AIBU

America massacre

(62 Posts)
jeni Fri 14-Dec-12 23:12:51

I've only just learnt about this !
I'm horror struck!
How can anybody do this?

Riverwalk Sat 15-Dec-12 15:02:58

Assuming 99.9% of us are not US citizens, what use is this petition?

whenim64 Sat 15-Dec-12 15:07:57

Signed and shared on Facebook. This is an international call for the USA to impose tighter restrictions on gun ownership. They often tell warring countries and terrorists that the world is watching what they will do to reduce the numbers of innocent citizens being killed, so maybe they will take some notice when the world is watching them?

whenim64 Sat 15-Dec-12 15:14:06

Here's the petition. Link below:

No more school shootings -- gun control now!

27 people killed at an elementary school shooting. 20 children among the dead. It's happened before and it will happen again. But we can stop it if enough of us demand that our leaders enact meaningful gun control now.

It won't happen unless we push them. President Obama’s spokesperson just said, “Today is not the day to talk about gun laws.” Let's tell him that it is! Because just yesterday, a state legislature voted to allow gun owners to bring concealed weapons to school. Because on Monday and every day after that, our children have to go to school and we need them to be safe. We can’t continue to sit by while this madness cycles on repeat.

When the news came, like millions of parents across the country, I fought the urge to rush to my daughter’s school and take her back to the safety of our home. It’s not an irrational thought. Columbine, Virigina Tech, Colorado. The truth is, America’s children are no longer safe because our government officials allow the gun lobby to get away with murder. Lax rules and the absence of crucial regulation have let guns loose in our society, permitting almost anyone with an axe to grind to get his hands on automatic weapons. In Connecticut, the site of the latest shooting, you don’t even need a permit to walk into a gun store and buy a rifle. Putting all of us at risk.

Please call on President Obama and all of our representatives to enact real control now.

If we reach 1,000 signers in the next few hours, family and friends of people affected by gun violence will deliver our message to President Obama at the White House. Today is the day. No more gun violence.

www.avaaz.org/en/petition/No_more_school_shootings_gun_control_now/?tqlPscb

Avaaz.org is a 16-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 13 countries on 6 continents

Gally Sat 15-Dec-12 15:22:17

Signed and shared the link

crimson Sat 15-Dec-12 15:54:15

Petition signed; sometimes the will of the people as a whole can bring about change. The United States has to be shamed into doing something this time. Even if an action may not do any good it's no reason not to at least try; apathy never won battles that needed to be fought.

granjura Sat 15-Dec-12 16:02:07

Signed too.

Marelli Sat 15-Dec-12 16:03:05

Signed and shared on Facebook.

jeni Sat 15-Dec-12 16:14:36

Signed

Ella46 Sat 15-Dec-12 17:06:15

Signed and shared on fb

jeni Sat 15-Dec-12 17:07:24

I've just heard that its normal. In the USA for 5 year olds to be drilled in procedures for shooters in their schools. What sort of world do we live in?

whenim64 Sat 15-Dec-12 17:20:58

That shocks me jeni. Children shoud not have to be exposed to the idea of weapons threatening their young lives. I could understand the need for weapons to warn off wild animals in the days when pioneers were opening up the west, or even to kill wild animals for food, but there's no excuse now, and why a teacher woud have guns in her home is beyond my comprehension.

Mishap Sat 15-Dec-12 17:23:30

Signed - not sure it will get us anywhere, but at least we are trying!

Ariadne Sat 15-Dec-12 17:23:32

Signed!

Butty Sat 15-Dec-12 18:33:19

Riverwalk
Some grandparents who are not US citizens have grandchildren who are - and who live not a million miles away from this latest tragedy. I'm one. Signing the petition IS worthwhile for all.

Bags Sat 15-Dec-12 18:45:56

Done and shared. Come on, Americans, for shame! You cannot allow this to happen again and again and call yourselves a civilised nation.

whenim64 Sat 15-Dec-12 19:15:02

Progress! More than 100,000 Americans have petitioned the White House in the last 15 hours, calling for gun control laws to be put through urgently.

Faye Sat 15-Dec-12 19:19:53

There were 22 children and an adult hurt in China on Friday by a knife wielding man. If he had used a gun there would have possibly been many children killed. Children attacked in China

I often check Avaaz and add my name to their petitions Here is the Avaaz.org link again.

tanith Sat 15-Dec-12 19:23:49

I've signed and shared , I'd like to think it may sway things but I doubt it.

crimson Sat 15-Dec-12 19:26:08

I feel that humanity acting as a whole can change things. Gaia [?]. Dare I ask the question that is 'has a woman ever been responsible for attacks of this kind'?

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 19:56:35

Well done wheniam64!!! let us know what happens.....

annodomini Sat 15-Dec-12 20:34:57

I always get Avaaz links on my Facebook page, so I must have signed multitudes of petitions!

johanna Sat 15-Dec-12 20:48:38

crimson in answer to your question women are much much worse.
And far too intelligent to cause a bloodbath consisting of strangers.

Women will take revenge on/with their own blood. Have done so for centuries I'm afraid.
I can go from the Bible to Greek Mythology to phoenixe's post the other day when her " darling " mother told her that she was deluded to think she was the only daughter. When women want revenge we can be masters of cruelty or worse.

whenim64 Sat 15-Dec-12 21:04:32

What a jaundiced view you have of women johanna. Having worked with women who have committed very serious offences, i haven't found many of the kind you describe. There are women who can be nasty, but I wouldn't see them as any better or worse than men, and women are in the minority when it comes to serial or mass killing.

Ana Sat 15-Dec-12 21:07:43

You're probably right, johanna, but although women can be devastatingly hurtful, and will sometimes even kill their own children when either mentally ill or bent on some sort of twisted revenge on a partner, they very rarely go on killing sprees of this nature.

johanna Sat 15-Dec-12 21:21:02

when and ana
That is exactly what I said in my post.