Gransnet forums

AIBU

Just heard from DD......

(98 Posts)
j08 Sun 24-Mar-13 17:38:48

that they will not be bringing the grandsons here on Easter Sunday as they are going to a hard boiled egg competition in the local park.

They have come here, and had a lovely Easter Day, (egg hunt in the garden, outing in the afternoon) since the older one was born. And now they are not coming because of a local authority painted egg thing in a poxy Outer London park!

It's not as though they never do anything locally. Only this weekend they have gone to drama/football Saturday morning, then straight on to a cub sleepover, and now older one going swimming with youth club.

She proposed coming here on Easter Monday, but it's not the same. They don't need to do everything that's going. I think she is in danger of making them selfish.

I have said, no Easter Sunday visit, no Easter eggs.

sad

Sook Mon 25-Mar-13 21:10:40

glass I felt exactly the same when I was expecting my 2nd but the minute he was born I fell totally in love with him.

glassortwo Mon 25-Mar-13 20:36:57

I think if I am being truthfull I felt a smidgin of this when I was expecting my 2nd I wondered if I could love a second baby as much as the 1st, it was worrying but I didnt need to have worried.

gracesmum Mon 25-Mar-13 20:19:04

Oh I am glad I am not alone in this - I was almost afraid to admit it!

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 19:45:08

GS1 reached his little arm out to me when he heard my voice. (Grandad was holding him) At about a week old.

I had GS2's first real smile.

soppy smile

annodomini Mon 25-Mar-13 19:36:10

Why is it that I had a more immediate rapport with the three boys than I had with the two girls? I have a great relationship with the GDs now. Maybe little girls are more inscrutable. GS1 revealed himself to me immediately the day he was born. I somehow 'knew' he had a sense of humour - and he is now the family joker.

grannyactivist Mon 25-Mar-13 19:01:43

I suspect the immediate bond I felt for both of my grandsons is the result of being present at their births. At six weeks the little one has yet to reveal his personality and I'm so looking forward to getting to know him. My three year old grandson has oodles of character and as Tegan has also mentioned, both the boys had a look of my own children so there was a sort of instant recognition.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 18:53:00

I was the same. Was more needed with the first and so had more time to fall completely head over heels in love. Adore the second one now though. Well, both of them smile #canyoutell

Tegan Mon 25-Mar-13 18:45:08

gracesmum; I desperately wanted a grandaughter with my second grandchild [as it was, at the time, almost certain to be my last grandchild]. It took me ages to feel the same way about the second boy that I did about the first [I'd spent so much time looking after the eldest for the first few years as well and spent much less time with the second one]. The S.O. always tells me that the first grandchild is always special in some way, and I think he's right. I think, as well, that they needed me more with the first one and by the time they had the second they were more of a self contained family unit. I now love seeing the two boys play together although they are quite different in character [one is very edgy and quirky, the other much more laid back and technical]. This may sound strange as well but the eldest looked very much like my children when they were young, whereas I didn't 'recognise' the younger one when I first saw him.

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 18:39:40

That's exactly how I feel. I wasn't at all sure I wanted to be a gran. But now! Well!

gracesmum Mon 25-Mar-13 18:30:22

I wonder if like me, Galen you are wondering if you could possibly love a second GC as much as the first?
It took me a little longer to love little fellow's little bro as much as his bigger brother, because I had to get to know him and felt I should give my time to the bigger boy in case he got jealous - he was little more than a baby himself at the time.
For me the visceral (?) love thing which hit me when number 1 was born was quite a shock so I was more prepared for no 2 - I do love him every bit as much now but those first weeks/months with no 1 were unique.
I feel I should now run for cover after my confession!!!

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:21:43

Oh! Birthdays are an excuse (if you need one) for exciting retail therapy. Enjoy 'em. grin

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 17:21:27

And with Frank in mind, more expense!grin (tongue in cheek)

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 17:20:31

ANOTHER BIRTHDAY to remember! I almost forgot DDs on Wednesday!

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:13:11

Why wouldn't you?

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 17:11:30

I think I'm looking forward to another grandchild?

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:08:50

No. Best keep quiet about that. Poor daughter. Sounds rotten.

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 16:23:27

Jing tell that to her! She's sick all the time and feels nauseous and extremely fatigued! Last time she got pubic symphysis problems as well. I had that with both of mine and with her (the second) I couldn't walk at all. I haven't pointed that out to her.

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 16:20:02

To be fair, they're trying to pack the house up as well as they have to out of it by week Wednesday. The new house has not completed yet, searches etc still going on,so their moving in with his parents as its closer to their work than I am.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 16:18:02

Yes! She's not exactly ill is she! smile

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 16:17:30

In about 7months probably!grin

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 16:14:25

Well, that was nice for you anyway Galen. Hope daughter gets well again soon.

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 16:06:25

Neither she has extreme fatigue of early pregnancy, exacerbated by insomniac 21month dd.

Elegran Mon 25-Mar-13 15:58:57

Was that cardiac arrest, Galen, or was she having a lie-down in a nice quiet secluded police cell?

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 15:47:38

Well I drove to see my DGD yesterday and had 3 1/2 lovely hours with her while mummy had arrest!

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 15:34:00

Oh, that's a shame Maniac. sad Could you bribe him with a nice big Easter egg? (go to any lengths me hmm)