Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect couriers to show a bit of sense?

(28 Posts)
jeni Thu 22-Nov-12 17:59:43

I've just come home, with a gale going on and torrential rain, to find a dissolved cardboard box on my doorstep that had originally contained a jacket ordered from M&S.
the rest of the items were nowhere to be seen. I then had to phone M&S who told me that the rest had been dispatched by a different courier!confused
Why on earth couldn't the courier have put it in a plastic bag or redilivered when I was home.
Fortunately the jacket was in a plastic bag.

merlotgran Fri 23-Nov-12 23:07:11

Another thing that p***es me off makes me angry is when a firm asks you to allow up to 21 days for delivery so you think it's safe to go shopping the next day. You come home to find a card shoved through the letter box saying they were unable to deliver.

trendygran Fri 23-Nov-12 23:01:44

At least most couriers mentioned did manage to deliver,even if not very cleverly. I have ordered from a certain catalogue. (clue -Linda Bellingham) and they just cannot seem to find where I live. If my home was in the sticks I could understand it, but it is just off a very busy main road and well signed. Twice the items have been returned,by them, because ,quote, they
are "UNABLE TO DELIVER" .The tracking record also contradicted itself----admitted by the firm during one of several phone calls.
Needless to say I
shall not be ordering from them again. All other online purchases have been delivered promptly with no problem.
Maybe Santa should leave the useless courier a Satnav!

Mishap Fri 23-Nov-12 17:18:36

I am sitting here as I write waiting for Parcelforce to ring me back and explain why they are holding a parcel (on which I paid for next day delivery on Weds) on the grounds that they"cannot locate the premises."
OK - so they have had a problem - so why not let the sender know so they can contact us to sort it out? The tracking site says that they are just going to hold it at the depot - till when I wonder?!

grannyactivist Fri 23-Nov-12 12:16:57

I'm fortunate that my house has an enclosed porch and the door is barely visible from the road. The majority of parcels are delivered on time and unless a signature is required the couriers are happy to leave things in the porch. The only exception has been YODEL deliveries which I would avoid like the plague. You can 'track' your delivery, which is fine if the record is a truthful one, but in my case the delivery driver TWICE wrote on the tracker system that he was unable to deliver a parcel and had left a card, when in fact I was home (the second time with the front door permanently left wide open throughout the morning) and received NO card.

jeni Fri 23-Nov-12 11:56:37

We all have the same postcode. My cleaner intercepted the postie who was bypassing my house asking 'no post for*?' He sheepishly gave it her,he hadn't realised my house was here and was going to deliver it to the old git!

merlotgran Fri 23-Nov-12 11:25:45

Barrow. Sharing a post code is so annoying isn't it?

I leave instructions for the driver, in the little box provided, along the lines of, We are on the right at the top of the lane, the bungalow is set back from the entrance, four large pine trees in the front garden and the name of the farm on a wooden plaque.

So they drive straight past us and leave the parcel at one of a pair of semi-detached cottages, no trees, no name and just because we have the same post code angry

vampirequeen Fri 23-Nov-12 11:08:03

I was supposed to get a parcel yesterday. When I looked it up on the website it showed that it had been delivered and signed for by the driver!!!
No idea where he delivered it but it certainly wasn't here.

Barrow Fri 23-Nov-12 09:34:39

I am always having problems with couriers. I live in a lane and there are three houses with similar names - I live at * cottage, across the road is * lodge and next to that is The Old * house. All the houses have clear house name plates yet if a courier follows a sat nav using a post code (we all have the same post code) then everything gets left a * lodge. They are often away for several weeks at a time so parcels could be in the open for several days before they are found

annodomini Fri 23-Nov-12 09:26:28

Mostly the couriers who deliver to me are thoughtful and leave the parcels either in my small plastic greenhouse or in a big green chest where I keep garden stuff by the back door. Lands End got an earful when a parcel was left on the front doorstep for all the world to see and it hasn't happened since. They usually manage to find a neighbour for 'signed for' packages.

whenim64 Fri 23-Nov-12 09:09:39

A few weeks ago I opened the door to find a delivery man had wheeled a massive, muddy tyre up my path, and said to me 'this is for no. 3, can I leave it with you?' He bumped it up onto my step before I could find the words to replace 'no, you effing well can't!'

Why he thought he could park it on my carpet I don't comprehend. He wheeled it away, muttering things about me.

