Gransnet forums

AIBU

Know Thy Stock

(33 Posts)
dorsetpennt Thu 15-Nov-12 14:52:26

Went into my local Waterstones for a browse this morning. I was in the fiction section and came across several books that weren't fiction. ie: Queen Anne by Anne Somerset and New York by Edward Rutherford. So obviously non-fiction, the titles weren't such that you might think they could be fiction. When I pointed this out to a nearby assistant she said 'are you sure?' I showed her the books in question and she still looked puzzled. I don't expect the staff to be experts, or even huge readers like me, but at least know the difference between fiction and non-fiction. After all the people who stack shelves in a supermarket know the difference between chilled and frozen.
Also if someone was looking for those particular books they wouldn't have been able to find them would they? Picture me banging my head on the floor with the sheer frustration of it all,

Nanadog Thu 15-Nov-12 15:15:15

Incredible hmm

JessM Thu 15-Nov-12 15:39:02

Waterstones at one time used to be recruiting Eng Lit graduates. Perhaps they have stopped.
It always winds me up when they muddle in things like astrology with astronomy or faith healing with science-based health books. angry
Far worse that confusing fact with fiction ... well actually it is the same thing isn't it hmm

ayse Thu 15-Nov-12 16:13:30

Went to my local Waterstones recently on a Saturday morning to the children's department in search of some books for my Grandchildren (8,6,2). The assistant was soooo helpful, advising on suitable books for them. They live in Australia and I only see them once a year. I was very happy with the service. Isn't it strange that 2 experiences can be so different?

jO5 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:14:03

Oh, I haven't looked at this thread before. I thought it was about making dinners.

jO5 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:17:03

Do they still have the little notes on the shelves written by various members of staff. "This is my favourite book at the moment. I like it because.......". hmm

nanaej Thu 15-Nov-12 21:47:36

My DD2 worked in Waterstone's during her gap year to help fund her through her course and the senior staff were Eng grads ( she was off to read Eng at Bath) but that as a while back. My experience has always been positive I have to say. The one in Guildford has a useful fish tank that fascinates my DGS2 as I bowse nearby!

merlotgran Thu 15-Nov-12 22:18:02

I've just clicked on this thread because I thought it was about making Chicken soup. confused grin

Hankipanki Thu 15-Nov-12 22:31:02

Yep I thought it was about soup making too.

Notsogrand Thu 15-Nov-12 22:35:29

Me too! I was going to mention doing a chicken carcass in the slow cooker for the first time recently. But I wont now.

bikergran Thu 15-Nov-12 22:37:27

could have been "Knor thy stock " grin

jeni Thu 15-Nov-12 23:00:38

Ouch![pained emoticon]

jeni Thu 15-Nov-12 23:01:31

Have you cleared that with GNHQ as its advertising?smile

Bags Fri 16-Nov-12 06:44:46

I keep thinking this thread is going to be about soup confused. My excuse is that I have been making stock recently grin

Bags Fri 16-Nov-12 06:45:11

And So I know my stock quite well.

JessM Fri 16-Nov-12 07:08:16

would anyone like to come and organise my books? Actually quite proud of myself. Have taken about 20 carrier bags of books to oxfam recently. It is reasonably easy to get rid once the hand has plucked them from the shelf.
But there are a lot left...

Butty Fri 16-Nov-12 07:27:36

If I had to stock books in a supermarket, I think I'd be bored witless so making sure fiction/non-fiction didn't get mixed up would not be top of my list of priorities. wink

JessM Fri 16-Nov-12 07:29:54

I dont think supermarkets worry to much about that do they? Just display the books with the celebs on the front in a prominent positions. job done.

Butty Fri 16-Nov-12 07:33:44

Yep, there you have it, Jess

Elegran Fri 16-Nov-12 07:44:46

I'd have thought no-one would work in a bookshop unless they have an interest in books.

Nanadog Fri 16-Nov-12 08:17:30

Neither would I elegran

Bags Fri 16-Nov-12 09:03:54

You would if you desperately needed a paying job and that was the shop that accepted you.

Bags Fri 16-Nov-12 09:04:49

I'd be like butty and have some fun with it.

Bags Fri 16-Nov-12 09:05:27

Scrape any fragments of fun and madness out of dullness. Good appraoch, methinks.

absentgrana Fri 16-Nov-12 09:05:51

Not quite the same thing, but when Tony Blair's autobiography was published – was it called The Journey? – lots of naughty people visited bookshops all over the country and moved it from the biography section into fiction.