Gransnet forums

AIBU

I am so cross!

(28 Posts)
Ariadne Tue 18-Dec-12 19:59:13

This is not a great issue, and it will pass, but I need to share it with people who will understand.

I have an arthritic knee which sometimes is really painful. Theseus is awaiting a hip replacement and is often in a lot of pain, and I think I offer lots of sympathy, comfort, and try to ease it. (Halo emoticon)

BUT, just now, I was going up our curved staircase and grabbed a bannister as the knee twinges. The bannister thingy came out of its moorings and I landed on the * knee.

Himself comes out to see what's happened, picks up the bannister thingy, frowns, tuts, puts it back and walks off. "Thanks for the sympathy," say I.

"Oh, are you OK?" says he, disappearing off to the TV. I went off to my bath, and am now back in the sitting room, quietly seething. Aaaagggghhhhh!

janey Fri 21-Dec-12 12:41:26

Having just read your original posting Ariadne it reminded me of something my
DD said a while ago. She had hurt herself(cant remember how) and shouted
in pain. Her OH didnt come running and she said to me that shows how things change when youve been together for while.
They have only been together 7years so what hope do the rest of us have??
Merry Xmas everyone.

Ariadne Fri 21-Dec-12 06:48:00

Ylil I just read your other post, and I can see that you'd understand. But this was a minor thing compared with what you are going through! But yes, the general consensus is just that - men are different. Bless them. Mostly.

Ylil Thu 20-Dec-12 20:04:56

Sounds like my husband, men are so different to us.

Mishap Thu 20-Dec-12 19:44:26

I have had a seethe today too - we should have a seething thread!!

Deedaa Thu 20-Dec-12 17:26:12

When I had my knee replacements we were told that the hip replacement is an easier operation to recover from. Certainly all the hip people seemed to be about a day ahead of the knee people, which is quite a difference over a five day stay in hospital.

Ariadne Thu 20-Dec-12 10:17:45

Thank you! There's nothing like a good seethe when you have someone (lots of someones) to share it with!

He's having all the pre op assessment stuff today, and visiting the physio dept. too to assess, what he'll need afterwards. So any tips gratefully received. Me - I'm out for lunch, to which I shall take a taxi, and from which DSiL will pick me up. Yay! (Have had 16 year old DGD staying.)

kittylester Thu 20-Dec-12 07:23:02

You seethe whenever you like Ariadne.

Bags Thu 20-Dec-12 06:08:37

I read that first as a good 'settee', anno!

Seething on the settee. Anyone feel a verse coming on?

annodomini Wed 19-Dec-12 23:14:40

A good seethe can be cathartic, Ariadne. grin

Nanado Wed 19-Dec-12 23:00:35

Poor Nellie hope you will be ok?
Ariadne I like the way you put that 'I mostly feel very safe and loved' smile

Ariadne Wed 19-Dec-12 22:18:33

I think he got the message quite quickly, and was very contrite. We have seen one another through one or two serious medical issues, and we recalled these last night. I think it just hit a nerve (in more ways than one!)

Anyway, all is well, but thank you for your reassurance, that it is all quite normal male behaviour. I mostly feel very safe and loved with him, now that I've stopped seething.

But I reserve the right to seethe when necessary! xxx

annodomini Wed 19-Dec-12 21:32:23

Ouch, Nellie! A bruised thigh muscle is painful and can last some time. Have you got some arnica cream/gel? hmm

Nelliemoser Wed 19-Dec-12 21:02:04

ariadne I have just had a similar experience. I went out in the dark to my garden shed, (I've been doing this for 23 yrs its on a safe path,) but I tripped and fell flat over a broken fence panel that had fallen onto the ground, from where lazy DH had just propped it up against the house wall.

I shouted a very rude word as I really hurt myself. I think my thigh is just bruised or I wouldn't be able to walk at all, but the muscle hurts when I walk. I was hobbling thorugh the kitchen and "ouching"! Did I get any sympathy? not one how are you Nellie?

Nanado Tue 18-Dec-12 22:03:47

Yes, it's a man thing but I'd have whacked him with the thingme too. Poor you. If your knee is still bad tomorrow tell he'll have to fend for himself tomorrow. Put your feet up and relax.

numberplease Tue 18-Dec-12 21:24:41

I know exactly what you mean Ariadne, but it`s a male trait, my hubby is just the same.

Butty Tue 18-Dec-12 21:11:28

Ariadne Hope you're no longer seething, and have a comfortable night! moon

Anne58 Tue 18-Dec-12 20:59:19

They are odd beings, Ariadne I'm still not sure if it's nature or nurture.

merlotgran Tue 18-Dec-12 20:53:57

Remind him that he'll need you in full going order when he has his hip replaced, Ariadne. It's a long recovery period.....you'll have him at your mercy grin

annodomini Tue 18-Dec-12 20:49:34

Ariadne, it's a male thing. I had one like that but he had few redeeming features. I assume Theseus has some and it would be best to focus on those - when you've stopped seething, of course.

annodomini Tue 18-Dec-12 20:49:16

Ariadne, it's a male thing. I had one like that but he had few redeeming features. I assume Theseus has some and it would be best to focus on those - when you've stopped seething, of course.

london Tue 18-Dec-12 20:15:22

a didn,t no if i should say my knee is killing .roll on 2nd of jan my injection day hopefully x Ariadne flowers

petallus Tue 18-Dec-12 20:10:26

I'd be seething too.

In fact, I often do seethe in similar situations.

Sometimes I have a polymyalgia flare up and can't sleep because of aches and pains. If I mention this, himself will say 'you should go to the doctor' or, more likely, 'I know you think I'm just saying this but my hip is hurting me today'.

Bags Tue 18-Dec-12 20:09:43

Oh dear! Sympathy, ariadne! When you've stopped seething, perhaps you could mention that a little sympathy from him wouldn't have gone amiss? Hope the knee isn't bad now.

london Tue 18-Dec-12 20:07:35

bluebell smile

bluebell Tue 18-Dec-12 20:04:04

You should have hit him with the bannister thingy!