Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU - Tesco asking me to donate money on my shopping bill?

(39 Posts)
Maries Thu 18-Oct-12 07:19:41

I probably am being unreasonable but I resent it and I feel pressuured because I dont like to look mean.

Its not that I dont give to charity. I have several who I am currently digging into my purse for because of my job (I work in a Church foundation and we have a " charity" each term and everyone gives to it - as well as the school fund raising activities ). I work part time. DH is retired ( redundant early and works pension only) and mine is the main income now.

This is all about the current stand up for cancer campaign that Tesco seemto be involved in. I went into Tesco yesterday . I usually do main shopping on Friday but do bits in the week as Tesco is local. Yesterday at the till I was asked to donate a £1 on my grocery bill for charity.

AIBU in feeling this is pressure I dont need? I dont want to go into Tesco now. How many more times will they ask me for a £1 donation this week? I simply cannot afford it but I dont want to say no. I know I must but I feel I am being forced to look mean in front of others at the checkout.

Why did Tesco devise this policy. Is it a case I have to change supermarkets ( and go to a city 20 miles away for a different one) or is this not fair - or am I totally unreasonable?

JessM Thu 25-Oct-12 18:32:27

Nice one banana - a classic!

baNANA Thu 25-Oct-12 18:25:46

I was really irritated to be asked by a charity collector right outside my local Marks, a food outlet only, whether I would like to donate to such and such a charity. I was then put in the position of either ignoring the collector, which I did, or say no I wouldn't. I donate to a couple of charities several times over the course of a year, and I don't appreciate being hectored like this when I am doing a food shop. On a slightly different matter, and regarding Tesco, couldn't help laughing when doing an on line order, a certain brand of porridge priced at £1.50 for one box, or a special offer promotion 2 for £3.00, couldn't find anything particularly special about that offer! Maybe Tesco think their customers are "plebs"!

NfkDumpling Wed 24-Oct-12 21:52:00

Perhaps those who feel guilty for not giving should lie and say they have already donated - and then at least there would be something to feel guilty about! (It wouldn't be a proper lie most have given to something, sometime)

Elegran Wed 24-Oct-12 21:51:02

Our local mall has strict rules about where collectors can stand - no narrowing the space people can walk through, no rattling the can, no approaching people to ask for money, just stand still and smile. If that is made clear before they begin to collect, and any breaking the rules is jumped on, then the collectors should not be intrusive. If you feel corralled by the collectors, then tell the manager and suggest that they lay down some ground rules. He will not want to antagonise paying customers, and the charities may even find that they make more if people are not annoyed at them.

york46 Wed 24-Oct-12 21:38:47

On a similar tack, I object to charity collectors standing inside the supermarkets by the door, often two or more, creating a pinch point that you have to walk through as you leave the store. Why do I feel so guilty when I don't make a donation? I actively support a number of charities, but it simply isn't possible to support them all, however worthwhile the cause.

Gally Sat 20-Oct-12 11:24:48

Learner I am just back from Asda and didn't realise the small child at the end of the checkout was actually there to pack! I just carried on merrily packing my own things (I am quite fussy about what goes where). I think he was far too young to do it anyway, apart from the fact that his chin only just reached the counter. The collection was in aid of a neighbouring village's school so I didn't contribute -I'd rather, if at all, it went to our own school - is that wrong? hmm I often put small change in any available tin/box but I have my own particular charities which I give to on a regular basis and don't want to be coerced into doing something I don't feel happy with. (or with which I don't feel happy!)

Elegran Sat 20-Oct-12 11:18:41

Can I put in a word for the charities which do this packing/collection? If they are a relatively small local charity (as was the one I used to have connections with) it is so helpful to have a chance for volunteers, often young people, to turn up and do something practical to earn donations in a safe and warm/dry venue. So often they end up standing on a wet draughty street corner with passers-by brushing past them with eyes averted. On general collections standing in the concourse in our local mall (at least it is dry!) they are not supposed to rattle the can or speak until they are spoken to. Many don't volunteer again.

I agree with the cynicism of the supermarkets though. They get the kudos without spending anything themselves. If the collectors are polite and pleasant even when you do not use their packing, why not send a donation to their cause privately? That would reward their efforts without involving the supermarket.