NannaB Fri 23-Nov-12 08:23:10

This maybe one of the things I actually miss about working - being able to have parcels delivered to the office. From early morning till early evening there was always someone to accept them.

bikergran Fri 23-Nov-12 08:06:50

re- parcels being brought to my house when neighbours are not in! the girl next door is lovely,but! after having taken parcels in for her..they then seemed to be coming thick n fast, poor DH kept having to get up to answer door and take parcels in,,in fact is was getting almost 2 parcels every other day! then I always had to take the parcles round to hers, so after 3 parcels arrived in one day I thought that it was taking the P* a little as they werent even knocking on next door they were coming straight to ours! also it seemed word had got round that "oh them nice people at number ? will take them in! hmm..so I have had to put a stop to it as it was really getting a nuisance. ( we are stlll waiting for "Our " Parcel to arrive lol (prob gone next door! smile

Bez Fri 23-Nov-12 07:08:15

If we had Parcelforce deliver to our house they oftenarrived early morning - about 7-30 and simply put a card through the door without knocking and then we had to wait 24 hours!!! And drive about 8 miles to an industrial estate to collect the parcel. It was no good asking for a re- delivery becaus they did the same thing.

harrigran Thu 22-Nov-12 22:56:11

I bought a case of very expensive red wine from a very well known wine merchant in St James, they promised to deliver but failed to inform me that the rest of the freight was wet fish in containers with ice which thawed all over cardboard and wine labels angry

crimson Thu 22-Nov-12 20:14:27

Maybe we could have another dustbin to go with the rubbish/green/bottles ones? I know all the thieves would know it's for deliveries but they're going to nick it off the doorstep anyway if they've a mind to.

jeni Thu 22-Nov-12 20:12:08

The Hermes lot are ok and know me! I know they carry plastic sacks for days like today! I don't know who this was delivered by as the cardboard was just a pile of papier mâché

Marelli Thu 22-Nov-12 19:44:36

The courier who 'delivered' my parcel was a 'Hermes' delivery driver....hmm!

merlotgran Thu 22-Nov-12 19:42:08

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks they are mindless, lazy, lying b*****ds. Our village PO won't hand a parcel over if I don't produce the dratted card that's supposed to have been put through our door saying we're out when actually we are very much in. I try to keep the hysteria out of my voice as I say, 'I haven't got a card because THEY HAVEN'T BEEN TO MY HOUSE' angry The bloke behind the counter knows who I am but won't hand anything over because it's 'procedure'...Bloody jobsworth!

Mishap Thu 22-Nov-12 19:28:27

Couriers' satnavs take them to the wrong house if they tap in our postcode - they leave stuff there anyway in spite of the fact that the other house has a completely different name to ours - mindless!

gracesmum Thu 22-Nov-12 19:28:05

In answer to OP jeni - Yes!smile
I find Hermes both sensible and considerate. I have a largish lidded box by the front door (out of sight until you actually get to the door) where my Riverford veg box gets left and parcels which do not require a signature can also be left there. Seems to work (so far) It helps when you can give instructions when ordering (White Company are good that way). If you are not boycotting Amazon (!) I have seen a collection point/lockers at our local Staples for Amazon purchases, a good idea for people who are out at work all day.

jeni Thu 22-Nov-12 19:18:29

Old git next door refuses to take parcels in for me!
Couple of weeks ago I found a note put through the door to say they had left a parcel in -----__ the rubbish bin! Fortunately it wasn't collection day,

Ana Thu 22-Nov-12 18:57:05

Good thinking, merlot. They seem to be pretty good round here - only last week I found a parcel I was expecting in my recycling box (which is outside the back door). No note, though - it could have been there for ages...hmm

merlotgran Thu 22-Nov-12 18:53:08

We have problems with Parcelforce who refuse to drive down the farm road. Can't understand why because other couriers as well as Tesco and Sainsbury don't seem to mind. They leave any packages at our local PO and then post us a card to say where it is. I then have to drive two miles to get it. angry Whenever I order anything I try and find out who the courier is so I can avoid Parcelforce but firms tend to use more than one and they don't seem to know who they are.

Last week, Home Shopping (whoever they are) drove past our place and left a pair of boots at the next farm down the road. When I phoned to find out where the parcel was I was told it had been left in our front porch. We haven't got one hmm. I drove to the house where I guessed it had been delivered. It was there alright. It had been opened and although the mother drives past our house every morning she didn't seem to think 'dropping it off' was her job. There's neighbourly for you. angry

I think I'll have everything delivered to my daughter's house this Christmas. It's the same distance as the PO and at least I know the stuff will be safe.

Marelli Thu 22-Nov-12 18:33:37

I waited in for an item that was to be delivered by courier. When it didn't arrive I contacted the company who, in turn, contacted the delivery driver. He informed them that he had left the parcel with a man who had signed for it confused! My parcel was discovered in the vestibule of the house next door - my neighbour nearly fell over it!

FlicketyB Thu 22-Nov-12 18:26:38

I too am getting fed up with couriers. I have returned home from holiday to find courier packages on the doorstep, no idea how long they have been there. They are not meant to do that but the cheaper ones do. Better ones want a signature so cant get away with it.