Gransnet forums

AIBU

SIL !!!

(26 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 23-Feb-13 10:01:57

DD and SIL have recently bought 52" (yes that's right) screen TV with surround sound 3D and heavens knows what else.
SIL bought Skyfall DVD and invited DH and I for a movie night. I took nibbles and drinks. DGCx2 tucked up in bed, lights off and we settle down for the evening.
10mins into the film SIL starts snoring!!!! And continues to do so all the way through.
Rude don't you think? He didn't even wake up as we were leaving!

FlicketyB Sat 23-Feb-13 10:07:16

Why didn't DiL wake him up?

FlicketyB Sat 23-Feb-13 10:09:06

Sorry, mean DD.

grannyactivist Sat 23-Feb-13 10:09:26

Not really nina. My husband has managed to sleep through every single Shrek film; including those times we've watched at the cinema. My father in law too, often sleeps through films. What they both have in common is that they're extremely hard-working and rarely sit down to relax.
I must say that if I were your daughter I would probably have woken sleeping beauty up as guests were leaving! grin Try not to take it personally - I expect he's exhausted through having had to work to pay for the equipment. wink

ninathenana Sat 23-Feb-13 10:15:02

grin grin GA
Pointless trying to wake him. He sleeps like the dead smile

annodomini Sat 23-Feb-13 11:04:58

I have slept through various films - mostly children's animations - so why could I not manage to drop off during the truly dire Smurfs movie? The GC would certainly wake me up if there was the slightest suspicion of a snore. grin

Movedalot Sat 23-Feb-13 11:13:19

I may be the obly person ever to sleep through Star Wars grin I don't ever fall asleep at home in front of the TV but DH always does but doesn't usually snore.

We once had a dinner party (remember them?) and one of the men fell asleep at the table. His wife said he always did it!

Our 11 month old GS was lying on his Dad who had fallen asleep on the sofa and was snoring loudly. Every time he snored little boy followed with the same sound, it was very funny grin

JessM Sat 23-Feb-13 11:21:17

Well I don't suppose he either fell asleep on purpose or snored on purpose. So "rude" might be a tad unreasonable grin

Galen Sat 23-Feb-13 11:44:41

I suspect I might snore through sky fall. I rarely watch a film all in one go. In fact I rarely watch a film. I still have hotel marigold and the kings speech to watch.
I find GN much more interesting. grin

Movedalot Sat 23-Feb-13 12:12:56

Galen watch them, they are both very good. Enjoy

Tegan Sat 23-Feb-13 12:13:24

Saw Skyfall last night. Have to admit to being a tad disappointed with it [overhyped perhaps?] although enjoyed it more than most Bond films [not my cupatea generally]. When I was a child my Uncle Sam used to visit us sometimes. He would always walk in, sit on the sofa, nod off, wake up and go home. One of the enduring memories of my childhood. I'm afrAId that, these days I always tend to nod off when I sit down in the evening; usually half way through something that I really want to watch sad.

gracesmum Sat 23-Feb-13 14:12:45

I think it's rather nice that you were not considered guests, but being family you all felt at ease. No? I too can fall asleep anywhere - asleep in the waiting room waiting for DH to have his ultrasound yesterday afternoon, fall asleep regularly in front of the TV, even know to struggle to keep my eyes open while teaching (grin) when showing the little dears a video!! And the number of times I have nodded off during the last episode of something really important....... blush

Deedaa Sat 23-Feb-13 14:39:10

I think my grandson has got used to falling asleep halfway through any DVD we watch together. He used to wake me up but now he doesn't bother.
I got into an awful habit of sleeping through evening lectures when I was at college. Just sitting down in the lecture theatre was enough to send me off and I wasn't even really tired!

glammanana Sat 23-Feb-13 15:18:52

My three DCs have a bet between them as to the nearest minute they can guess when mr.glamma nods off after Sunday lunch or any lunch really when we are all together it's his party piece,never fails usually about 10mins after he has left the table and gone to sit on the sofa. zzzzzzz

annodomini Sat 23-Feb-13 15:23:14

gracesmum, I did fall asleep in front of a class of A level students in an FE college. Admittedly they were doing a piece of writing for me and the chair was unusually comfortable. They found it quite entertaining. When I was doing my Dip Ed in Edinburgh, we were in a tutorial with the professor when suddenly another student said 'shhhh' and there was the prof snoozing quietly while we expounded. We sat quietly for a few minutes while he dozed until he perked up and said, 'Now, where were we?'
While I was on the local council, I found that the best way not to drop off in committee was to chair it, though sometimes even that was a bit of a battle.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 23-Feb-13 19:09:31

We have several photos of DGS a a tender age asleep on chest of sleeping DSIL on trains in various places. DH also sleeps through films (which is why we watch them on DVD rather than live TV) and has been known to fall asleep while a guest at a dinner party - fortunately not while at the table, as falling into the soup makes such a mess.

Faye Sun 24-Feb-13 01:41:46

If my mother fell asleep during the day or while watching television would still have her eyes open. Many people had been having a conversation with her then realised she was asleep. smile

Joan Sun 24-Feb-13 02:25:51

When I was doing French on an evening at uni (in my 50s) we were studying 'Waiting for Godot' in French, ie the language it was written in. The lecturer, a boring old fart at the best of times, put the film on. One by one we all nodded off. I held out as long as I could, but boredom and tiredness, and the sheer effort of following the French put me to sleep. The lecturer had to waken us all up to go home.

Sometimes you just can't help it.

By the way, I think Godot was Samuel Becket's joke on theatre-goers. I had to pretend otherwise to pass my exam, but I still feel the same. Perhaps it could be marketed as an insomnia cure.

Bags Sun 24-Feb-13 08:08:44

It's not rude to fall asleep. It's usually because one's tired. Pity about the snoring though. Was it loud enough to spoil your enjoyment of the film?

I'm the same, galen, re films. DH occasionally persuades me to watch one and I sometimes enjoy them, but once in a while is plenty.

kittylester Sun 24-Feb-13 08:30:24

My brother visited mum last week and suggested she went to the loo before he took her down to lunch. When she had not reappeared after 20 minutes he went to check only to find her sitting on the loo, fast asleep and snoring.

Gally Sun 24-Feb-13 09:04:49

I went through a phase of dropping off at the dinner table around 10.30'ish. Usually out with friends, I would be aware of the conversation going on around me, but just couldn't keep my eyes open. I would hear someone saying, "there she goes again" and about 20 minutes later I'd perk up and join in as if never leaving the conversation blush. I'm over it now thankfully - eat earlier and go home to my bed by 11 grin

Hunt Sun 24-Feb-13 10:03:25

when my DM fell asleep when we were all together she would say,as she woke up, ''I'm not asleep, I'm just resting my eyes''.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 24-Feb-13 18:38:25

Faye, your post reminds me of my Latin teacher who said that she didn't mind if we went to sleep during her lessons but she did expect us to keep a bright, intelligent look on our faces while we did so. It's a useful skill but can lead to awkward moments if one is asked a question, whether in a Latin lesson or at a dinner party. blush

fillygumbo Mon 25-Feb-13 22:49:10

I think some men really cant help it. My dh and I once saw an awful play in Jersey there was a cast of about 8 and an audience of about 8 so it all felt surreal, the play was very boring and dh husband began to snore, he would wake after a dig in the ribs then go straight off again, very em barrassing

annodomini Mon 25-Feb-13 23:00:03

Joan, thank goodness someone else feels the same way about Godot as I do. wink