Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think onesies should not be worn by anyone over a year old?

(39 Posts)
minette Tue 04-Dec-12 15:46:37

There was a piece in the Mail not long ago http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2225971/Onesies-Would-YOU-dare-wear-romper-suit-gown-ups.html and everywhere I go Christmas shopping there they seem to be. Can't imagine my DH giving in to this trend but I did see Superman and teddy bear type onesies for men flying off the shelves in Primark. I can't think of anything that would turn me off more (well - I probably can but you know what I mean)

DazR Tue 04-Dec-12 21:36:02

They are fun and practical at university. My daughters have been warm when ousted from their beds by the dreaded fire-alarm (which happens all too often). They have also worn the 'themed' onesies when out nightclubbing which I feel is much more acceptable than a lot of the clothes you normally see on the street late at night in university cities.

Anne58 Tue 04-Dec-12 21:50:20

Ummm, interesting point DazR , there are lots of people (mainly, but not exclusively, women) whose attire shows far more flesh than they ought to, I think I may have said before that it is usually the young women who wear the cropped tops and low slung jeans that are the ones who should really cover up!

Sel Wed 05-Dec-12 10:28:56

I really had no interest in these but following Absent's blistering sales pitch, I'm going to check 'em out!! grin

NanaNel Wed 05-Dec-12 11:03:30

Have bought DS1 one for Christmas. A very tasteful one looking like a tracksuit. He'll probably wear it out of the house. He has been seen in Sainsburys wearing Superman lounge pants.shock

absentgrana Wed 05-Dec-12 11:17:58

Sel Please do go the whole hog and post a photograph of yourself perhaps wearing a tiger-striped onesie.

Maniac Wed 05-Dec-12 11:42:25

At recent NW meetup Sewsilver showed us a Onesie she had just bought as a present for GD I think.Staying overnight at DDs house my 12yr-old Gd was prancing around in her new Onesie.
On return home I dug out a photo of me in 1984 wearing a garment we then called a jumpsuit.. I've posted on my profile and e-mailed to my GD.
She replied 'He-ee.granny you look great in your Onesie'.
I was 53 at the time!!

Sel Wed 05-Dec-12 12:06:14

absent give me time. You've obviously picked up on my feline proclivities ...purrr smile

whenim64 Wed 05-Dec-12 12:06:39

Oh, yes! You're right Maniac. I had a flying suit made of cotton that was all-in-one - it was mid-80s after Top Gun had been so popular.

absentgrana Wed 05-Dec-12 12:50:23

Did jumpsuits and flying suits, which I don't remember as fashion items with any clarity, have feet? I'm pretty sure that they didn't have tails.

feetlebaum Wed 05-Dec-12 13:23:49

As Dustin Gee used to say of his stage outfit - "It's called a jump suit... I don't know why - there's only room in it for one...'

Nelliemoser Wed 05-Dec-12 17:07:30

These things sound like a reinvention of the wartime siren suits, as worn by Winston Churchill.

absentgrana Wed 05-Dec-12 17:17:36

Well that's certainly a recommendation Nelliemoser. Are the cigar and two-fingered salute optional? grin

granjura Wed 05-Dec-12 20:34:53

We bought a tartan 'babygrow' for our daughter when she was in very cold digs when studying at Aston Uni. She loved it - and we called it 'her contraceptive pyjama'! When she finished her Degree, we went to stay in a lovely cottage in the Cotswolds with OH and my parents. The lovely elderly lady looked at our 23 year old daughter, sitting in the dog basket with our dog, in her 'onesie' and asked 'so Claire, have you done your O'levels yet" and she replied 'Yes, I've just finished my Masters'. So cute smile