Gransnet forums

AIBU

The reality of 'savings'

(45 Posts)
Gmajen Wed 21-Nov-12 10:37:22

Strange how our minds only focus occasionally on what is actually happening to our savings. Today I received a statement from my excellent bank (First Direct) concerning a savings account in which I keep £1000. This is held on behalf of a few neighbours and is for unexpected expenses on the joint areas of responsibility. I had no call on it in the last year and so the statement listed the interest received every month for the whole year. The total came to 48p - 4p per month on a thousand pounds!!

jO5 Wed 21-Nov-12 16:40:08

It might be worth anyone's while looking into NS&I guaranteed growth bonds. You would have to leave the money in for a fixed term, but at least the original interest is guaranteed to continue up to maturity.

100% safe too.

artygran Wed 21-Nov-12 16:52:41

The problem at the moment is that the best bond rates are all with foreign banks I have never heard of and would not want to put my money in. No doubt they are safe, but everyone thought the Icelandic banks were safe too! We keep a contingency savings account at the bank but it pays next to nothing (as opposed to our current account which pays nothing!). We have some funds maturing this month and have no idea at the moment where to put them. Might have a look at the above JO5, if they're not too long term.

jO5 Wed 21-Nov-12 17:01:53

Oh no! Just had a look at National Savings site and they have no guaranteed bonds available at the moment unless you are extending ones you currently hold.

Sorry for that false lead.

Seems like the online savings accounts are the best bet after all.

Stansgran Wed 21-Nov-12 18:38:50

Tesco account that gives you one year 3 per cent-just opened it-does post and phone as I am allergic to on line banking-heard too many horror stories

babydavid1 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:03:21

This is the first post ever so please bear me. Have you tried Kingdom Credit Unions savings bank?

Ana Tue 04-Dec-12 22:04:55

No.

jO5 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:38:50

credit unions are ok

jO5 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:41:14

government likes them

Ana Tue 04-Dec-12 22:42:21

I still haven't tried them.

jO5 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:43:23

You posted in August this year babydavid1. Thought I remembered your name. smile

jO5 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:45:01

Scottish

jO5 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:45:17

But that's ok!

Ana Tue 04-Dec-12 22:57:15

Who could forget that name? hmm

babydavid1 Tue 04-Dec-12 23:25:17

My wee poppet

FlicketyB Wed 05-Dec-12 07:57:20

And they do all those special high interest offers that last for the first few months of a savings account and then they plunge to the lowest of low interest rates.

And some institutions insist on finance reviews if you want to put more than a certain amount in a bond or high interest account. We wanted to put a five figure sum into an account with good interest and decided to go along with the finance review because the rate was good. I thought it might be connected with money laundering but it was clearly a selling opportunity, they thought that as we had the money to invest that we did have we might have more elsewhere that they could entice us into investing with them.

Fortunately DH and I are reasonably knowledgeable on financial matters and make our own decisions about how we manage our money without succumbing to the blandishments of the financial factors. However we are not perfect, which is why I have an ISA full of worthless Royal Bank of Scotland shares, bought when I held my current account there and before Fred Goodwin was put in charge.

jO5 Wed 05-Dec-12 09:36:39

babydavid1 The private message from you which I just read says "Is this who I think it is or is it someone whom I don't know".

Are you trying to contact me?

GERALDINE!!! grin

Ana Wed 05-Dec-12 10:22:54

That'll teach you jingl! Does he think you're his 'wee poppet'? confused

artygran Wed 05-Dec-12 13:02:21

We too bought RBS shares, Flickety (DH thought it seemed like a good idea at the time!) and watched them plunge. They have made some recovery, but I reckon it's going to be a long time before they are worth what we paid for them. We actually bought them for our grandson, who is currently five, so we are in it for the long term. Just as well! When they start having to pay for the mis-selling fiasco, I expect the price will go through the floor again. Ho hum!

granjura Wed 05-Dec-12 17:29:11

2.99% on an internet saver at Market Harborough Building Society. Sadly cannot take advantage as we live abroad.