Gransnet forums

AIBU

Prince Charles

(95 Posts)
Oldgreymare Tue 09-Oct-12 22:32:15

Am I the only person to wonder what has become of him, he seems to have disappeared confused

merlotgran Tue 09-Oct-12 22:49:11

I think he's taken early retirement, Oldgreymare, given that he hasn't started work yet grin

whenim64 Tue 09-Oct-12 22:51:01

He was on TV driving a train a few days ago. Perhaps he's gone to work for Virgin Rail? grin

Ana Tue 09-Oct-12 22:51:51

Yes, probably retreated to his shed to talk to his plants....

Oldgreymare Tue 09-Oct-12 23:30:12

In which case I hope he can recognise a cannabis plant when he sees one!

Nanadogsbody Tue 09-Oct-12 23:30:39

www.starsightings.com/Prince-Charles,-Prince-Of-Wales/

Oldgreymare Tue 09-Oct-12 23:34:21

Amazing! Theres a 'site' for everything, but it shows the last sighting was in July.
When are you sure it was him? After all there were several doubles for Saddam Hussein apparently. hmm

Faye Tue 09-Oct-12 23:48:05

He looks like he wears the same thing every day, or maybe the same thing in different shades of grey. confused

Faye Tue 09-Oct-12 23:51:43

And when someone says to him 'you look nice, Your Royal Highness,' he can truthfully reply. 'What, this old thing.' hmm

whenim64 Wed 10-Oct-12 00:11:14

ogm it was an official engagement he was on, and he had a go at driving a train. It was shown on a current Mock the Week a few days go, when Hugh Dennis did a comical narration of what he might have been saying. They were talking about what had been happening in the past week. Very funny!

Oldgreymare Wed 10-Oct-12 09:17:53

when, wish I'd seen that. Just wondering whether he has been given 'lighter duties' for a reason hmm!

Elegran Wed 10-Oct-12 10:00:10

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvBMFFHDMVE

Oldgreymare Wed 10-Oct-12 10:26:01

Thanks *Elegran
I read somewhere that Diana persuaded him into double-breasted suits, perhaps she should also have told him to undo the jacket buttons when sitting down unless one wanted to achieve the 'sack of potatoes' look.
hmm

dorsetpennt Sat 13-Oct-12 09:50:57

I think he may be standing back a bit. Afterall his reign on the throne will obviously be a short one like his great-great GF Edward VII. So maybe he wants William to take on a lot more as king-in-training, his reign would be longer. Maybe he isn't too well as a man in his mid-60's. His Mother is wonder-woman as far as energy is concerned, as is his father, maybe he isn't.
I do get fed up with thinking Diana was some sort of saint and he was the devil incarnate. Let's face it, he was drsgging his heels abiut finding a bride. Diana was 'thrown' at his feet because she had the right background and no sexual history. I remember watching her go up the aisle at their wedding and thinking 'what on earth are they thinking about'. She was a young girl, at her own admission not very cerebral, loved clothes, pop music etc. Typical of her age. He on the other hand had a completely different set of friends, pastimes,classical music, holistic medicine and views. It was a disaster and the people who pushed this marriage have a lot to answer for. Except of course they did produce Prince William and Harry [who will be super when he settles down a bit].

Lilygran Sat 13-Oct-12 10:14:32

He just took over an investiture from the Queen because she had an attack of sciatica.

Elle Sat 13-Oct-12 10:30:02

I agree with you about Prince Charles taking a back seat, Wills and Kate are taking on a lot of engagements, probably a training period for Kate. I also agree with you about Diana, he was pushed into that marriage, it was arranged and once the poor woman had produced the heir and a spare her job was done. The marriage should never have gone ahead because it's obvious that the real love of Charles' life was Camilla and, love her or hate her, she's been good for him and she's never put a foot out of line, she's taken on her role as the Duchess of Cornwall and carried out her duties with dignity.

absentgrana Sat 13-Oct-12 10:34:18

It must be very odd to be approaching 64 and still waiting to do the job you have been promised all your life and just waiting for your mother to pop her clogs so you can step into them. There can be only a limited number of times you can re-plan your coronation.

Gally Sat 13-Oct-12 10:45:40

He's probably still on his hols at Balmoral. I think now he has finally found happiness with Camilla, he is just todddling along and enjoying himself and making the most of the life which has been dealt him, so far as that is possible with all the constraints involved. I think he probably does a lot more than we hear about.

absentgrana Sat 13-Oct-12 10:48:13

We'd hear more about what he does if the Government would release the correspondence from the PoW concerning the phrasing of certain laws that it has been ordered to release under the Freedom of Information Act.

Lilygran Sat 13-Oct-12 11:48:03

Add comment | Report | Private message Lilygran Sat 13-Oct-12 10:14:32
He just took over an investiture from the Queen because she had an attack of sciatica.

gracesmum Sat 13-Oct-12 11:59:18

confused - gremlins lilygran?
Why do people enjoy knocking Prince Charles? OK he has made some major errors in his life, but no more so than many less high-profile people. He had a dysfunctional upbringing under the disastrous twin influences of Mountbatten and D of E, each contributing to a very mixed-up man. However beautiful, charming and ultimately tragic her life was, I don't think Diana was as green as she has been portrayed - growing up in her circle, she must have had a pretty good idea of what was in store, but the attraction of being Princess of Wales and possibly future Queen must have been too hard to resist.
I suspect that anti-Royalist sentiments have passed to HRH as HM is too much of a "national treasure" to be criticised.
Compared to previous royals like Edward VIII , Prince Charles is a paragon!

jeni Sat 13-Oct-12 12:06:36

Because he's worth it?grin

jeni Sat 13-Oct-12 12:07:41

Every time I see PoW I think it says prisoner of war!confused

nightowl Sat 13-Oct-12 12:13:58

I have to own up to a soft spot for Prince Charles. Oh dear, I have already confessed to feeling fond of the Queen and DofE on an earlier thread about the jubilee. I think I must be getting soft in my old age. And don't write him off just yet, if he lives to the age of his GM he could be around longer than some of us, and even be King for a good few years!

vampirequeen Sat 13-Oct-12 12:17:21

He's changing things in the background apparently. He wants to streamline the family so that fewer get the freebies as he's realised that we mugs are actually getting a bit fed up of paying for so many. Andrew is really upset cos his girls are being put off the gravy train.