Gransnet forums

AIBU

Prince Charles

(96 Posts)
Oldgreymare Tue 09-Oct-12 22:32:15

Am I the only person to wonder what has become of him, he seems to have disappeared confused

Grannybags Sat 13-Oct-12 16:26:09

Thanks jeni. I was thinking "Prisoner of War" - what does she mean! Just figured it out now!

jeni Sat 13-Oct-12 16:32:15

Yes. And a FEPOW, is a far eastern prisoner of war and were always given preferential treatment!

POGS Sat 13-Oct-12 19:42:57

I am sure he would far sooner have his mother alive and well than give mind to her health getting in his way of becoming King. I think he shows genuine love for his mother.

I quite like him. Can someone tell me what harm he has done? As for the marriage to Diana the poor devil was under a different pressure than we were. Heir to the throne and all that. William and Harry must thank goodness they are living in this day and age.

As for where has he been. I think the younger royals have obviously been taking the helm for a while. They are being groomed for their potential fate, as Her Maj found out when her father died life can come up and bite you on the backside.

gracesmum Sat 13-Oct-12 19:53:34

He knows the score and actually has done a great deal of good with his Prince's Trust - he doesn't often get a lot of credit for that.

merlotgran Sat 13-Oct-12 19:54:48

Should the Queen abdicate and give Prince Charles a crack of the whip before he gets much older or is there a chance the POW might be attending his own coronation on a zimmer frame? hmm

Elegran Sat 13-Oct-12 20:04:51

I can't see her abdicating until she is too frail to open a red box and sign her name. She is a trouper.

Lilygran Sat 13-Oct-12 20:38:15

I don't think Her Maj would ever consider abdicating. She has too strong a sense of duty. It's her responsibility.

JessM Sat 13-Oct-12 21:05:56

He is making whoopee, spending his state pension.

vampirequeen Sat 13-Oct-12 22:30:35

Maybe he's got his bus pass and is travelling around the country for free....oh no he already does that.

numberplease Sat 13-Oct-12 22:45:00

Well, I like him, and Camilla, and I think it`s time they stopped pussy footing around the Diana lovers and gave Camilla the title that she should hold, Princess of Wales.

gracesmum Sat 13-Oct-12 22:50:59

He's not 65 yet, jeni so his OAP won't be due until November 2013. But I wonder if he has ever paid NI so probably not eligible.
I like Camilla too, number - she's done him a power of good.

merlotgran Sat 13-Oct-12 23:02:11

I agree with that, number. It's a pity Charles dithered and didn't marry Camilla in the first place. They have always been a perfect match.

numberplease Sat 13-Oct-12 23:31:17

He seems a much happier, and more relaxed, man, since their marriage.

Oldgreymare Sun 14-Oct-12 00:17:18

Just idly wondering.....
By the by his ginger liqueur (made with organic vodka) goes down a treat especially with added fizz!

absentgrana Sun 14-Oct-12 09:06:10

number She is de facto HRH The Princess of Wales. They are probably wise not to use a title so closely linked to Diana as there are those who would regard it as deliberately inflammatory. Does it really matter?

numberplease Sun 14-Oct-12 16:01:45

Not in the grand scheme of things, no, but it just doesn`t seem very fair.

merlotgran Sun 14-Oct-12 20:18:30

Queen Camilla has quite a nice ring to it grin

Anne58 Sun 14-Oct-12 20:23:48

Alledgedly, Diana had to call him "Sir" , until they were officially engaged. I also seem to remember that when exdh and I lived at Windsor Castle, Charles was at one time "walking out" with Diana's sister (Sarah Spencer??)

absentgrana Mon 15-Oct-12 07:59:16

That sounds flash phoenix. I think Sarah Spencer, like Jane Wellesley, was one of the selected suitables at the time. Mountbatten also tried to pair him off with one of his granddaughters, but her mother wasn't having it.

Hunt Mon 15-Oct-12 09:33:26

I do like the way this thread has gone. I ,too, like them both. I think he has a quirky sense of humour.

vampirequeen Mon 15-Oct-12 09:37:07

Sorry to rain on your parade but he's a parasite. Never worked. Never paid NI. Only pays tax cos was forced to and pays the minimum amount due to clever accountants.

Spent his life being cossetted and kowtowed to.

mickey Mon 15-Oct-12 14:15:16

hear hear vampire queen-no more to be said.

Anne58 Mon 15-Oct-12 14:46:38

Boiled eggs & toothpaste

Lilygran Mon 15-Oct-12 15:15:54

He's not a parasite, he's the future head of state. Unless we go down the anarchist route - what are the chances of that turning out well in a modern industrialised country? we have to have one. We know how Charles got where he is. We tried a republic once before and ended up with something that didn't work as well as a monarchy. The real parasites are the EU commissioners etc who get there by a process no-one understands and all have to be paid for by us.

JessM Mon 15-Oct-12 18:29:18

Ok he gets a point for the Prince's Trust but wipes it out by his insistent championing of quack "medicine". Irresponsible man I reckon to champion things like homeopathy which encourage people to, at best, waste their money on sugar pills and at worst reject life saving treatments.