Gransnet forums

AIBU

Think I have decided to put house up for sale..any tips..??

(35 Posts)
Greatnan Wed 07-Aug-13 06:24:53

Good luck. Can you make friends with the next-door tenants and get them to tidy up, or at least let you do it?

Charleygirl Tue 06-Aug-13 22:48:02

I am afraid that i would not view your house if I saw the state of the house and garden next door!

Tegan Tue 06-Aug-13 22:30:01

Think you really need to do something about the house next door, biker. Could you contact the lettings agent? Also, check out properties local to you on Right Move so you can weigh up the opposition.

Galen Tue 06-Aug-13 22:21:54

Lavender furnish polish makes me feel good. Try to make my cleaner use it, but she prefers the quick and easy ones!sad

vegasmags Tue 06-Aug-13 22:19:47

Biker - may I talk about smell? Of course all our houses have their own particular aroma, which we don't notice because we are used to it. I've found that when I return from holiday I can smell my own house, but then I quickly become accustomed to it. When house hunting, there are certain smells that put me right off - animals (although I am an animal lover), smoke and the attempt to mask it with air freshener or scented candles, a damp or musty smell, fresh paint (what are they trying to hide?). I like a house that is not only really clean, but smells fresh and well aired out.

Galen Tue 06-Aug-13 22:16:14

When I saw my house, it was painted brown and bright blue inside. Useless kitchen and bathroom, garden had not been touched 5years. I wanted detached, it was a middle terrace, I wanted S facing garden, it's N facing!

BUT THE VIEWgrin I fell in love and have now been here for a few years (35 to be exact) and although its far to big 'I shall not be moved, I shall not be moved etc:'

grannyactivist Tue 06-Aug-13 21:58:12

Oh dear Biker sorry to hear of your difficulties sad. I'm assisting a relative with house hunting at the moment and we look at a lot of practical things things like:
how old is the boiler/when was it last serviced?
is the roof sound?
does the house need rewiring/plumbing?
is the house well insulated?
does the house appear to have been well maintained?
is there double glazing?
are there signs of damp?
A dirty house is off putting, but I don't mind if a house is simply untidy or cluttered - that's easily remedied.

Yesterday we looked at a HUGE double fronted 6 bedroom house that was lived in by a couple about to retire and return to their roots; they're moving to a bigger house because they don't have enough room in their present one!! shock It was true too, there was ample storage in every room, but all the cupboards and wardrobes etc. were chock a block.

LizG Tue 06-Aug-13 21:46:25

Oh biker, what can I say but sending some (((hugs))). Thinking about the house, if you haven't already done so speak to the Estate Agent who should be able to tell you the sort of things you need to do and usually it is not as much as you expect because people like to make the house their own.

Look after yourself flowers

tanith Tue 06-Aug-13 21:46:19

I've only ever been put off a house if its grubby so I'd say spotless is the key factor. If people can live with a grubby house then I think they are not too fussy about maintenance etc.. so I look for a clean oven/kitchen/bathroom.. if the garden is well cared for too.

bikergran Tue 06-Aug-13 21:26:15

after thinking about it then putting it off then on then off..I/we (although the end decision will be mine) to put house up for sale.....I have never liked living here (nearly14 yrs|) in fact I have hated it..as never wanted to move from my old house....this was new build...cardboard house I call it! I was even up scaffolding 3 weeks ago painting all the outside! anyway OH has been shall we say "less tolerable" for quite some time now....but having insisted I get the Doc in last Monday..he is now on anti depressants...which help him sleep, he is loosing his sight so that is some of the problem but not all...I did initialy sugest we sell house split proceeds and go our separate ways (he would have no prob getting old folks bungalow/sheltered etc....anyway I have relented and said we will try and look for a small bungalow and small it will!! be by time we have sorted finances out there won't be much left.....anyway I have gone off my thread lol..as usual.
Any tips (Im aware of most....fresh bread lol....de cluttering etc) but what would put you ?? off a house if you went to view...as it's good to here other peoples views as we are all different.....I know next door is going to be a problem...as you have to walk past next door to get to our house..and next door is rented..grass not cut, front door never painted in 13 yrs....no letterbox on...wheelie bin outside...! in fact I shall prob undertake the job of painting the door and cutting the grass myself!! the lads only moved in last Friday so not had chance to do much yet...so any tips anyone?? what to do what not!! to do?? confusedphew need wine wine after that! lol