Gransnet forums

AIBU

talking to the dogs...

(60 Posts)
Galen Sun 12-May-13 16:00:53

Not always!

Nelliemoser Sun 12-May-13 15:37:12

Galen At least talking to yourself is one sure way of getting an intelligent conversation.

I talk to my budgies by refering to myself as "mummy" or "Nanna" since I became a Nanna. I know which it should be but I don't always say the right word.

whenim64 Sun 12-May-13 14:57:31

I talk to my dog all the time. She's very vocal and wanders round the house muttering about life in general, such as when she can see the postman or squirrels on 'her' fence. All in all, there's usually quite a bit of chat going on between us. I assumed that's what everybody did! grin

Sook Sun 12-May-13 14:54:15

inthefields over the years I became very fluent in Catmandu (cat speak) and I had very interesting conversations with all the beautiful cats I've known and loved.

Now grin I have greyhounds (two of them Irish) and I talk to them all the time and find myself answering back in an Irish accent.

Yes I am barking mad and if I were to reveal my surname you would laugh or should it be woof grin

Nonu Sun 12-May-13 14:38:51

Yeas , but you always get the replies you need galen . like it !

Galen Sun 12-May-13 14:36:04

You're all barking!grin
Actually not having any pets, I talk to myself, which is, I think, worse!

tanith Sun 12-May-13 14:23:49

I talked to my cats all the time but now that I am 'catless' I find my self talking to myself sometimes I'm not even sure if its in my head or whether I spoke out loud... confused

inthefields Sun 12-May-13 14:21:28

smile Tegan
I have one who talks incessantly, one who only chats if he thinks his needs aren't being met, and one quite shy girl who hardly ever "chats". However, I suspect they all decided long ago that I am not their intellectual equal grin

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 14:00:27

Well, I'm pretty sure that the dogs don't answer back but I'd be very surprised if the siamese didn't [along with instigating conversations constantly 24/7]. Or have you got a quiet one [?].

inthefields Sun 12-May-13 13:46:01

(or "Paws for thoughts"!)

So, I live my myself, most of the time. I am in my fifties, still work three days a week (albeit from home) and make a lot of decisions routinely within the work role, so I would have said that I am mentally fairly robust and do not have any evidence of dementia (despite the usual memory lapses of losing glasses etc) BUT ......

..today I realised I have conversations with the dogs, and the siamese!
Now, to clarify, the conversations are very one-sided. I am not so far gone that I expect a reply, but did notice that I give the poor unassuming spaniels the benefit of a running commentary ....."shall we go in and have some lunch now then" "I think I am in need of a cup of tea" etc

Am I losing my marbles? ......does anyone else chat to the pets, or is it time to call the men in white?