Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think immigration is a major threat to this country?

(197 Posts)
Sel Sun 09-Dec-12 11:08:15

I have just been reading in the Sunday Times about the potential situation this country will face in 2014. Restrictions on Bulgarian and Romanian immigrants will be lifted; after Luxembourg, we have the most generous benefit system in the EU with no requirement to have contributed to the pot prior to claiming. Makes the UK a bit of a magnet, I would think to the truely impoverished of Romania and Bulgaria.

POGS Wed 12-Dec-12 21:03:00

Granjura

I don't know anything about Switzerland so I hope you don't mind me asking.I do not ask out of sarcasm, just interested.

It's not in the E.U. so does Switzerland have to find housing, provide free health care, pay benefits etc, as Britain does for all EU citizens.

Does Switzerland even have free health care, free education and provide benefits similar to Britain.

Does Switzerland keep expanding housing wise to accommodate the influx of migrants if it is a small country like ours but with an even bigger proportion of immigrants.

I was surprised by the level of immigration to Sweden so it is good for us to maybe think how others deal with immigration.

Sel Wed 12-Dec-12 21:08:11

Lyndie, POGS, totally agree. I am tired of all the lessons in multi-culturalism. It's not the issue. Oh and I am flattered to likened to DM.

Ana Wed 12-Dec-12 21:18:22

Yes - I agree Sel. And I can't understand why Debora Meadon raises so many hackles (unless it's the initials...wink)

POGS Wed 12-Dec-12 21:20:20

Ana

smile

granjura Wed 12-Dec-12 21:41:04

POGS - although Switzerland is not part of the EU, it has signed many bi-lateral agreements with the EU. So they have to open doors to all EU immigrants, and soon Romania and Bulgaria too. There is no council housing, but all new housing has to include a % of so called affordable housing. There is NO NHS, and everybody HAS TO get health insurance - but if you can't afford it and are in receipt of social help, it gets paid for you by the State. Education is definitely free, and excellent in general.

A very very different situation- but I made the point to indicate that the UK is NOT the European country with the most immigration and certainly not the one with the least space to expand into.

Sel Wed 12-Dec-12 21:44:18

Ana - on my phone so smiley faces beyond me - very funny. I did actually think that when I typed it. Funny how I can virtually feel the spittle at any mention of the daily mail and yet no one reads it.

Ana Wed 12-Dec-12 21:48:29

Oh, they do - but only online, and only to pick out the outrageous 'non-stories' that confirm what a ghastly rag it is! grin

POGS Wed 12-Dec-12 21:52:26

granjura

Thanks. I have only been to Switzerland once, when I was about 10 years old. Once seen never forgotten, beautiful.

whenim64 Wed 12-Dec-12 22:11:35

Sel if you read back on this and other threads you will see that quite a few of us have said we read the DM. Have you been a DM journalist yourself? grin Fact keeps changing when you intepret others' posts. Get a grip, girl! grin

Sel Wed 12-Dec-12 22:14:25

when outed! Have spanx on so gripping no problem.

POGS Wed 12-Dec-12 22:17:05

Sel

Are you my favourite 'Quentin'

Ana Wed 12-Dec-12 22:24:13

Ooh, I hope so! grin
(but doubt it....)

whenim64 Wed 12-Dec-12 22:30:46

Sel grin

Sel Wed 12-Dec-12 23:53:11

POGS that's just a lure isn't it....Quentin?? I love him grin The best sketch writer around. His theatre reviews are pretty good too, we normally agree grin

jopa Thu 13-Dec-12 00:55:24

Well it does seem the Government are trying, belatedly, to do something to stem the tide. If you read the results from the latest census, the reality of Labour's open door policy is fairly obvious. Nothing to do with welcoming potential new votes I suppose confused

Sel Thu 13-Dec-12 08:54:36

Hmmmmm Stephen Glover in DM is saying much the same [spooky musicon]

granjura Thu 13-Dec-12 10:09:29

This thread has just turned into a silly farce (without the fun of it) so best left alone as far as I am concerned hmm

POGS Thu 13-Dec-12 13:28:28

That's a shame.

I remember a very serious thread ending up talking about chickens, it just happens, as I am sure we have all observed. confused

Sel Thu 13-Dec-12 14:02:50

POGS you're been told, now stop it grin

Jodi Thu 13-Dec-12 20:00:41

Oh... the thread police are back hmm

Jodi Thu 13-Dec-12 20:02:09

That was not aimed at pogs or sel