Gransnet forums

AIBU

To question the appointment of Lord Hall as DG of the BBC?

(14 Posts)
isthisallthereis Sat 24-Nov-12 00:29:23

phoenix but were you pale, male and stale? Pre-requisites for the job! grin

Anne58 Fri 23-Nov-12 23:31:03

I would have applied, as I've been looking for a job since March, but it didn't come up on any of my job search sites, not even DirectGov.

I think you might have to "know someone who knows someone" , if you get my drift.

By the way, some interesting changes to the job seeking site on DirectGov, but this is not the thread for them.

Hunt Fri 23-Nov-12 23:26:32

They had already interviewed him for the job last time around and apparently it has saved oodles of money.

Sel Fri 23-Nov-12 13:45:16

ooops again, riverwalk's name missed from post above - do have to watch my typing!

Sel Fri 23-Nov-12 13:43:50

j05 brilliant gringrin..ooops, notice gave it three grins so here's another grin - loved it.

isthisallthereis Fri 23-Nov-12 13:01:44

He seems a good appointment but the system of "a quiet word" between the chaps appalls me. Isn't it illegal? If it isn't it should be angry

absentgrana Fri 23-Nov-12 11:08:45

Surely not vampirequeen grin

vampirequeen Fri 23-Nov-12 10:42:02

Old boy network?

absentgrana Fri 23-Nov-12 10:33:21

Riverwalk It is difficult to understand how Lord Hall became chief exec of the Royal Opera House (or a bigwig at the Royal Ballet School) when his background since the 1970s has been broadcasting, particularly television news. At least he has now returned to a medium in which he is broadly experienced. However, I have no idea on what basis he became a baron.

It is equally difficult to understand how Chris Patten managed to become all the things he did and is.

jO5 Fri 23-Nov-12 10:20:36

good Matt cartoon today

jO5 Thu 22-Nov-12 19:26:06

Shhhh ! wink

Riverwalk Thu 22-Nov-12 19:17:34

grin grin grin JO5

jO5 Thu 22-Nov-12 19:10:08

Have you seen his twitter account #

shock

Riverwalk Thu 22-Nov-12 18:57:35

Are any of these plum, publicly-funded, positions put out to tender, so to speak?

Hall is currently chief exec of the Royal Opera House - how did he get that job?

He's just been hired by Lord Patten, Chairman of the BBC Trust and a failed MP who was made Governor of Hong Kong, who then became a bigwig at Oxford University.

And whilst I'm on my high horse - what a smooth transition for archbishop Rowan Williams to leave his calling to become Master of Magdalene College, Cambridge. What does that job entail? Who pays his salary? Was the job advertised?

It's jobs for the boys/the establishment.

Jobs .... sounds so vulgar!