Gransnet forums

AIBU

Roadside memorial bouquets

(190 Posts)
NfkDumpling Thu 11-Apr-13 19:56:45

Nasty bend on the coast road and must have been another fatality as a lovely old oak tree is festooned with coloured cellophane. There's probably flowers hidden somewhere in there, but all that's visible is the wrapping.

If people go to the trouble of buying flowers to mourn the loss of a loved one - why can't they take the b****y wrapping off? Is it so no one knows they've been cheapskates and only got a petrol station bunch? And in a few weeks time when the contents have long disintegrated, the b****y cellophane is still hanging there.

It makes me really, really annoyed. Is it me?

j08 Fri 07-Jun-13 14:25:59

just tell me why Aka's a panda please [appealling face]

j08 Fri 07-Jun-13 14:08:00

grin (sorry) wink

Greatnan Fri 07-Jun-13 14:06:09

I think we can guess to whom you were referring , jingle - the usual target? grin
I won't be posting on this thread again - unless I am forced to defend myself.

annodomini Fri 07-Jun-13 13:45:06

As I said, Galen at 10.57. Great minds... wink

Galen Fri 07-Jun-13 13:32:31

How about wrapping up this thread?

NfkDumpling Fri 07-Jun-13 13:29:57

And this has nothing to do with people hiding their roadside tribute flowers in too much wrapping

j08 Fri 07-Jun-13 13:29:28

When I said about "upsetting her ladyship" that was not referring to aka. Just thought I should make that clear. And I don't send nasty pm' s. Ever.

And if one was sent to me, I would put it online where it belongs - in sight of the moderators.

NfkDumpling Fri 07-Jun-13 13:26:39

I think it best to always assume the was no harm intended when abrupt remarks appear. We're all different with different ways and opinions, but I think basically nice people. It's just some are more forthright than others.

Elegran Fri 07-Jun-13 12:05:15

If someone thinks that they have had an aggressive pm, then the best way to deal with it is to publish it in full on the thread. Then there is no ambiguity about what has been said, and no chance of veiled but unspecified accusations poisoning the atmosphere.

If the pm is indeed aggressive and bullying, then the whole of Gransnet will join in condemning it. If it is not, the sender will not be tarred with vague suspicions. There was a spate of nasty pms a little while ago, which led to peopleleaving, some of them because they were so hurt, some because they were asked to go. Please don't let the forum get into all that again.

Greatnan Fri 07-Jun-13 11:55:47

May I just make it clear that I do not send aggressive pms to anybody. I think Aka could have asked for clarification in a less demanding way and I would have been happy to apologise for my failure to analyse every word in my post.

annodomini Fri 07-Jun-13 10:37:59

Interesting how very far this thread has strayed from the OP. I suggest that it should be laid to rest, without roadside flowers.

j08 Fri 07-Jun-13 09:52:47

I wonder if HQ have got a little bell on their off-duty computer that rings when someone posts something naughty late at night.

I hope I didn't get Geraldine or Cari out of bed.

j08 Fri 07-Jun-13 09:51:14

You must admit the thread's been going on for some time now. It's a bit done to death. (No pun intended)

dorsetpennt Fri 07-Jun-13 09:47:23

Good grief, I don't know about a naughty step or slapped wrists but all this nasty snipping etc on what could be an interesting post. Every time I leave GN for a week in the hopes that people will stop being horrible, I see something like this. I'm off!!!

j08 Fri 07-Jun-13 09:46:45

We have lovely sunshine here Nonu. And the sweet flowers of an early summer in an English garden.

So there! smile

j08 Fri 07-Jun-13 09:44:41

I'm going back to Game of Thrones (book form) It's easier to follow.

j08 Fri 07-Jun-13 09:43:49

I find these threads confusing. Don't know who's getting at who.

And I don't know why Aka is a panda. [shrug]

j08 Fri 07-Jun-13 09:42:24

Cazcandoit " how brave to wait till most people have gone to bed before you come out to have a pop. " shock

I was watching the effing telly up till then!

j08 Fri 07-Jun-13 09:40:24

Oh dear! Upset her Ladyship again have I? hmm (I don't mean Geraldine) (although that is also quite possible)

Aka Fri 07-Jun-13 08:15:04

when I didn't know I'd read anything wrongly until I got back off duty and read all the posts accusing me. I'm not an uncharitable person. I asked a question and got jumped on. But yes, peace smile

whenim64 Fri 07-Jun-13 08:11:14

Yes, let's stop it. It's so much easier to be a little charitable in the first place, ask for clarification and move on with the discussion. Everyone can join in then. Peace. smile

Aka Fri 07-Jun-13 07:59:31

Thanks Nfk that's it ...simples! Let's stop this now when.

NfkDumpling Fri 07-Jun-13 07:57:15

Stop it all of you or I shall have to come and slap your wrists and put you on the naughty step! It was a misunderstanding. Simples.

whenim64 Fri 07-Jun-13 07:51:32

A quote about semantics:

'Some people, always other people, twist the meanings of words, especially during the course of an argument.'
SI Hayakawa

Aka Fri 07-Jun-13 07:46:06

This nastiness all arose because the word 'they' was used as the subject in two consecutive sentences. In the second sentence as 'they' was repeated I took it to mean that it referred to the previous sentence ie 'they' meaning the roadside effigies put up (raised) the statistics of road deaths. Instead of the second 'they' had you said Greatnan that the authorities put up the statistics then it would have been clear.
It's all very well other people jumping in and saying 'I understood ' but harder to understand are those who attacked my question.
I don't know why I'm bothering to explain a genuine mistake except I'm disappointed in some GNetters for their attitude, but I'm posting this rather that replying to aggressive PMs that were sent to me.
I would like however to say that I too am 'grateful' for the support of those who could see where I was coming from.
I'm not upset by this incident but it has opened my eyes to certain posters who have done themselves no favours by revealing to others their proclivity to nastiness.