Gransnet forums

AIBU

The pregnancy

(90 Posts)
bluebell Mon 03-Dec-12 16:44:57

AIBU to think I can't hack the next eight months or however long it is

jO5 Wed 05-Dec-12 13:38:26

What kind of nurses do they employ in posh private hospitals! Didn't sound anything like the Queen. hmm

crimson Wed 05-Dec-12 13:41:27

Shouldn't give out patient info even to a family member.

soop Wed 05-Dec-12 13:44:41

UN BEE LIEV ABLE. I stared to laugh from the moment "the Queen" said, Hi there...this antic is going to finish up as one of Matt's clever cartoons in the Daily Telegraph.

Lilygran Wed 05-Dec-12 13:50:42

Hoax callers posing as the Queen, Prince Philip AND THE CORGIS????

merlotgran Wed 05-Dec-12 14:35:00

I can't wait to see what HIGNFY do with it on Friday. grin

vampirequeen Wed 05-Dec-12 15:55:04

Lilygran...I do not resent their wealth and status. I resent the suggestion though.

Faye Wed 05-Dec-12 16:06:11

Audio of prank call, scroll down

vampirequeen Wed 05-Dec-12 17:25:32

That was fantastic lol

absentgrana Wed 05-Dec-12 17:29:24

crimson True, but if the family member really had been the Queen, it would have been quite difficult for the nurse to refuse to tell her anything.

Faye While I am no advocate of forelock tugging, that article seemed a bit abrupt referring to the Duchess as "Middleton". Kate would have been okay.

Faye Thu 06-Dec-12 00:06:20

I was wondering how much lower the nurse could bow to someone she thought was the Queen. The Queen wouldn't have phoned Reception. Really, are people in so much awe of the Queen they lose their brains. confused

The Australian is a very right wing newspaper, one I normally wouldn't bother to read, I just googled to find the audio tape. It all sounds so uncouth, the way the DJs speak, the reference to Kate (I can't refer to her as the Duchess of Cambridge). But I had to laugh at the very bad Queen's accent, the corgis and the bit with Charles in the background and the silly nurse using her best phone voice. smile

Greatnan Thu 06-Dec-12 08:01:23

Having heard the clip of the call, one can only assume that the nurse is an idiot.
Why is it that if anyone dares to say they don't support a monarchy they are accused of being jealous?
I do like the idea of an hereditary head of state simply because the alternative is so horrible - imagine Cherie Blair as First Lady! However, I understand and respect the views of those who feel differently, so less of the personal attacks, please. VQ is entitled to her sincerely held opinion.

absentgrana Thu 06-Dec-12 08:12:35

Greatnan You see to have fallen into the trap of assuming that an elected head of state in the UK would inevitably be along the lines of the American model and involve a president with political power. I should have thought the Irish model would be far more likely, leaving the role of Prime Minister unchanged.

Lilygran Thu 06-Dec-12 08:48:30

Greatnan there are lots of good arguments against having a hereditary monarchy and lots of good arguments in favour of a republic. What I said (and stand by it) is that if the only argument you put forward is to complain that the royals are parasites, too rich and too privileged, it sounds like envy. vq says she doesn't envy them and I must believe her in spite of the impression her comments make.

absentgrana Thu 06-Dec-12 08:53:39

Lilygran Surely immense wealth and privilege by right of birth is unfair – and then to expect respect, nay adoration on top is patently absurd. There is surely something risible about the queen recently issuing new instructions about who must curtsey to whom – in the 21st century.

Greatnan Thu 06-Dec-12 08:56:42

Absent - yes, my fears were of a long drawn out, very expensive campaign to get somebody elected in order to feather their own nest, and the nests of their mates in big business. If there were a better way of finding a Head of State, I could be convinced.
I have to say I think the Queen has done a good job for sixty years, with just a wobble re Diana. I don't think it is realistic to expect the Royals to be 'like us' - I believe the Queen Mother (whom I disliked intensely) once saw an ironing board on a visit to some peasant and asked what it was.
Charles appears to be petulant and spoilt but William and Harry seem as normal as it is possible for them to be.
I know the list of hangers-on has been pared down but I think there are some minor relatives still living in grace and favour homes. Do we need all the cousins and second cousins now the core Royal family is so well established?

annodomini Thu 06-Dec-12 09:00:27

It was very clear to me that the person who answered the phone was not English and probably had no knowledge of the protocol.

Greatnan Thu 06-Dec-12 09:08:24

Some retraining clearly required - not least about not giving out confidential patient information.

Ana Thu 06-Dec-12 09:32:03

You would have thought that would be one of the first things that would be impressed upon staff.

vampirequeen Thu 06-Dec-12 09:52:10

I never said 'too riched and too privileged'. I don't care how rich or privileged they are as long as I don't have to pay anything towards their upkeep and they pay taxes like the rest of us. That would be all taxes not those they choose to pay or those their accountants can find loopholes out of.

absentgrana Thu 06-Dec-12 09:59:57

I have just had a bizarre thought. I have just posted about the queen's list of curtseying protocol. When she is on her own (i.e. not with her husband), the Duchess of Cambridge has to curtsey to those of the blood royal (as well as to the Queen and Duchess of Cornwall to whom she has to curtsey whether William is with her or not). This includes the York Princesses and the Princess Royal (though I suspect not her offspring although they are as much of the blood royal as Fat Andy's girls). When the Cambridge sprog is born (assuming that all goes to plan after this unfortunate start), will she have to curtsey to it unless its father is present?

I'd add a grin emoticon at the preposterousness of this idea but they aren't working at the moment.

Lilygran Thu 06-Dec-12 10:13:15

The thought that passed through my mind when I heard the recording of the phone call was that if English isn't your first language, it's much more difficult to pick up on accents and imitations. I'm still astonished that the nurse gave out such detailed information. Whenever I've rung to find out about a friend or relative the information I've been given is extremely bland and formulaic.

Riverwalk Thu 06-Dec-12 11:08:59

I don't think the unfortunate nurse will be sent to The Tower - the queen once spent 15 minutes talking to a radio hoaxer thinking he was the Canadian prime minister!

absentgrana Thu 06-Dec-12 12:01:30

I think I just saw a newsflash saying the the Duchess has left the hospital, if any one is interested.

Deedaa Thu 06-Dec-12 21:58:35

Having sailed through two pregnancies with only an inability to drink tea to worry about I do feel sorry for the poor girl looking forward to months of press ( I won't necessarily say public ) interest in every twinge. I should imagine that at the moment she would happily curl up in a corner and not come out till it's over.

absentgrana Fri 07-Dec-12 08:02:57

Deeda She's not exactly a girl – not that that is a reason not to feel sorry for her.