Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tattoos - why?

(38 Posts)
isthisallthereis Wed 21-Nov-12 16:12:25

Why do people do this to themselves:

www.news.com.au/travel/galleries/gallery-e6frflw0-1226519528235

As you can see, it's not just an anchor or a pin-up on a sailor's forearm any more! You'll need a strong stomach, or certainly an enquiring mind, to get through the gallery above.

I don't think they would but I live in fear of one of my two sons coming back looking this way. In the area under clothing, it wouldn't matter but if it's all over your face or hands or even upper chest it's public, it'll affect your employability, people's attitude to you and .......... I think it looks utterly barbaric!

I don't have grandchildren, but my OH does, and the three of them are going through very tough times at the moment (their parents are splitting up, slowly but inevitably). One of the 3 could easily turn up suddenly with "body modifications". I think tattoo parlours aren't supposed to (allowed to?) tattoo anyone under 16 but the DGD will pass for 16 soon enough and is very, very persuasive. And then it'll be permanent, to all intents and purposes.

I know I worry too much but ...... Does anyone like tatoos and "body mods"? Even welcome them? Anyone got any?? smile Your thoughts??

Anne58 Wed 21-Nov-12 19:28:55

Do you know, tangle I hadn't thought of that!

"back, sack and crack, sir? I'll just warm me spatula"

janeainsworth Wed 21-Nov-12 19:33:14

Tattoos are so last year.
Get this

Nelliemoser Wed 21-Nov-12 19:34:23

Is that piercing a "Prince Albert"? (This is art we are discussing here GNHQ!)

annodomini Wed 21-Nov-12 19:38:04

No comment... grin

Anne58 Wed 21-Nov-12 19:39:40

jane YUK!

Nellie I belive there are various forms of the Prince Albert piercing, but yes, I definitely think that one falls within the definition!

Nonu Wed 21-Nov-12 20:01:15

JaNE , OH DEAR !!!

Will they come to regret ?

Faye Wed 21-Nov-12 21:09:09

At least check if the tattooist can spell

Deedaa Wed 21-Nov-12 22:02:50

Really don't like big coloured tattoos but that is something else!!! Actually the saving grace is that it could all be covered with clothes. I can never understand men and WOMEN!!! who have their chests and arms covered with multi coloured patterns that clash with all known forms of clothing.

Ana Wed 21-Nov-12 22:11:20

Oh, Faye! Those misspellings....
'Your' instead of 'You're' seems to be popular! hmm

sussexpoet Fri 07-Dec-12 17:06:30

Hello, Phoenix et al. I've just looked at the link and the tattooist's work is amazing. And I can't help admiring the young guy wearing it - he must have been really stoical about the pain involved. (I bet it's fun watching him undress)
And, yes, I have a couple of small tattoos myself, done when I was about forty - I'd always fancied being tattooed and suddenly realised that there was nothing to stop me. By the way, I'm a performance poet and find that my poem based on the experience is one of the most popular items in my repertoire.

Goose Tue 11-Dec-12 21:56:17

Yep, I'm with you on this sussexpoet! I designed my first shoulder tattoo and had it done when I was in my late 50's and then had another small one on my wrist last year! Always wanted to have a couple of small ones (not the big all inked in sort). To me it was like cocking a snoot at the world and saying 'I'm a big girl now, and as long as I'm not hurting anyone else, I can do what I want'!

glammanana Wed 12-Dec-12 11:22:54

When DS2 had a tattoo on the inside of his arm he decided on some chinese symbols,his best friend is chinese and he also had the same on his arm,when he came home and mr.g asked what it said he said Long Life do you like it,very good son says mr.g. better make sure you pop down and see chinese friends grandma and make sure it does not say "---- head" all taken in good fun but I would have rather he did not have it done,he has however gone on to have others but they are not bad really.Still not fond of them but each to their own and some look very tasteful,I often wonder how a rose on a tummy would look after being 9mths pregnant does it go back to original size in time. grin