Gransnet forums

AIBU

to feel despair at the gay marriage vote

(461 Posts)
petallus Tue 05-Feb-13 20:52:32

Maybe Christians feel that something which to them is sacred and special and very particular in it's rules (the marriage service) is diminished if it is changed and broadened out into something else.

For them, something with strong traditional meaning may be lost.

I can understand that though I am not a Christian myself.

petallus Tue 05-Feb-13 20:49:01

Nothing really, it just popped into my head.

Well, there's usually a finite supply of any commodity.

Also, maybe it's about something being valued more if it has rarity value.

Thinking it through, if a friend gave me a lovely gift, say a ring, and I was feeling all pleased and special, and then she told me she had bought up a job lot and distributed them amongst all her friends, well that would take something away from my initial pleasure.

Bags Tue 05-Feb-13 20:44:41

That's not as silly as it might sound. However, I am wondering what the running outnof cookies idea is about? What did you mean?

Bags Tue 05-Feb-13 20:43:31

petallus, bake some more.

Galen Tue 05-Feb-13 20:42:35

I do not agree with it!

petallus Tue 05-Feb-13 20:41:08

I like Joanne Harris but what happens if you run out of cookies?

Ariadne Tue 05-Feb-13 20:39:02

But mollie we each have our own beliefs and ideas, and we will argue our corners, just as you do. We need different views and opinions if debates are not to become one sided. When we feel strongly about something, surely it is best to have voices from all sides? So stay and be a voice!

Bags Tue 05-Feb-13 20:29:39

Joanne Harris put it well.
I give a cookie to Mr and Mrs A. I give a cookie to Mr and Mr B. That cookie does not take the cookie away from Mr and Mrs A.

Something like that. Spot on.

Ana Tue 05-Feb-13 20:28:47

I'm certainly not ecstatic. But I'm not entering the debate.

petallus Tue 05-Feb-13 20:16:44

I wouldn't do that. There are probably plenty of GNetters who agree with you who are not posting.

mollie65 Tue 05-Feb-13 20:14:26

so I will sign off permanently
cannot find common ground with those who are so ecstatic about this undermining of a foundation of our society.