Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think it's all got a bit silly?

(101 Posts)
bluebell Mon 08-Jul-13 02:10:09

I know there are lots of tennis fans ( and Andy fans especially ) on GN but please, it was only a tennis match he won, he hasn't exactly achieved world peace. There's a slight feeling of hysteria in the air which I fear will only be extinguished by..... can't even bear to put THAT into words. Sighs

Ana Mon 08-Jul-13 21:31:00

Yes, Andy Murray is the first to win the men's singles in 77 years.

ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/andy-murray-virginia-wade-first-brit-wimbledon/

merlotgran Mon 08-Jul-13 21:28:29

The last time I saw her on Telly, Virginia Wade wasn't a man but stranger things have happened.

nanaej Mon 08-Jul-13 21:27:47

As a former Wimbledon resident (most of my life) but not a tennis fan I am happy for AM to have his day and for the rest of GB sports fans to enjoy his success. I think it is a happy success story so good luck to him!
I had a houseful of friends around yesterday for lunch.. some were keen fans and kept dashing into watch the TV...I did not mind!

Marelli Mon 08-Jul-13 21:24:08

Just looked that up, oblalala. 1977. confused

oblalala Mon 08-Jul-13 21:13:10

All this fuss about the first British winner for 77 years - everyone seems to have forgotten Virginia Wade, but maybe being a woman they all think she isn't a real winner? Herumph!

Ella46 Mon 08-Jul-13 20:11:12

Quite, Anno, a very good thing.

annodomini Mon 08-Jul-13 20:08:28

THIS makes his win all the more worthwhile.

FlicketyB Mon 08-Jul-13 20:05:04

Glad to know I am not the only person who did not have a clue who Bradley Cooper and Gerard Butler were

Grannyknot Mon 08-Jul-13 19:55:33

I'm not a big tennis fan, but got caught up in the excitement of Andy must win, and I think it's wonderful that there's a new sporting hero, and janea I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

I love it that something can make people so happy that they are delirious with delight and do silly things. grin

annieseed Mon 08-Jul-13 19:48:11

For me it is a relief after all the news we get. I can understand if tennis doesn't interest people. There are sports that send me to sleep but I do love tennis. I played it at school.

janeainsworth Mon 08-Jul-13 19:25:16

To me what was great about yesterday was that Andy's victory was so well-deserved - there was nothing fluke-y or lucky about it, he was playing the world no1, not someone who had sneaked into the final by beating a worthier opponent on an off-day as sometimes happens, and did so with amazing consistency and mental courage.
The other great thing was Djokovic's sportsmanship and magnanimity in his speech after the game - what a gentleman.

HildaW Mon 08-Jul-13 19:18:06

Getting back to the original question...No its not got all silly, he only did it yesterday, let him have his moments of pride, fame and adulation. He and his family have worked so hard and although I've never been a fan of his I can admire his hard work and determination. Its taken us 77 years to get this..lets all say 'Well done' and raise a cheer. News is usually full of such nasty stuff its nice to have a good story leading the news.
Mind you, if we are all still banging on about it next month I might change my mind.

Butty Mon 08-Jul-13 18:56:17

Ah-ha! smile
Thanks. All makes sense now.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 17:55:13

Translation of yooman beans – human beings.

Tegan Mon 08-Jul-13 17:32:49

Going back to the subject of flags, when we go to Cheltenham for the Festival each March there are always plenty of Irish winners and, when they win the Irish flag is draped over them and waved. Now, I love it, and so does everyone else. Except for the fact that I wonder what would happen if we went to Punchestown and waved an English flag if an English horse won? Well, I know what would happen [and it's never likely to happen for that reason]. It just seems unfair. As for the politicians on Sunday [from all parties] shame on them for trying to get brownie points. It was Andy's day and Andy's victory. They were all as bad as each other, flag waving or otherwise.

Butty Mon 08-Jul-13 17:28:42

What are Yooman Beans?? confused.

I may have missed the reference because I've left my glasses by the side of the swimming pool at a friends house, and am peering fuzzily at GN with a mint tea before I brave the heat again to fetch them. (No air-con in the old car).
All completely inconsequential to this thread. Ah well.......it's been a lovely day. smile

soop Mon 08-Jul-13 17:10:17

Bags you make me grin

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 16:35:17

Yooman beans are mad.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 16:34:44

It has just occurred to me, again, how sexist our formal clothing 'rules' are. It's allright for women to be scantily dressed (even in stuff that looks like underwear) because women are decorative and don't have to looks serious. Whereas men have to look pompous in suits. So at every formal event, the men are wearing at least two layers of clothing, buttoned and tied up in their shirts and collars and ties, not to mention jackets, and women can have vast expanses of décolletage.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 16:22:50

I'm not blaming England.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 16:22:02

Yes, anno. But would Cameron have been refused entry if he'd arrived without a tie? Or would he have been thrown out if he'd taken it off?

I would if I were a man.

Stupid rules.

noodles Mon 08-Jul-13 16:21:10

Bags Blaming England has always been the easy answer - "their fault, not mine". That way, you don't have to address the problem.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 16:20:34

I think that there should be a purely English parliament for purely English concerns, just as there are Welsh and Scottish ones for purely Welsh and Scottish concerns. I think it was a big mistake not to arrange that. So I agree, the West Lothian question needs to be resolved. No idea how though.

annodomini Mon 08-Jul-13 16:19:13

Isn't it a crazy convention that all the men in the Royal Box had to wear suits and ties while the women could be as cool as they liked? Posh's dress looked like her underwear.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 16:18:14

You could be right, noodles, but I think some Scots do feel England has dominated in various ways. Thus the desire for independence in some quarters.

I'm not a Scot, btw. I just live in Scotland, and love it because its beauty appeals to me.