Gransnet forums

AIBU

parking!!

(37 Posts)
ninathenana Fri 18-Jan-13 13:54:00

Just left asda. Some nice young, very slim guy took pity on me and reversed my car out of the space as the way the inconsiderate moron who parked next to me was at such an angel that his rear wheel was in my space and my middle aged spread meant I couldn't get in the drivers seat grin grin

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 14:00:07

He was a very nice young man nina smile its the BMW drivers that park over two spaces that get my goat... yes always top of the range BMW's, ( shock just as well I proof read this post, what I nearly posted would have come across as racist) always white cars, why is that.

Sel Fri 18-Jan-13 14:04:04

glassortwo stop with the anti BMW comments - I've got one and park most considerately - you should have the Toyota Landcruisers in your sights grin

Lilygran Fri 18-Jan-13 14:04:46

Four wheel drives as well. I innocently remarked to DS that it was astonishing people who could afford such expensive cars couldn't park properly. He said they deliberately park in the middle of two spaces because the car is a bit big for the usual space and they want to avoid getting bumped!

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 14:06:32

sel its not white is it grin

Sel Fri 18-Jan-13 14:09:35

grin no...black!

gillybob Fri 18-Jan-13 14:10:48

Which Asda was it ninathenana I am popping there later this afternoon and might just try and get myself jammed in a bit and............. fingers crossed,who knows? grin

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 14:20:11

sel Thats ok then grin

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 14:20:46

8gillybob* you behave shock you will get talked about!

Sel Fri 18-Jan-13 15:00:32

glass phew grin (got a personal plate tho...that get's up some peoples' noses no end)

Sel Fri 18-Jan-13 15:01:04

See how good I was with my apostrophy there?

Ariadne Fri 18-Jan-13 15:04:06

DH has a personal plate too - it was a long held ambition and he is so pleased with it! OK if you don't mind the hassle every time you change the car!

Sel Fri 18-Jan-13 15:20:43

Ariadne I seem to remember the dealership doing that. Mine is a fuuny plate rather than a 'personal' one (in my defence!) I used to know a chap with a coach firm, he always had personal plates on the coaches so that the customers wouldn't realise how old they were - the coaches, not the customers smile

Ariadne Fri 18-Jan-13 15:39:27

Sel grin

Gally Fri 18-Jan-13 15:53:33

I don't think it's just Beemer drivers who park like that. Sadly I often see drivers of a certain age blush drive into a space and abandon ship at an angle often taking up more than one space, thus making it impossible for the car alongside to reverse out easily. It's sheer laziness and inconsideration for other drivers. I have been known to leave a very stern note on the windscreen of the offending driver's car hmm

Lilygran Fri 18-Jan-13 16:26:28

Talking of lithe young men - I parked too close to a rather nice sports car a few weeks ago (I didn't realise I had until I got back to the car. The car the other side was over the line). The other driver got back the same time as me and I offered to go first so he could open his door. 'No worries' he said and went in through the passenger door, over the gear lever and hand brake and into the driver's seat. How I wish I could do that!

ninathenana Fri 18-Jan-13 16:44:29

Gally I wanted to leave a note but DH (non-driver) wouldn't let me smile
Lilygran I've had to do the gearstick scramble before but there was not much more space on passenger side.

gracesmum Fri 18-Jan-13 19:13:00

Oh dear, since moving to the country 28 years ago I have become rubbish at parking. When we lived in London I could do a brilliant parallel park in the tiniest of spaces (it was either that or lug the shopping and the babies from the next street) but since we came here if a space looks a bit tight - I just drive on to another.blush
Also I think the lines in car parks are drawn closer together than they used to be. Has Bart Simpson been at them perhaps? grin

Nelliemoser Fri 18-Jan-13 20:26:11

A dilemma is if the car in one bay at the side of you is at an angle and the one on the other side is straight, and the spaces are not very wide, who do you line up with!

gracesmum Fri 18-Jan-13 21:17:20

You see- that's when I drive on and find another space grin

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 22:15:14

I'm rubbish at parking and reversing. Mind you at only 3000 miles in 3 years its hardly surprising!
Fortunately as I have a blue badge I get a large parking space. My car has some form of auto parking but I've never used it!

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 22:18:05

I have always been good at parking even 7 ton wagons, much to DH annoyance as he cant, but this car I have now must have a curved side strange to park always on the conk.

nanaej Fri 18-Jan-13 22:43:36

Why don't they have 6 special spaces in car parks for big 4 wheel drive/SUVs and not allow them to box me in park near small Ford Fiestas and the like. My number plate was personalised for a while..EJ57.... but now I am 62! just coincidence when I bought the car..I chose it from the cars I could afford in the showroom because of the numberplate.

My crazy SiL has a top of the range BMW but only drives it if he knows he can park away from the liklihood of being scratced by other parkers!

annodomini Fri 18-Jan-13 22:51:24

I am quite good at parallel parking. It's avoiding pillars in multi-storey car parks that seems to be the difficulty, as the scruffy state of my Yaris shows.

Anne58 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:59:30

I have noticed that some supermarket parking spaces are so narrow that it's impossible to get a trolley between 2 parked cars, you have to go to the end of the row and approach from behind!