Gransnet forums

AIBU

zombie walk

(14 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 01-Nov-12 00:35:31

My grandson was in the city with his mum and dad at the weekend when they got surrounded by people taking part in a 'zombie walk'. Grandson is only two years old and was so TERRIFIED he couldn't stop screaming, and even daughter admitted to finding some of the costumes and make-up realistically scary. Grandson is now really, really worried about 'monsters' - and there's no point telling him there are no monsters because he's seen them for himself. AIBU to be angry that this walk took place in the middle of the afternoon with no prior warning for unsuspecting parents out shopping with young children?

Anne58 Thu 01-Nov-12 00:41:32

Tough one, really. I can fully understand your DGS being upset, but I'm not sure how any effective pre warning might have been done. Ok, they could put it in the local paper, but not everyone reads it.

Personally I'm not good with things like this, even though deep down I know it's only people dressed up. This is someone who got off the haunted/ghost ride thing at Disneyland Paris before it had even got going!

kittylester Thu 01-Nov-12 05:49:29

Brave getting on in the first place phoenix

What a shame ga. Difficult to legislate for because, surely, the point is that it's a surprise. The participants should, though, have been aware that it could be scary for little ones and kept out of their way as much as possible. Hope he feels better soon.

baubles Thu 01-Nov-12 06:43:58

Poor wee thing, not what anyone would have been expecting in the middle of the afternoon. Could his Mum try turning it into a dressing up game for them both to show him that it is only playing?

Greatnan Thu 01-Nov-12 08:09:52

I was watching Deal or No Deal before my TV packed up (yes, I know, sad isn't it?) and the contestants were wrapped in bandages and covered in grey powder. I found it quite unnerving and in very poor taste.
I think Halloween is one of those things which should have been left in the USA. We used to have a good time on bon-fire night ( even the nuns didn't complain athough we were celebrating the death of a Catholic). We would collect wood for weeks beforehand and have a big fire on the 'croft' which was a cleared bomb site. The mothers would make parkin and treacle toffee and we would roast potatoes round the edge of the fire. All ages took part, the older people having chairs brought out. Nobody could afford much in the way of fireworks, but some of the boys did manage to get hold of 'bangers'.
One thing which would be frowned on today, if not illegal, was the 'nigger troop'. Children would blacken their faces and go from door to door, like trick or treat, singing 'Give us a penny, we'll go away.....'. It was the down market version of carol singing. None of us had ever actually seen a black person - the only person of mixed race was a girl with a Nigerian father and an English mother, and she was treated as some exotic pet. She was never bullied or mistreated in any way.

annodomini Thu 01-Nov-12 08:56:12

Greatnan - Halloween didn't originally come from America. It was exported from Scotland (and Ireland, I think) and came back across the Atlantic in the corrupted form of Trick or Treat. We used to have fun as children - see the Halloween thread for my nostalgic post!

Jodi Thu 01-Nov-12 09:11:11

Yes anno as a child in Scotland after the war we always celebrated Hallowe'en. grin

Mishap Thu 01-Nov-12 11:22:32

Yuk! - hate it all - I would have been furious!

Pumpkin lanterns I can cope with.

What that has to do with All Souls' Day I do not know - round here the day is used to remember those who have died, regardless of one's religious convictions or lack thereof.

Greatnan Thu 01-Nov-12 12:35:59

Here in France it is Remembrance Day so all the shops and businesses are shut. (They will probably be shut tomorrow too, as they usually take the 'pont' and make it a long weekend if a bank holiday falls on a Thursday or Tuesday). As well as remembering the war dead, families takes flowers, usually white chrysanthemums, to the graves of their relatives. It is all very solemn.

It is the trick or treat bit that came over from America that I don't like - my elderly sister,who lives alone, is very nervous about opening the door.

MiceElf Thu 01-Nov-12 12:49:31

Hallowe'en is literally the eve of All Hallows or All Saints which is celebrated on today, November 1st. This is the day when all those who have died, but have been forgotten by name, over the centuries, are remembered. Also all those friends and relatives who have died are brought to mind as well.

grannyactivist Thu 01-Nov-12 13:51:26

WARNING This 'zombie' in particular is what scared my grandson half to death.
If such an event has to be done (!!!!) it should take place after 7pm when toddlers and very young children are less likely to be about.

Barrow Thu 01-Nov-12 13:59:52

Didn't the people taking part move away when they saw they were causing distress to a child? I think I would have taken them to task - so thoughtless, hope the little one recovers quickly

grannyactivist Thu 01-Nov-12 14:08:09

On the contrary, I think they were not in the least concerned. My daughter and son-in-law didn't want to exacerbate the situation with their son by remonstrating with 'zombies' in front of him, but I am about to pen a letter to the organizer spelling out the distress that was caused. angry

MiceElf Thu 01-Nov-12 14:10:26

I see what you mean. That is really horrible. There's all the difference in the world between dressing up and this sort of very realistic horror. I hope you've dipped your pen in acid.