Gransnet forums

AIBU

Insomnia? or a weird bodyclock?

(61 Posts)
gratefulgran54 Thu 31-Oct-13 04:36:13

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping more than 6 hours at a time?
I am currently sitting here, having been up since 2.30am, because I was absolutely bushed and went to bed at 8.30pm (live alone so easy to do).
It seems the more tired I am, the less I can sleep. Can't remember the last time I had a lie-in/was woken by my alarm/ actually felt rested when I woke!
Any tips? sad

BlueBelle Tue 30-Oct-18 07:57:30

I agree Monica I don’t have any worries about having half nights I actually don’t mind it I use the time awake to listen to the radio play my word games then go back for another couple of hours Never slept till 8 though 6 would be late for me

M0nica Tue 30-Oct-18 07:48:03

I have read of the two part night sleeping pattern and that waking in the small hours is a normal procedure.

It seems that what you should do is embrace this pattern if it dominates your sleep. For example, go to bed at 10.00pm, wake at 2.00am. Get up potter around for two hours cleaning the kitchen or writing a novel or some such, then go back to bed at 4.00am and sleep until 8am.

Unfortunately I am an extreme lark and to sleep as late as 8.00am would utterly discombobulate for the rest of the day, even if I had managed to do all the ironing in the small hours.

beamac Tue 30-Oct-18 07:39:22

Been awake since 2.45 am, gave up and got up at 4. I'm so tired that I am desperate for my bed by 9.30pm but can't get to sleep easily because of my back pain and sciatica. I unfortunately suffer from chronic diarrhea and can be woken up by it any time during the night then that's sleep finished for me! wish I could nap in the daytime but I've never been able to. Off to the doc's this morning (again) to see if I can get any help for it. I remember my young days when I could sleep for England!

BlueBelle Tue 30-Oct-18 06:33:37

I think I was a cat in another life ( not that I like them when they poo in my garden) but in the afternoon if I feel a nap coming on I curl up on the floor near the gas fire and have a sleep I often think if anyone looked through the window they might think I m dead ???

Billybob4491 Tue 30-Oct-18 05:59:16

Another non sleeper here. Lucky if I sleep four hours at night, mainly read or listen to the radio, anything better than staring into the dark. Strange thing is I never feel tired during the day seem to have bags or energy.

BlueBelle Tue 30-Oct-18 05:23:22

I rarely sleep more than three or four hours at a time I really don’t see this as a problem I go to bed abound 10.30 and sleep until about 2 or 3 then have an hours or mores break (I playword games on my iPad) then usually go back to sleep until about 5 I don’t find this a problem but often have a nap in the afternoon or evening
Sounds like I m following the old fashioned way ?

Carenza123 Tue 30-Oct-18 04:23:13

My husband has sleep apnoea, since his thirties, now 72. Has panic attacks and restless leg syndrome. He only manages about 2 hours of sleep every night. He also gets panic attacks, then his body is craving sleep! This impacts in the day time and he is usually dozing during the day to catch up on sleep. Now he is disturbing me more in the night as he has panic attacks and wants me to “talk to him”! What is the solution???

Witzend Wed 20-Jun-18 10:21:25

I'm often awake for 2-3 hours in the small hours. I usually go to the spare room so I can read - or listen to the radio - without disturbing Dh. Can use Kindle without disturbing him, but not if I have a good book on the go. Often go down and make a cup of decaf tea, too.

If I feel v tired in the day, then if I can, I have no problem with a siesta - usually lie on the sofa with a book and soon nod off. Maybe it doesn't help with sleeping at night, but if I feel the need, I don't care. Since retiring I don't usually have anything to get up early for, though having said that I do usually wake quite early regardless.

JustALaugh Mon 18-Jun-18 16:36:51

I'm the same. I was so tired yesterday, after being with the grandchildren all day (up with them at 6.15 yesterday and did a lot of things with them). I went to bed at 11.45 last night, was up at 2am, 4am, then 7.15. I then did 2 lots of washing, hung it out, and went back to bed for 2 hours. I'm still tired though!

NanTheWiser Mon 18-Jun-18 14:57:54

Yawn... Reported!

Primerxmart Mon 18-Jun-18 13:51:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Primerxmart Mon 18-Jun-18 13:49:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Elegran Sat 20-Jun-15 14:07:23

"Your prescriber may only prescribe this medicine with special care or may not prescribe it at all if you:

are allergic or sensitive to or have had a reaction to any of the ingredients in the medicine
are elderly
have a personality disorder
have abused alcohol in the past
have breathing problems
have depression
have kidney problems
have liver problems
have misused drugs in the past
have myasthenia gravis
have sleep apnoea syndrome"
http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Insomnia&medicine=zopiclone&preparationZopiclone%203.75mg%20tablets

So buying it from Saferxmart online from people for whom English is clearly not the first language, and who have no idea of the patient's previous medical history, is a very bad idea.

Saferxmart Sat 20-Jun-15 13:41:37

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sewsilver Tue 05-Nov-13 08:56:44

That's a really good idea Sook. The middle of the night seems so lonely.

Sook Tue 05-Nov-13 07:57:34

Perhaps we should start a Nightnetters Forum.

LizG Tue 05-Nov-13 07:07:08

Hope you had a better night sewsilver and that your healing soon helps that pain. flowers

last night I had 7 hours sleep which has to be a record. Mind you I was exhausted and virtually incoherent when I went to bed. Just can't believe it.

Kiora Mon 04-Nov-13 22:28:52

I hope you have a better night sewsilver if its impossible remember your in our thoughts

gratefulgran54 Mon 04-Nov-13 21:57:58

sewsilver ((((big hugs)))) flowers Hope for some sleep, and a healing pelvis, for you very soon. smile

MargaretX Mon 04-Nov-13 19:01:09

I am an irregular sleeper though do manage 7 hours most nights and 30 minutes after lunch. I compare it to the good old days when I was out like a light at nights and slept 10+ hours if possible.

I do like nap after lunch but if I miss it, I daren't put my head down all day long, as my body thinks it is nap time and wakes up after 30 miutes even if it is in the middle of the night.
I love playing cards and have to stop myself playing on the computer because 2 hours of that and I often can't get off to sleep.

We have seperate bedrooms and I can't share with a friend on holiday either. Just the fact that I may not be able to get up and walk about really upsets me and then I can't get off to sleep.
if I really have to sleep like on a car ferry nights, then I take a Valium.

Sewsilver Mon 04-Nov-13 07:49:38

I used to be a champion sleeper. Over the last year whilst caring for Dh I had to be hyper vigilant at night and was waking many times. Since he died 3 weeks ago I still seem to be waking several times in the night. Part of the problem is that the pain of my fractured pelvis stops me rolling over. Im also getting almost no exercise during the day having been one of life's rushers about.I'm going to try some of these tips above.

Kate13 Mon 04-Nov-13 07:35:50

If I could borrow it tonight that would be great. Will I need someone to hit me with it? I'm sure DH would oblige but would probably be too enthusiastic.

LizG Mon 04-Nov-13 06:15:24

Looks like I managed a couple of hours so if I add my earlier two onto that it gives me four hours which could be worse. Do you want to borrow my sledge hammer * Kate*?

Kate13 Mon 04-Nov-13 05:40:51

Oops......Still awake. Anyone got something to knock me out? Think I might start writing a (!!!! ) novel.... perhaps I need some sleep. ...
Good night everybody. ..

Kate13 Mon 04-Nov-13 05:37:32

Still awake. Anyone got something to knock me out? Think I might start writing s novel....