Learnergran Sat 20-Oct-12 10:35:32

I agree with bikergran about the packers at ASDA - it happens often at my branch and it is very hard to say no, particularly when they are children, as they often are, collecting for local causes. Even when I manage to smile and say not today thanks, and pack myself, they are still there watching me and I find myself popping a coin into their bucket as I go!! confused

JessM Sat 20-Oct-12 09:37:14

When my social conscience kicks in i remind myself of the dreaded Shirley Porter, major Tesco heiress who got into some trouble when leading Westminster council. And then there is asda... not known for being particularly ethical. When companies throw themselves into charitable activities like this, they are seeking to cast their brand in a positive light. It is not entirely altruistic.

NfkDumpling Fri 19-Oct-12 22:26:09

Go on Maries rebel! Tesco think they know you, what you buy, how often, what offers to send you to spend the points on that they so generously give you out of their enormous profits. Be independent, tell them you already give to your chosen charities - but don't tell them which ones.

Or shop somewhere else.

annodomini Fri 19-Oct-12 21:44:50

Tesco is sponsoring Channel 4's fundraising marathon, 'Stand up to Cancer' tonight.

bikergran Fri 19-Oct-12 21:32:38

Went to Tesco today...as soon as I reached the top of the escalator! there were 2 staff asking if I wouldl liek to buy a raffle ticket for cancer.....
I used the self service till so didnt get asked at the till..

tattynan Fri 19-Oct-12 21:19:50

Maries - just say no thank you and give the cashier a smile. It my be hard to do the first time but its like everything els, the more you do it the easier it gets.

bikergran Thu 18-Oct-12 21:45:53

Also..whilst we are on the subject...I normaly shop as Asda and they too seem to have spasms..of charity collections (boy scouts, animal welfare, etc etc ) they are stood at the end with a bucket and ready to assist you in packing your bags for you, I feel that's intimidating as well.

Sook Thu 18-Oct-12 21:15:54

I stopped shopping in Tesco a long time ago due to poor customer service at our local store. Their offers were misleading and when price tickets were missing on goods their stock answer was "It should have the price on it" in other words put your specks on you old bat because I can't be bothered looking.

I don't like this method of fundraising so I wouldn't feel guilty about saying NO.

FlicketyB Thu 18-Oct-12 20:09:16

Its called emotional blackmail. I just say 'No thank you' and other people can think what they like

JessM Thu 18-Oct-12 20:07:20

and you don't get to gift aid that kind of donation if you are a taxpayer.

bikergran Thu 18-Oct-12 17:27:38

I do shop in Tesco now and then and recently there have been poeple down at the bottom of the escaltors, (wildlife, childrens charities etc) they don't collect donations they want you to sign up for DD.

POGS Thu 18-Oct-12 16:43:40

I shop at Tesco, amongst others. I have not been asked this question but I would simply say no thanks. I sure as heck would not feel guilty. I bet the checkout operator hates asking you and he/she probably feels just as bad.

I too am a little surprised Tesco have gone along with this as a concept!

wisewoman Thu 18-Oct-12 13:31:54

I would just say what i say to the chuggers - I have charities which I have chosen to support and prefer to give any donations to them. I usually find the chuggers are happy with that and don't push. you should never feel pressured to donate to any charity.

harrigran Thu 18-Oct-12 11:52:50

No you are not being unreasonable, you should be able to grocery shop without being pestered. I think we are all suffering from charity fatigue and they will lose out if they persist in asking. Charities are not run by volunteers, how much of the money goes out in administration ? Big supermarkets make massive profits, if they channel at least a percentage to a charity they could leave their customers to give in their own way.

gracesmum Thu 18-Oct-12 11:12:38

It is emotional blackmail and as reprehensible as the "chuggers" who used to accost me in London and make me feel guilty because I was not "saving the world" by taking out a direct debit for their charity. The legitimate answer to any request is "No" and were it to be challenged I would ask how much Tesco is donating from its excessive profits.

Bags Thu 18-Oct-12 10:36:33

Exactly, absent. I have withdrawn donations to several charities that I used to support for that very reason.

absentgrana Thu 18-Oct-12 10:32:38

Coercive fund-raising must surely be counter-productive as it makes one feel most uncharitable towards the charities doing it.

Bags Thu 18-Oct-12 10:31:14

I agree, barrow, that is moral (well immoral, actually) blackmail. There is too much of it about and I think it is based on the idea of the means justifying the end which is itself immoral.