Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tattoos - why?

(37 Posts)
isthisallthereis Wed 21-Nov-12 16:12:25

Why do people do this to themselves:

www.news.com.au/travel/galleries/gallery-e6frflw0-1226519528235

As you can see, it's not just an anchor or a pin-up on a sailor's forearm any more! You'll need a strong stomach, or certainly an enquiring mind, to get through the gallery above.

I don't think they would but I live in fear of one of my two sons coming back looking this way. In the area under clothing, it wouldn't matter but if it's all over your face or hands or even upper chest it's public, it'll affect your employability, people's attitude to you and .......... I think it looks utterly barbaric!

I don't have grandchildren, but my OH does, and the three of them are going through very tough times at the moment (their parents are splitting up, slowly but inevitably). One of the 3 could easily turn up suddenly with "body modifications". I think tattoo parlours aren't supposed to (allowed to?) tattoo anyone under 16 but the DGD will pass for 16 soon enough and is very, very persuasive. And then it'll be permanent, to all intents and purposes.

I know I worry too much but ...... Does anyone like tatoos and "body mods"? Even welcome them? Anyone got any?? smile Your thoughts??

Anne58 Wed 21-Nov-12 16:17:00

Personally I loathe them, although my DS1 has one on his upper arm. I have also noticed that it is often people who really would be better off NOT drawing attention to their bodies that seem to feel an overwhelming urge to decorate them!

Anne58 Wed 21-Nov-12 16:32:31

One of the captions did make me smile

"A girl waits while a tattoo artist works on her body" Really? So she didn't drop it off while she did her shopping and pick it up on the way back? How novel.

london Wed 21-Nov-12 16:44:14

my husband had tattoos and always tried telling the kids never do it .well it didnt work .my 2 daughters and son have them allso now grandchildren .its the fashion now grin

Ana Wed 21-Nov-12 16:47:47

*phoenix& grin
It's like that sign saying 'Ears pierced while you wait'...

isthisallthereis Wed 21-Nov-12 17:05:34

Ana gringringrin

Riverwalk Wed 21-Nov-12 17:12:37

The odd butterfly or flower here can look rather nice, but I couldn't get past the first four of those pics - think it was the 'bumps' rather than the pics!

Just recently in the supermarket queue I was behind a 20-something girl ..... she was very overweight with a muffin top hanging over skin-tight jeggings and as she bent over the trolley her tattoo was visible for all to see - it was right across her lower back just above the buttocks and was obviously Arabic script. I couldn't resist asking her about it ......

.... "it's from the Koran" she replied! grin

york46 Wed 21-Nov-12 17:34:57

I heard of a teenage girl who announced to her mother that she was going to have a tatoo. "Good idea" said the mother (secretly horrified!) "I'll come with you and have one done too". "Don't be silly, Mum, a tatoo will look ridiculous on a middle-aged woman". "I agree", said the Mum, "and one day you'll be a middle-aged woman, too". Nothing more was said and the daughter didn't have the tatoo done!!

york46 Wed 21-Nov-12 17:35:51

Oops - can't spell tattoo!!

Ana Wed 21-Nov-12 17:57:48

grin york

The trouble is, most teenagers don't believe that they'll ever be middle-aged, let alone elderly and wrinkled!

crimson Wed 21-Nov-12 18:01:43

I've always wanted a small 'Dessie' tattoo, ever since I was in the Desert Orchid Fan Club. I so adored him in those days [still do]. Would be horrified if my kids had one done, and I've no desire to have a tattoo of anything else [maybe Syd]. Other than my kids Des and Syd were the great loves of my life.

absentgrana Wed 21-Nov-12 18:09:51

My mother was horrified when I turned up, aged 17, with pierced ears. I wasn't pleased when quite young absentdaughter turned up with a pierced tongue (although she still maintains that the puréed smoked fish, broccoli and mashed potato I served her that night was one of the nicest meals she's ever had. It certainly was a very pretty colour.) She's had tattoos since – damn it she lives in New Zealand and is married to a man with Maori ancestry – and has probably had more piercings. I don't know; I don't care. It's her body. I still have pierced ears. That's it. What is the problem?

Anne58 Wed 21-Nov-12 18:27:35

I was going to post a link here, but have decided against it in case it would break the rules. (I don't want to be banned or sent to the naughty step or be made to do compulsory flower arranging, community ironing or whatever is the GN equivalent of a dishonourable discharge [doesn't that phrase sound yuk?] or jankers)

Any way, you can look it up yourself if you put Puff the Magic Dragon Tattoo into Google. (Other search engines are available)

To get the full effect you have to see it from various angles. I believe a piercing was also involved.

london Wed 21-Nov-12 18:36:53

phoenix a carnt be bothered to do that so just type want you want to say a dont mined .but like a said my famild have tattoos and they are good people i havnt got any smile but never say never x

Ana Wed 21-Nov-12 18:42:08

I'll do it, phoenix - Don't Look if you are easily offended by men's private parts! Warning...

www.egeekbme.com/images/dragon/

All I can say is - Bloody Hell!

Anne58 Wed 21-Nov-12 18:47:20

Ana you rebel you! You just don't care do you?! You know that HQ may be watching, and just thinking of a suitable punishment!

"Honest Cari, it wasn't me, some other girls did it while I wasn't looking"

london Wed 21-Nov-12 18:48:09

ana i just looked smile nice colours .must of been pain full grin

Anne58 Wed 21-Nov-12 18:48:12

Still, you have to admit it's one hell of a piece of art work!

Ana Wed 21-Nov-12 18:51:12

GNHQ are probably AGOG! grin

Anne58 Wed 21-Nov-12 18:55:19

Is that an acronym, Ana ? All Going On Google (to look for more)

Nelliemoser Wed 21-Nov-12 19:10:26

I don't like Tattoos and feel thought I was quite prudish but I think that is quite lovely piece of art. I do wonder if it is a real tattoo or just painted. I cannot imagine the pain involved.
What has come over me?

Ariadne Wed 21-Nov-12 19:14:44

OMG! For once, lost for words...

Barrow Wed 21-Nov-12 19:15:42

I don't like tattoos but I had a friend who started with a celtic circle around her arm and a butterfly on her shoulder. She then got another tattoo for every year she survived her cancer - she managed another 3. She was always trying to talk me into having one

tanglerose Wed 21-Nov-12 19:20:05

how odd he hasn't gpt any hair - should think the removal of that was more painful than the tattoo!

Ella46 Wed 21-Nov-12 19:27:36

It's the piercing that would make your eyes water! (If you were a man of course, grin )