Gransnet forums

AIBU

To find Claudia Winkelman the most irritating woman on TV?

(106 Posts)
Deedaa Mon 12-Nov-12 21:29:51

In 1963 I looked just like Claudia Winkelman - of course I was only 17 at the time! Why does a grown woman with children want to go round looking like an overgrown schoolgirl in a little Dollyrocker dress? Why has no one taken a pair of scissors to that dreadful fringe that she peers through. Why has no one told her that black eyes and white lips hasn't been a good look for 45 years? And WHY does she have to ruin perfectly good programmes with her inane remarks and giggles. I used to love the BBC's film programme - I even managed to put up with Jonathan Ross presenting it- but I only managed half an hour when she took over and I had to switch off before I threw something through the screen. I record the Strictly results show so I can fast forward through her bits and the Strictly- it takes two show is an obvious non starter. angry

Mamie Sun 18-Nov-12 17:42:41

We enjoy Only Connect apart from Victoria Coren, who gets swiftly muted and fast-forwarded when she talks and gets in the way of the competition. We find her contributions annoying and irrelevant. I quite liked Alan Coren, but thought he was irritating at times, as well...

Deedaa Sun 18-Nov-12 17:33:43

I really like Victoria Coren because I enjoy Only Connect so much. Oh the elation in our house if we manage to make a connection before the teams!!On the other hand I'm frequently yelling at the contestants on Eggheads. When they have gone through four rounds with nobody able to answer questions on any of the subjects you have to wonder why they thought entering was a good idea? And why are they always so appalled if they have to answer questions on Arts & Books?

Lilygran Sun 18-Nov-12 12:58:26

I don't care in the least what they look like as long as they are clean and decent - actually, no, I really don't care. What I object to is the puffing up into 'experts' of presenters who can read the auto cue. Most of the time. And the ones who are everlasting on talk shows giving their ill- informed opinions on everything under the sun.

annodomini Sun 18-Nov-12 11:49:13

Now I read it again, I think it means DM met Robert Webb at Cambridge. Silly me. blush

annodomini Sun 18-Nov-12 11:46:09

Mail on Sunday goes overboard and gets in a tangle about when they met - first of all says at Cambridge and then says 2007 - some poor editing there!

crimson Sun 18-Nov-12 11:39:31

I was in a sort of romantic fantasy land there, absent wink!

annodomini Sun 18-Nov-12 11:38:38

Yes, that's the one. I wonder what conversation is like in their household - probably disappointingly mundane! What a fortunate evening it was when I discovered Only Connect!

absentgrana Sun 18-Nov-12 11:35:43

crimson The days of handing in articles are long gone. grin

crimson Sun 18-Nov-12 11:32:55

Is that David Mitchell who writes for the Observer [as does Victoria Coren]? Perhaps they met whilst handing in their articles? How sweet. I think she's the latest 'thinking mans crumpet'; she is certainly incredibly clever. Mind you, she doesn't fall into the category of 'women presenters that I make a point of watching when they're on the telly'. They are Sue Perkins, Lauren Laverne and Lucy Worsley. A mixed bunch, that lot.

Greatnan Sun 18-Nov-12 11:25:27

Sometimes we don't like people and just don't know why - perhaps they touch some unhappy memory of our own earlier years.

annodomini Sun 18-Nov-12 11:17:49

I like Fiona Bruce. She really does seem to take an intelligent interest in the subjects she presents. I also like Sophie Raworth and Kate Silverton. When I read adverse criticisms of younger women in the media, I often have the thought: what if their mums are members of G'net and read these posts? They must surely be really proud of their daughters. I would be.

feetlebaum Sun 18-Nov-12 11:07:13

Sook - I honestly cannot see anything in the least nauseating about Fiona Bruce. She has a tendency to speak with Estuary glottal stops, but that is merely irritating.

Learnergran - I saw The One Show once - it made me so glad I have SKY, as I can always find something to watch that isn't The One Show...

annodomini Sun 18-Nov-12 11:03:48

My reaction to Victoria Coren veers from irritation to finding her quite endearing! She's not a patch on her late father, of course. He was in a class of his own. She has married David Mitchell (one half of Mitchell and Webb) who is a genuinely funny comedian and an interesting columnist - not to be confused with his namesake, author of Cloud Atlas and other novels.

Ana Sun 18-Nov-12 10:23:27

I like Victoria Coren! I think she's funny...grin

Mamie Sun 18-Nov-12 10:10:07

I don't know who Claudia Winkelman is, but I see she was a bridesmaid yesterday to my candidate for the most irritating woman on TV, Victoria Coren (who has married someone else I have never heard of).

Elegran Sun 18-Nov-12 09:40:33

ella46 Miss Piggy lives up the road from you?

JessM Sun 18-Nov-12 09:31:46

oh yes deeda - I am with you there 100%. Hard to be charitable when watching TV or in real life. A kind of reverse-sexism? Instead of feeling critical of women who do not conform to conventional ideas of femininity - we feel critical of women who seem to over-conform. grin

Ella46 Sun 18-Nov-12 09:29:28

She lives up the road from me! grin

Elegran Sun 18-Nov-12 09:22:41

You too can have a fan poster.
Pigga Lisa

absentgrana Sun 18-Nov-12 08:13:55

Nanadog It wasn't Mozart? Was it Chopin, then? The Mona Lisa is a fine looking chap and doesn't really look as if he is moaning at all.

Nanadog Sat 17-Nov-12 21:58:14

That's exactly it ana. I was trying to answer greatnan's question honestly. And then saying that I too can judge perhaps unjustly, as these dim quizzes have me shouting 'why have you entered a quiz show when you think that Mozart painted the Mona Lisa!' grin

Ana Sat 17-Nov-12 21:05:32

But it isn't really judging them, is it Nanadog? We find their TV persona irritating, that's all. Perhaps if we met them in real life we'd feel differently about them, maybe not, but I think we all realise that what we see on TV is not the whole person.

Nanadog Sat 17-Nov-12 20:59:17

I do find some women extremely irritating greatnan but not some of the ones which seem to have irritated other posters.
I think that as I don't really know these people personally then I'm not really in a position to judge them simply from their TV persona.

But I don't suffer fools well, though I'm trying to be less of a intellectual snob. Still I find myself getting annoyed at contestants on quiz programmes who haven't a clue and end up shouting abuse at the TV.

Deedaa Sat 17-Nov-12 20:17:41

The thing that really irritates me is the whole "I'm just a silly little woman so I'll giggle a lot and perhaps you'll all like me" attitude. For heaven's sake it's the twenty first century!!!Why don't people want to appear reasonably intelligent? And it isn't only the women either - most of the current so-called comedians hardly seem to have a brain cell between them.

Ana Sat 17-Nov-12 19:59:59

I wouldn't find anyone irritating for any of your reasons, Jess - not what I term irritating, anyway. It tends to be mannerisms, a particular affectation or vocal pattern that make my hackles rise - and it's just as likely to be a man as a woman. I can't watch Paddy in Emmerdale without absolutely bristling with irritation!