewing ! She hardly ever watches TV, but neither will I when I live in NZ - their TV is rubbish. (Ha ha - she doesn't know yet that iportal works all over the world - but I will be living in separate accommodation so I won't be disturbing her peace).

Nanadogsbody Thu 04-Oct-12 23:16:50

That's ok then, so glad you cleared up that point. wink

merlotgran Thu 04-Oct-12 23:10:41

It would, Nanadogs but when I chucked out the French maid's outfit I kept the fishnet stockings wink

Nanadogsbody Thu 04-Oct-12 23:00:56

Wow! SEXY merlot but doesn't it get a bit chilly between the bottom of the jacket and the top of the boots?

merlotgran Thu 04-Oct-12 22:55:34

Didn't you know, Nanadogs, a padded jacket and lumberjack boots is the new french maid's outfit? grin shock

Nanadogsbody Thu 04-Oct-12 22:52:22

merlot do tell? My imagination is running wild!

Nanadogsbody Thu 04-Oct-12 22:51:41

Sorry to go cross gartered thread anno but don't you have tin hips? (Trying hard not to laugh.....honest) wink

Exactly ana grin

merlotgran Thu 04-Oct-12 22:51:11

tanith, How do you think I keep my DH occupied?? grin

tanith Thu 04-Oct-12 22:49:23

I do wish that lighthearted questions didn't turn into something else all the time... it was a light and fluffy question ladies , I'm not about divorce my happy chappy.
I'd love to have our gas flame effect fire on all the time but I'm frightened about how much gas it'll use... maybe we should swop it for a wood burner then I could send him out to chop down trees... grin

Ana Thu 04-Oct-12 22:45:12

I agree, Nanad, that was the point I was making too. It's fine if you live alone, but two or more have to work out how to live together without getting on each other's nerves. I have every sympathy with you, tanith.

annodomini Thu 04-Oct-12 22:40:22

I must admit that I find it all too easy to get hooked on daytime TV if I have nothing better to do. That's why I have joined a gym. Don't laugh. grin

Nanadogsbody Thu 04-Oct-12 22:35:28

Wow! Where did dictating come from? When there are two or more people sharing one living area then there has to be compromise. Why should tanith have to take herself off like a refugee in her own house so the poor wee man can get his own way all the time?
It would be a completely different matter if they both enjoyed daytime TV, but that's not the case.

merlotgran Thu 04-Oct-12 22:31:48

Don't worry about downsizing, johanna. Plenty of small homes have woodburners.