Gransnet forums

AIBU

Know Thy Stock

(34 Posts)
dorsetpennt Thu 15-Nov-12 14:52:26

Went into my local Waterstones for a browse this morning. I was in the fiction section and came across several books that weren't fiction. ie: Queen Anne by Anne Somerset and New York by Edward Rutherford. So obviously non-fiction, the titles weren't such that you might think they could be fiction. When I pointed this out to a nearby assistant she said 'are you sure?' I showed her the books in question and she still looked puzzled. I don't expect the staff to be experts, or even huge readers like me, but at least know the difference between fiction and non-fiction. After all the people who stack shelves in a supermarket know the difference between chilled and frozen.
Also if someone was looking for those particular books they wouldn't have been able to find them would they? Picture me banging my head on the floor with the sheer frustration of it all,

Bags Fri 16-Nov-12 09:10:18

smile

I move bibles in libraries into the fiction section.

Nanadog Fri 16-Nov-12 09:21:14

I've never looked for a bible in a library bags but I would have thought that's where they were anyway. Or perhaps under autobiography?

Bags Fri 16-Nov-12 09:24:27

I don't actually look for them, but sometimes one comes across one, or a book of religious stories, on an open stand (but in the non-fiction area) that one is scanning for something else.

jO5 Fri 16-Nov-12 13:59:27

"autobiography"

grin

jeni Fri 16-Nov-12 15:01:03

I found 'the art of parenthood' in the arts and crafts department of our library.

Ella46 Fri 16-Nov-12 15:39:34

Well, you certainly have to be crafty! grin

jeni Fri 16-Nov-12 16:03:51

True!

Zengran Fri 16-Nov-12 16:43:24

lol !