Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think it's all got a bit silly?

(100 Posts)
Aka Mon 08-Jul-13 12:50:57

Of course this is cause for celebration. It's been a long time coming, Andy Murray has shown dedication, drive and tenacity. He was playing under huge pressure and in extreme heat. He is an inspiration to all young aspiring sports people.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 12:41:32

Plus talent, of course.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 12:41:19

Gumption, strength, and masses of training.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 12:40:32

Hear, hear!

whenim64 Mon 08-Jul-13 12:22:13

I think his resilence and fortitude, under extreme pressure and a temperature of 43 degrees, was astounding. It takes real gumption to keep going and not crack - same for Djokavic - two magnificent players.

soop Mon 08-Jul-13 12:05:56

I shall never forget that tennis match. It took an extraordinary effort to play in that heat in front of that crowd...and WIN! The glee on the faces of the spectators was special. So, thank you, Andy Murray. grin

annodomini Mon 08-Jul-13 09:25:52

There are other radio stations and TV channels, if you MUST listen or watch. 5Live was unbearable this morning - the Today programme only slightly less so. Came downstairs, turned the TV on and there was Bill conducting a lovely interview with Helen Mirren. For a change!

mollie Mon 08-Jul-13 09:24:22

We don't have much to celebrate here in the UK so a bit of happy hysteria makes a nice change. It will die down soon.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 09:19:50

ella, quite grin

Ella46 Mon 08-Jul-13 09:18:40

It's cheered up a lot of people, which is a good thing smile
Besides, the media have to justify their existence don't they?

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 09:16:34

jings smile

sunseeker, not saying you should switch off your radio or telly. Just suggesting that if today's tennis fever irks you, that would be a way to avoid it.

I guess I just get tired of people moaning about the inevitable.

sunseeker Mon 08-Jul-13 09:11:28

Why should I switch off my radio? I like to listen to the local news, weather and traffic reports. I'm not saying not to report and celebrate AMs win just don't go overboard like my local radio has this morning.

As I said I am not a tennis fan, but accepted that BBC was going to be more or less wall to wall tennis during Wimbledon (and no I didn't watch the final - I went out and did something else).

j08 Mon 08-Jul-13 09:08:37

In Dunblane they were partying round their gold postbox. smile

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 09:05:11

People can be as silly as they like. It doesn't bother me.

Bags Mon 08-Jul-13 09:04:49

If people switched off their tellies and radios, they wouldn't notice the 'silliness'.

sunseeker Mon 08-Jul-13 08:57:12

I am not a tennis fan but I appreciate what an immense thing AM has done however I have to agree with the OP about the hysteria that has been shown. Yes ,yesterday when he won it was to be expected but this morning on local radio every other item has been about his win, I have heard the final shot at least 6 times this morning! (they are now at some local tennis courts - no-one else is there but they are still trying to make a story of it!). I may have to change to a different station!

Stansgran Mon 08-Jul-13 08:41:44

If only the interviewers were not so inane..

jeanie99 Mon 08-Jul-13 08:09:33

You have to accept that everyone has their own individual likes and not let it irritate you.

I don't particularly like tennis it's not my thing but it's good to see Britain winning for once at Wimbledon.

The British and Irish Lions won against Australia this weekend and I know because my SIL daughter and husband were shouting their heads off while I worked in the garden.

bluebell Mon 08-Jul-13 07:11:04

Ariadne - if only it were the cricket I feared!!

bluebell Mon 08-Jul-13 07:10:02

Laidback - my point was not about what he has achieved but about the slightly manic reaction. Breads and Circuses? MiceElf confused

MiceElf Mon 08-Jul-13 06:55:00

And the motor cars never stop...

kittylester Mon 08-Jul-13 06:54:30

Yippee - I love cricket!

Ariadne Mon 08-Jul-13 06:51:15

Cricket next....

laidback Mon 08-Jul-13 03:11:07

Oh get over it....Andy's achievements are great! He's Wimbledon Champion. A great brit, a supreme athlete. Excited the country with his brilliant tennis. Give the man his dues.....could you do something similar??

bluebell Mon 08-Jul-13 02:10:09

I know there are lots of tennis fans ( and Andy fans especially ) on GN but please, it was only a tennis match he won, he hasn't exactly achieved world peace. There's a slight feeling of hysteria in the air which I fear will only be extinguished by..... can't even bear to put THAT into words. Sighs