Gransnet forums

AIBU

Will you be donating to Children in Need on Friday, or are you as angry with the BBC as I am?

(117 Posts)
whenim64 Thu 15-Nov-12 11:17:13

I have decided, for the first time, not to donate to Friday's televised Children in Need appeal. Word is spreading that the BBC are anxious about donations plummeting this year, given the current scandals about Savile and Newsnight. This will be a public way to show how we feel about cover-ups and neglect of child safety at the BBC. I don't want children who benefit from donations to lose out, so will be giving to NSPCC and Save the Children instead. Presumably, children's charities will report in due course that donations to them have rocketed as a direct result of a boycott.

bikergran Tue 20-Nov-12 13:24:07

I too still donated...as I wouldn't like the thought that because of some evil person (I know it hasn't all been proved yet! but let's face it)! that the children would miss out.

gramps Mon 19-Nov-12 17:28:54

I have donated to CIN, as I think that the work done by the majority of BEEB employees do a really special job at organizing this event !
As has already been said, there are a lot of smaller Children and Parents charity groups who are in financial straits themselves, and to deprive them of even a small amount could very seriously damage their efforts, thus causing even more unecessary unhappiness!

chadsky Sun 18-Nov-12 12:54:31

I donated to Children In need - because of the fact it is for Children, and a lot of smaller charities get helped. Yes we are all angry at the beeb, and the program was a tad subdued, this year. But we should never forget that in this country there are kids, living in poverty, without beds, or food, being abused, mentally and phyically - but it is our governments - and I don't mean just one party, who have helped this situation along the way, - and rather than getting chrity fatiuge - it seems that the current vision is for us all to take up charitable works tor do something to solve societies problems. - it all needs money, We have to support the children

jO5 Sun 18-Nov-12 09:55:38

Why don't you like it Ariadne? How does it differ, really, from the Lions (or Round Table) that you support?

jO5 Sun 18-Nov-12 09:54:41

It's great to hear that the total so far has exceeded that of last year. Perhaps people were encouraged to give more by the remarks of the 'anti s'. Spite can be a wonderful thing! grin

YankeeGran Sat 17-Nov-12 22:43:27

While I have not read all the posts on this thread (and maybe the point has already been made), I would like to point out that CIN never used the services of Jimmy Saville. I read an interview with someone (name escapes) who was head of the charity at that time who said that they rejected the offer of his services because they felt there was something "not quite right" about him and rather than take a chance and do anything that might taint the charity, they just declined his offers of support. Now THAT is something - esp in view of the pressure that must have been applied and the culture of the times.

harrigran Sat 17-Nov-12 18:12:39

I see the young man that was presenting is in trouble for having a dirty mouth on the radio, just what you need on CIN.

Ariadne Sat 17-Nov-12 18:03:38

I really do not like the whole CiN thing, though I commend the fundraising, and the way that children accept the spirit of helping others.

Mishap Sat 17-Nov-12 15:37:26

To be honest we never watch it - it is always full of "celebrities" who we don't recognise.

We support local fund-raising activities for C in N - this year it was a local fun run between community libraries in the villages. We created a welcome party at the village hall with school children and laid on refreshments for the runners.

nanaej Sat 17-Nov-12 15:04:11

Agree it is looking like a 'tired' format but that is inevitable. needs a Danny Boyle to shake it up!

I am glad it was a successful evening in terms of the donations though as so many deserving causes..

Elegran Sat 17-Nov-12 14:12:16

I'll be looking out for the postman, Soop

soop Sat 17-Nov-12 12:35:41

Elegran...have popped a card in the post. Collection had already gone. You should receive it on Tuesady...smile

Elegran Sat 17-Nov-12 12:27:43

I didn't watch it this year, kitty If it was not "up" to the usual standards, then I did not miss much.

soop Sat 17-Nov-12 12:02:52

Very well done to all those who contributed time, effort, or funds to Children in Need. grin

Hankipanki Sat 17-Nov-12 11:38:50

Well done Children in need another record total. I enjoyed the show and found it heartwarming to see the efforts people went to to raise money for charity. For just one night a year it feels that people pull together to raise money for disadvantaged children whether they are celebrities or just joe public. Good show.

kittylester Sat 17-Nov-12 11:37:53

I thought the entertainment was not 'up' to the usual standard this year Elegran. There seemed to be loads more filling from Terry Wogan who strikes me as being less with it than Brucie these days. The token blondes seemed to be necessary to keep it all together.

Elegran Sat 17-Nov-12 11:16:49

kittylester the standard of the actual entertainment on all the CiN shows is usually pretty dire. For most of those taking part it consists of them coming on-stage in high spirits from all the camaraderie backstage (and possibly from the refreshments) clowning around a bit and exhorting us to give generously.

It is like the talking horse quip - they are not onstage for how well it is done but for doing it at all. No-one expects the horse to say anything spectacular.

annodomini Sat 17-Nov-12 10:58:56

I didn't watch the whole show but recorded it and watched a few items before deleting it. I was moved by the children's choirs singing in unison across the country. There were better things to watch on other channels like a concert in memory of Sir Georg Solti on BBC4.

kittylester Sat 17-Nov-12 10:54:50

hilda, petallus - well said!

Actually, I was disappointed in the entertainment side of last night's CIN although, as always, the films were deeply moving.

merlotgran Sat 17-Nov-12 10:45:43

They raised a record £26.7 million last night. Well done them! grin

petallus Fri 16-Nov-12 22:51:58

Have just made a donation for the first time ever. I give to other charities but have never watched CIN before because can't stand that kind of entertainment.

For the children of course but also unwilling to take the high moral ground with the BBC (or anybody else for that matter)

I sincerely hope the BBC gets itself sorted, withstands attacks from it's enemies and goes from strength to strength.

jO5 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:46:50

This is an appreciation thread isn't it?!

jO5 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:46:31

Team GB were great! grin

jO5 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:22:43

Oh that was rather lovely. Eric and Ernie with Chris Moyles. Brought a lump to my throat. I loved those two. smile

merlotgran Fri 16-Nov-12 21:04:31

We have already donated. The hot air blowing in from mumsnet will not fan any boycotting flames in this house. It's the kids that count.