Gransnet forums

AIBU

Margaret Thatcher

(278 Posts)
Eleanorre Tue 09-Apr-13 17:23:11

Do you find the vilification of Margaret Thatcher in some area in bad taste ? Despite what we might think of her she still was someones mother , wife etc..
My niece put a comment on Facebook about burning in hell and I could not let her say that without putting in my views . It really upset me that people could be so cruel to someone not long dead.

Nelliemoser Sat 27-Apr-13 10:49:39

Having commented on Messengers post after Riverwalk This seems to have caused a furore. So I want to explain my point again.
It was nothing to do with what Messenger as writing about or his views but just the lack of visual clarity of the unspaced text.

Elegran has defined it for me in her post of Friday 20:06.
It really brings out my dyslexia. I found Elegrans example also made my eyes go funny. I realise that I tend to over paragraph stuff I write so I can see it better.

I cannot cope well with reading more than four numbers in a row. so I record mobile numbers in groups of 4-3-4. or I lose track of where I am.

It was just a request for good spacing of ideas and points and not whole great long paragraphs of text.

I thought I had seen something about this somewhere on GN guidelines for posting. Can't find it now.

Ana Sat 27-Apr-13 10:47:48

I think it was the fact that some posters didn't find messenger's post difficult to understand which made the request for clarification seem like nit-picking.

'jonejones' was obviously meant to be cojones.

Eloethan Sat 27-Apr-13 10:42:05

The point that was being made was that it was quite difficult to understand the posting. Why that remark should get people up in arms, I can't imagine.

Nanban Sat 27-Apr-13 09:38:49

Oh I definitely trolled - looking for the gremlins!

As for all the punctuation, literary style criticisms - I think it a shame people should be taken to task - if we were standing here having a conversation we wouldn't say - you should have put in a longer pause there ..... we might say Wot but anything else would be really bad manners. Let's enjoy the different characters that come through the writing and not intimidate anyone into dropping out.

The sun shines here today and there is a cup of tea waiting .....

j08 Sat 27-Apr-13 09:38:18

grin

Bit unfortunate on a forum. grin

janeainsworth Sat 27-Apr-13 09:00:30

Sorry if this is trivialising things and I have no intention of upsetting anyone, but I can't resist.
Nanban I think you meant that you "scrolled" back a bit.
Please don't use the t-word on here grin

MiceElf Fri 26-Apr-13 21:21:34

I find your last post incomprehensible Celebgran.

celebgran Fri 26-Apr-13 20:38:28

Another one similar meaning actions speak louder than words does that make it clearer mic elf.

This is public forum we all entitled to our opinion amazes me how some members want to turn it all into some totally boring drawn out saga yawn yawn.

Elegran Fri 26-Apr-13 20:38:18

I'd say that in a way it was a compliment to Messenger that he was asked to make it clearer. If he didn't usually seem capable of writing clearly, then no-one would embarrass him by drawing attention to it and wanting it explained. Many people don't type or spell very well but their posts are still welcomed and not criticised. But because he normally does write so that it is easy to read, it was noticeable that that post was a bit trying to follow.

celebgran Fri 26-Apr-13 20:33:06

Nanban that is excellent I did try make that pint myself but people often choose ignore the positive good Margaret thatcher did.

Ana Fri 26-Apr-13 20:26:10

Elegran, I know you were making a point, but your post was at least twice as long as messenger's, and his did comprise two sentences.

Yes, it was a bit trying following your post, but it was certainly possible, and I'm not going to be asking you to make it clearer...

annodomini Fri 26-Apr-13 20:23:27

Point made, Elegran. I had begun to wonder what had happened to your punctilious punctuation!

Nanban Fri 26-Apr-13 20:21:05

I have trolled back a bit but haven't found the start of all the latest vitriolic outpourings - just one small point, if the funeral had cost £10m it would still have been a small amount compared to what MT achieved for this country only part of which was the £75b she earnt in our EU rebate.

And, she was an amazing woman - never claimed to be perfect - who just did the best she could with her life, her job and our country. The lives she is supposed to have ruined - for one, our coal industry was always doomed, like so many other industries that have been outpriced and outsourced in other countries; she enhanced millions of lives who otherwise could never have dreamt of it, the chance to own their own homes and climb out of the poverty trap.

Our country has gone downhill in every way since her times and we need some of her forthright spirit now.

Elegran Fri 26-Apr-13 20:06:03

What does Messenger have to say about it does he want you all to leap in to defend him seems quite capable of defending himself can write a perfectly good sentence when he wants to was even asking how does one become a local editor how would you like to read on a Gransnet newsletter an article which was all written one thing after another all following on like a row of elephants holdingone anothers tails have never seen elephants in real life doing that but that is how they are always pictured maybe the pictures were posed what do you think is it possibly because you were already put out by something miceelf said earlier it could be that you lot do have a habit of carrying an argument into the next thing someone posts about and turning a discussion into an argument I have seen lots of posts from people who don't like it when someone uses a word they are unfamiliar with because it makes them stop and go and look that word up well it is the same when someone cant stop in between sentences and take a breath before they continue.

Ana Fri 26-Apr-13 19:49:52

I work as well.

j08 Fri 26-Apr-13 19:44:33

When I see someone on a high horse I get this overwhelming urge to shove them off of it.

Riverwalk Fri 26-Apr-13 19:36:52

Work.

Ana Fri 26-Apr-13 19:33:45

messenger posted over 24 hours ago. What kept you all? confused

Riverwalk Fri 26-Apr-13 19:29:16

j08 have you never sought clarity on a post? Threads would die an early death if no questions were asked!

It's a public forum - if I don't understand a post, it's my right to question.

Maybe messenger could reply on his own behalf.

j08 Fri 26-Apr-13 19:22:52

that was to Riverwalk

j08 Fri 26-Apr-13 19:22:33

It's not your place to! If you can't understand a post, don't reply to it!

Ana Fri 26-Apr-13 19:22:02

Agree, merlot. I understood messenger's post too - and celebgran's sentiments, however un-PC they may have seemed to some...

j08 Fri 26-Apr-13 19:21:58

"Talk is cheap" - It's easy to talk about doing things, harder to actually get things done.

I'm pretty sure that is what the expression means. smile

Riverwalk Fri 26-Apr-13 19:19:19

There's nothing insulting about asking a poster to write clearly and explain himself. He's not a child.

MiceElf Fri 26-Apr-13 19:17:55

'Talk is cheap'. Meaning?