Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be furious at further royal privileges

(158 Posts)
bluebell Sat 29-Jun-13 11:06:28

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/royal-family-granted-new-right-of-secrecy-2179148.html

whenim64 Sun 14-Jul-13 11:30:58

Yes - both monarchists and republicans are known for using the term brood mare. It's outdated and inappropriate, especially when used to put a woman down.

No - most women don't use morning sickness, especially the serious condition Kate had, to berate men or excuse themselves from getting on with life. No sooner was she out of hospital, than she finds herself being wheeled out in public again!

Do you mind if I get back to being a republican, instead of having to keep coming out to defend the Duchess of Cambridge? grin

MOGGSY77 Sun 14-Jul-13 11:16:55

Bags
Of course I,ve never suffered morning sickness, my whole point of referring to her attendance at a sports evening was that I feel it would have shown some respect for the nurse.Would it matter how many times she had attempted self harm, if in fact she did. What is vital to my point a member of the royal family was insensitive enough not to recognize that family's feelings, The morning sickness is a side issue and, quite honestly used by women to berate whenever a mere male criticizes a female. How do the pregnant women in Anglsey feel to know they must put up with a maternity system not considered suitable for a possible future monarch. For what its worth many female historians, including Lady Antonia Fraser refer to royal brood mares on many and diverse occasions. Let me know what the rules are and I will stick by them. OK for a woman to make such a mention but not a male. That is taking feminism to its extreme, oops sorry, am male and shouldn't query what is, apparently an entirely female province.When thing went pear shaped with Diana's wedding she let it be know, widely, she had no option but to undergo a gynecological examination before her engagement to a future king who made it public he, by tradition was entitled to have as many mistresses as he pleased, including yet another royal duchess who cuckolded her husband publicly and unashamedly.
ps
The reference to a genuine university degree was a compliment to her.
Peter

whenim64 Sun 14-Jul-13 10:59:56

Is it a republican thing? I object as a feminist because it is used pejoratively about a woman, and I'm sick of women being seen as fair game for sexist comments. I know it's a well-worn term that lots of people accept, and that women marrying into the royal family will be scrutinised for their fertility, but it bothers me. A broodmare with foal at her side is a beautiful sight, but we all know that is not meant when referring to women.

merlotgran Sun 14-Jul-13 10:49:31

Oh not that well worn 'brood mare' phrase again. Why do (some) republicans on here resort to insults just to make the same old point?

I don't take any notice of men making dismissive comments on morning sickness. Like they'd know anything about it?

Tegan Sun 14-Jul-13 09:52:46

I'd like to bet that her fertility was checked out before the marriage.

nightowl Sun 14-Jul-13 09:49:12

I think the term 'brood mare' is common currency when referring to royal brides. It was certainly used to refer to Diana. It kind of goes with the territory, and in reality, that's what their role is I'm afraid. All very outdated.

whenim64 Sun 14-Jul-13 09:15:05

My feminist hackles must be more touchy than yours, Bags! grin

Tegan Sun 14-Jul-13 09:14:48

I don't wish to speak ill of the dead but think that it was later revealed that the nurse that committed suicide had tried to do so before and therefore the incident at the hospital may not have been the sole reason for her death.

Bags Sun 14-Jul-13 09:09:47

It wouldn't bother me to be called (have been called; too late now!) a brood mare. I don't suppose it bothers Kate either, if she even knows that the moggsies of this world refer to her thus.

whenim64 Sun 14-Jul-13 09:02:34

I think the 'brood mare' reference in this case was being used as a derogatory term for this woman, bags. No objection to its use in the usual context smile

Bags Sun 14-Jul-13 08:54:12

one day

No objection to the phrase "brood mare". It's just a way of saying fertile young animal, which Kate is.

Bags Sun 14-Jul-13 08:53:03

Have you ever been pregnant, moggsy? Do you know anything about morning sickness? It's perfectly possible to feel foul on day and fine the next, you know.

I'm a cool-headed republican, btw.

Aka Sun 14-Jul-13 08:02:15

If you've ever seen a brood mare being covered by a stallion then I think you'd know, that in this day and age, the term is frankly ridiculous Peter.

whenim64 Sun 14-Jul-13 07:16:08

I agree with your sentiments, but brood mare's a bit strong, Peter hmm

MOGGSY77 Sun 14-Jul-13 03:28:48

The latest brood mare, who incidentally is the only member of the royal family to have gained a genuine University Degree in her own right was too unwell through morning sickness to attend a function honoring the dead and disabled soldiers serving in Afghanistan. The following evening she was fit enough to attend a Sun newspaper event honoring sportspersons on the day the body of the Asian nurse who felt so guilty at letting the royal family down was being flown back to her family in India. Both functions were a very short Royles Royce journey from whichever palace suits their individual whim to stay at any given time.
I watched the event honoring the Afghanistan event and was greatly moved by the young lass medic who rightly received a medal for immense bravery for " only doing her job " saving the the life of " the Boss." I switched off the Sun program in disgust when the tv commentator made great play of the Duchess of whatever they please to bestow on each other made great stress on her bravery in leaving her sick bed to attend the event. Remind me monarchists, just how many mattresses did the fairy tale princess suffer greatly by feeling the pea through.
3,000,000 kids dragged into poverty because "we " cant afford it. Round spherical objects
Peter

Ariadne Sat 13-Jul-13 17:40:29

He is a former barrister and a well known journalist; this article is from "The Independent" but he has worked / does work for the "Daily Mail". in both cases he is editor of home affairs.

Anyone can comment on the Royal Family, I suppose.

Nonu Sat 13-Jul-13 16:43:48

Who on earth is this bloke to comment on the Royal Family.

I did not find even faintly amusing.

Probably some third rater, [embarressed] for him

merlotgran Sat 13-Jul-13 16:38:12

I had a look at the comments but it's all been said before.

We have a monarchy, the Queen is doing a good job in my view and I hope the monarchy continues to thrive. Of course republicans are entitled to have their say so we'll have to wait and see what happens when the Queen dies.

whenim64 Sat 13-Jul-13 16:33:08

Merlot yes, it's a comedy article, but as I said before it's the comments afterwards that I found interesting.

whenim64 Sat 13-Jul-13 16:31:08

Yes, I did, lilygran. That's why I posted it because I hadn't seen as many accepting views as on there. I don't agree with them all, obviously, but I did think it would be good to share the range of views. smile

Lilygran Sat 13-Jul-13 16:24:41

If you click on when's link AND read the comments, you may come to the same conclusion as me, that they seem to have covered the arguments quite comprehensively! Did you read them, when ?

Ceesnan Sat 13-Jul-13 16:23:25

I honestly don't know why I think it's acceptable, to me it's just the way it's always been and I see nothing wrong with it. I certainly don't resent them having a life of wealth and privilige, why should I? I might envy parts of their lifestyle, who wouldn't like unlimited funds for example? It's not a proper answer, just the way I feel..... It ain't broke etc etc.

merlotgran Sat 13-Jul-13 16:21:55

The point of a comedy article is surely not to take it seriously? confused

Spitting Image had a great take on the Royal Family behind closed doors but I don't think it produced many republicans.

I'm quite happy to accept the Royals for who they are and what they do.

whenim64 Sat 13-Jul-13 15:53:23

I found this Huff Post article from last year interesting because of the variety of comments posted after it - they run to a third page.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/philip-hepple/royal-family-has-run-its-course_b_1846902.html

whenim64 Sat 13-Jul-13 15:35:09

I didn't use the word 'justify' Merlot. I was interested to know what makes it acceptable. I'm not angling for an argument - it's a discussion. Peace!