Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want to sob uncontrollably at this solution?

(71 Posts)
bluebell Sun 24-Nov-13 19:54:32

www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/some-gender-segregation-in-islamic-talks-may-meet-balance-of-interests/2009237.article

janeainsworth Sun 24-Nov-13 20:10:48

Well perhaps sobbing uncontrollably is a bit OTT Bluebell, but I do share your disquiet.

henetha Sun 24-Nov-13 20:13:57

OMG !

thatbags Sun 24-Nov-13 20:23:59

Petition to rescind this outrageous thing that university "leaders" have endorsed: https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Universities_UK_Rescind_endorsement_of_sex_segregation_at_UK_Universities/?mobile=1

Leaders!? Leaders!? Idiots more like.

nightowl Sun 24-Nov-13 20:24:24

Shocking. And disgraceful to even consider it. Did the 60's ever happen? It seems we are intent on heading straight back to the Middle Ages.

janeainsworth Sun 24-Nov-13 20:27:17

Whose country is it anyway?

thatbags Sun 24-Nov-13 20:27:18

If UK students don't protest loudly and actively about this I'll join you in the uncontrollable weeping, bluebell. It is truly appalling.

Deedaa Sun 24-Nov-13 20:31:31

This is just wrong!

ffinnochio Sun 24-Nov-13 20:37:23

Astonished? Sadly not. Angry, you bet! No, no and no! Surely this cannot be possible.

Tegan Sun 24-Nov-13 20:56:49

This is the sort of thing that fuels the BNP and UKIP. I'm appalled.

Mishap Sun 24-Nov-13 22:01:02

Sigh.

Aka Sun 24-Nov-13 22:03:38

Yes, it is very wrong and not to be tolerated, but it will take time and protest before things improve. It is less than 60 years since Rosa Parks made a stand for black rights, and less than 30 years since women were allowed to compete in the olympic marathon. So much has been achieved already in breaking down barriers of all types but so much remains to be done.

bluebell Sun 24-Nov-13 22:24:06

This is going backwards though isn't it? The fact that university 'leaders' are sanctioning this makes me despair of what universities are supposed to be about - oh silly me, they're about making money.

petra Sun 24-Nov-13 22:40:30

I'm surprised that you are shocked by this. I'm not.

Granny23 Sun 24-Nov-13 22:57:01

Bluebell is right - this is not slow progress - it is a hugely retrograde step. Everyone is free to set up a Public Meeting or stand on a soap box and spot whatever sense or nonsense they like. It is not the job of Universities or other educational establishments to provide them with a platform for their ideas.

I would suggest that students turn up in huge numbers, dressed in transgender clothing, and sit down in a random fashion. See what the 'Authorities' make of that.

annodomini Sun 24-Nov-13 23:34:47

I'm simply bemused by the University leaders trying to please everyone and succeeding in pleasing no-one. What planet are they on?

absent Mon 25-Nov-13 01:07:59

Surely students will not be prepared to sit down – literally – under such a ruling or have they changed beyond recognition in the last 40 years?

thatbags Mon 25-Nov-13 06:40:55

Good idea, g23. Alternatively, they could all "dress" in burkas (which are not items of "clothing" anyway) and then they could sit anywhere too.
somehow or other the 'audiences' of speakers who want audience gender segregation must take the complete piss out of this.

NfkDumpling Mon 25-Nov-13 09:30:48

If they segregate left to right, are those sitting on the right superior to those on the left? And is that left / right facing the stage or from the stage? Perhaps they should consider stripes?

Iam64 Mon 25-Nov-13 11:05:55

I signed and shared the petition thatbags, many thanks. I find this issue a real challenge to my liberal leanings. It brings to mind the Dylan song with the words ' oh yes I'm liberal and to a degree, I want anybody to be free, but if you think I want moving in and marrying my daughter......."
The separation of races, cultures, faiths is worrying enough, but this kind of nonsense really needs a challenge. The problem is, the only folks who seem to stand up and shout about it are folks I wouldn't want to stand with - the EDL/BNP etc.

thatbags Mon 25-Nov-13 11:15:39

WE are standing up to it, iam. WE are calling it utter bullshitting nonsense. WE are saying allowing backward steps to "accommodate" backward ideas is ridiculous and that this "solution" from idiot university "leaders" (HA!) should be reversed forthwith.

We are liberal in our ideas. Accommodating illiberal demands is not liberal. It is merely stupid.

"university leaders" whoever pushed this idea mocks both those words.

thatbags Mon 25-Nov-13 11:16:48

I'd like to know which universities have such stupid "leaders".

Stansgran Mon 25-Nov-13 11:30:48

Signed but I wish Avaaz wouldn't shower me with petitions every time I sign one. I thought it was the university of Leicester.

whenim64 Mon 25-Nov-13 11:51:36

Signed it, too. I find it ridiculous that any student would choose a university that takes such action.

Eloethan Mon 25-Nov-13 13:25:44

This is not acceptable - demands that require an audience to be separated by race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc., should not be tolerated. I would have thought that a university, of all places, should be the first to reject such a suggestion.