Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think onesies should not be worn by anyone over a year old?

(38 Posts)
minette Tue 04-Dec-12 15:46:37

There was a piece in the Mail not long ago http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2225971/Onesies-Would-YOU-dare-wear-romper-suit-gown-ups.html and everywhere I go Christmas shopping there they seem to be. Can't imagine my DH giving in to this trend but I did see Superman and teddy bear type onesies for men flying off the shelves in Primark. I can't think of anything that would turn me off more (well - I probably can but you know what I mean)

harrigran Tue 04-Dec-12 15:52:35

I think they are ideal garments, just been out and bought two. sorry YABU.

Marelli Tue 04-Dec-12 15:54:08

I bought my adult DGD a onesie from Primark last year (a zebra one)! She loved it and asked for another one this year, but not a fleecy one as it made her too hot.
I can't imagine what DH would look like in one....well, actually I can...shock!

Mishap Tue 04-Dec-12 15:55:04

WEll - they wouold be a bit of a challenge I would think, both for nights of passion and for urgent loo trips in the night!

Marelli Tue 04-Dec-12 16:00:53

I suppose they're a bit like the old combinations - they had a button-flap in the back blush

FlicketyB Tue 04-Dec-12 16:04:04

I think they are hideous.

Barrow Tue 04-Dec-12 16:07:07

I had assumed these were to be worn around the house - could help with the heating bills! Other than that I certainly wouldn't wear one!

Movedalot Tue 04-Dec-12 16:24:21

They are for wearing to festivals! You don't sleep in them. I think they are great fun for the right people at the right time and they make me smile. smile

Ana Tue 04-Dec-12 16:34:15

I saw a photo of Louis Walsh wearing one. It didn't make me smile...hmm
grin

annodomini Tue 04-Dec-12 16:41:12

But then, Ana, would any picture of Louis Walsh bring a smile to your face?

crimson Tue 04-Dec-12 16:41:59

Is she the one who wants [at the age of 54] to have a baby?

jO5 Tue 04-Dec-12 16:44:29

I would say four years old.

Ana Tue 04-Dec-12 16:44:32

No, Louis Walsh is a man, crimson! You're thinking of Denise Welch.

Anne58 Tue 04-Dec-12 16:46:48

crimson that would indeed be newsworthy, as I think Louis Walsh is a male judge on strictly, but I'm not really up to date with celebs.

Re. the question in the thread title: Only by consenting adults and behind closed doors.

Marelli Tue 04-Dec-12 16:58:32

Oh crimson grin - that was funny - it really made me laugh! gringrin

absentgrana Tue 04-Dec-12 17:06:47

minette YANBU. They are completely hideous garments and there is not even anything remotely amusing about them. The only people for whom they would be right is extremely ugly, very childish men or women with poor taste, shapeless bodies and no mirrors in their homes.

annodomini Tue 04-Dec-12 17:07:15

phoenix - not Strictly but X-Factor. He's the one with the unconvincing hair transplant - or maybe it's a rug. Am almost embarrassed to display such knowledge. blush
Onesies? for festivals? with wellies? Ah well, trends come and go. I prefer not to be seen in a giant babygro but then I don't go to festivals.

crimson Tue 04-Dec-12 17:09:00

Seemed like the sort of thing she'd wear blush. What's a man doing wearing one? In fact [I've just googled them] what's anyone doing wearing them??

Nelliemoser Tue 04-Dec-12 17:21:13

No way. Reasons
(a) I am shapeless enough as it is.
(b) I wouldn't be seen dead outside dressed like that.
(c) You would have to take the whole thing off to have a pee.
(d) My relatives would never go out with me.
(e) I do not want to look like Andy Pandy.

I have two pairs of fleecy pyjamas. If it gets any colder they will do me fine thank you! They worked just fine during the winters of 09/10 and 10/11.

absentgrana Tue 04-Dec-12 17:25:26

Nelliemoser I went to a fancy dress party many years ago. I was dressed as Looby Lu and my then boyfriend was dressed as Andy Pandy in a thing very like a onesie. Apart from the embarrassment of driving through London in an open top sports car in these ridiculous outfits, we discovered your reservation (c). Every time he wanted a pee, I had to unstitch the back of his costume and then stitch him back into again. That relationship was never destined to go far – and it didn't.

Movedalot Tue 04-Dec-12 17:38:06

We saw some young people wearing them collecting for comic relief and I thought they were most appropriate. Don't be stick in the muds no one is suggesting that we should wear them! grin

Crimson have you been on the shandy again?! [smile}

FlicketyB Tue 04-Dec-12 18:39:50

Collecting for Comic Relief is acceptable. In the far distant past I and some friends walked round Newcastle in our dressing gowns and slippers in daylight to collect money for Rag Week. Onsies come in at the same level. Laughable.

Learnergran Tue 04-Dec-12 18:40:18

Yes, YABU! Yes, I am a woman of no taste, and yes, I am a woman of no shape. And this thing, in a fetching fleece, is my garment of choice. I am warm and I am comfortable and it just doesn't get better than that. Mind you, I wouldn't answer the door bell grin

absentgrana Tue 04-Dec-12 18:43:05

So onesies are okay in private, with the curtains drawn, the blinds down and only in the presence of consenting adults. I could agree that – but my cats would go completely nuts.

kittylester Tue 04-Dec-12 21:16:53

They might just be acceptable in the Grotto.