Gransnet forums

AIBU

Roadside memorial bouquets

(189 Posts)
absent Fri 12-Apr-13 13:06:25

I think this is a tradition among young people. Young drivers and/or their passengers are often killed in road accidents and their contemporaries mark their deaths with flowers, ribbon bows and other stuff.

janthea Fri 12-Apr-13 13:02:06

Surely, if they were your loved ones, you would put the flowers or whatever on their graves or memorials. Why on the side of the road? I suspect quite a few of these flowers are placed by people who have no connection whatsoever with the accident victim.

Elegran Fri 12-Apr-13 12:13:43

Risking their own lives as they do it.

Movedalot Fri 12-Apr-13 11:44:57

How do they manage to put them on motorways?

vampirequeen Fri 12-Apr-13 10:54:44

I find roadside memorials very distracting when I'm driving.

shysal Fri 12-Apr-13 10:34:34

I have seen people dicing with death to place flowers in the centre of a busy roundabout. Surely the dear departed would not wish to be the cause of another accident.
A local dangerous bend has a rose bush planted, which is always attractive and better for the environment.

gracesmum Fri 12-Apr-13 10:13:49

Not the same thing, but I have been surprised to see flowers still in their cellophane wrapping in our village churchyard - surely people know better? (Obviously not, on second thoughts)

Movedalot Fri 12-Apr-13 10:04:30

I have made it clear to my DSs that if I should die in a road accident they are not to mark it in any way. I feel that I would rather be commemorated properly with a bench on our lovely hills or something else appropriate. I don't object to others doing it if it makes them feel better but think it should be biodegradeable.

NfkDumpling Thu 11-Apr-13 22:20:23

Placing flowers as a mark of respect and memory of a loved one is a lovely thought but why hide the flowers? Plus, of course, if the wrapping is removed the flowers fade and return to the earth naturally. The cellophane seems to be left for months - I don't think anyone likes to remove it.

merlotgran Thu 11-Apr-13 20:55:22

Flowers are the most natural way of expressing sorrow, grief and sympathy. When they are spent they return to the earth from where they came.

Teddy bears, plastic, photo frames, wind chimes on the other hand....hmm

gracesmum Thu 11-Apr-13 20:41:40

Agree absolutely. Flowers - yes, cellophane wrapping, teddy bears and other tat? NO.

absent Thu 11-Apr-13 20:29:12

Apparently there is evidence that bunches of flowers, teddy bears, etc. put on trees, walls and lampposts to commemorate someone killed in an accident also cause accidents because drivers slow down to have a look. I think some police forces remove them but I'm not certain.

POGS Thu 11-Apr-13 20:19:28

Nfk

I do agree with you.

However there may be a reason why they are there. Perhaps it's somebody's loved one and they were killed whilst a long way from home. Maybe they cannot return to remove them and they just get raggy.

I don't think after a respectful period of time and the flowers have become to look in an obviously poor condition it would be unjustified to remove them. I think that way because the effect and reason is actually lost at that point and they actually look like an unkempt grave and that in turn can make the lovely thought appear hollow.

NfkDumpling Thu 11-Apr-13 19:56:45

Nasty bend on the coast road and must have been another fatality as a lovely old oak tree is festooned with coloured cellophane. There's probably flowers hidden somewhere in there, but all that's visible is the wrapping.

If people go to the trouble of buying flowers to mourn the loss of a loved one - why can't they take the b****y wrapping off? Is it so no one knows they've been cheapskates and only got a petrol station bunch? And in a few weeks time when the contents have long disintegrated, the b****y cellophane is still hanging there.

It makes me really, really annoyed. Is it me?